Sage: Why is it not in portage?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-LINC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Sage: Why is it not in portage? Reply with quote

Hi. I was looking around for some FOSS that provides simpler Calc functionality, and someone recommend I try Sage. I found out that Sage is not in Portage, but apparently it has it's own overlay. Before I go messing around with that, can somebody explain why Sage is not in Portage? Is there something wrong with the software, or unusual about it, that makes it unsupportable?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to be a few bugs that may be related, for example this bug and this one

I think the most reasonable explanation is that there just wasn't a dev who wanted to maintain it. There is a good deal of great software that falls into this category.

If you want supported, I hear good things about sci-mathematics/octave. I have not yet tried it myself, but I hear it is a drop in replacement for maple.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
cruzki123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
There seem to be a few bugs that may be related, for example this bug and this one

I think the most reasonable explanation is that there just wasn't a dev who wanted to maintain it. There is a good deal of great software that falls into this category.

If you want supported, I hear good things about sci-mathematics/octave. I have not yet tried it myself, but I hear it is a drop in replacement for maple.

SAGE is a replacement for maple or mathematica, octave is a replacement for matlab.

Another big problem with SAGE is that they bundle quite a lot of software and the gentoo politics is trying to avoid that, so it woul be a "conflictive" ebuild to maintain.
D-LINC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy binaries batman! It has like 80 dependencies!
cruzki123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-LINC wrote:
Holy binaries batman! It has like 80 dependencies!

Moreover, there exists an overlay with a ebuild to make a source based instalation

https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the sage overlay, but in the end I went for merely installing sage in a subdirectory by myself. The source you get from the site pretty mush has all the dependencies, so it was a simple process.

Sage requires modified versions of a lot of packages you already have installed, and may break with newer versions of packages. Hence there's no point in Portage managing the sage dependencies.

Please update the table of equivalents.
A Firefox guide.
D-LINC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record: I installed Sage from sage-on-gentoo. Installation for the most part unproblematic. Tried sage itself out, and it seems to work fine.

In retrospect, though, it seems like (in my case at least) it would have been better to just figure out which /components/ I actually needed for my mathematics, and install them and use them directly. Seems like a whole lot of software to install just to get integrals and derivatives.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: