how to build static linked binaries by ebuild under gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: how to build static linked binaries by ebuild under gentoo Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have encounter a problem which make me so boring! It is well-known that gparted is one of the best tools to adjust the size of root partition. It works in live desktop environment started from live DVD easily. Gparted could also be built in live environment. However, my problem is how to build static linked binaries if I have no live DVD to extend root partition. There is less information on it although I have searched for this topic by google. A useful hint comes from the link
http://jurjenbokma.com/ApprenticesNotes/getting_statlinked_binaries_on_debian.html
It gives me two ideas:

1. Can static linked binaries be built through the ebuilds in gentoo?

if not,

2. How to build them directly from the sources?

Thanks in advance.

Easior Lars
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ebuild recognizes USE=static, that often means it will build statically linked binaries. Could you explain why you need a static gparted for this purpose, instead of using the dynamic libraries available in the live environment?
easior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
If the ebuild recognizes USE=static, that often means it will build statically linked binaries.

USE flage static, you know, is not always appeared in every ebuild. If it is just in this case, how to do that?

Hu wrote:
Could you explain why you need a static gparted for this purpose, instead of using the dynamic libraries available in the live environment?

If I only download the minimal install cd considering the bandwidth of internet, can I emerge gparted under this environment? So, 'my solution' is to build a static linked bin file of gparted instead.

Easior Lars
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program actually doing the resizing is "parted"; "gparted" is just big gnome frontend which needs lot of gnome libraries and stuff.
Linking "parted" statically makes sense, and this has a corresponding useflag. Linking "gparted" statically is probably not possible at all unless you have static libraries of practically everything.
For the purpose of resizing make sure to use <parted-3.0, since the maintainers thought it is a great idea to remove the main functionality of the program.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: how to build static linked binaries by ebuild under gent Reply with quote

easior wrote:
Hi all!

I have encounter a problem which make me so boring! It is well-known that gparted is one of the best tools to adjust the size of root partition. It works in live desktop environment started from live DVD easily. Gparted could also be built in live environment. However, my problem is how to build static linked binaries if I have no live DVD to extend root partition. There is less information on it although I have searched for this topic by google. A useful hint comes from the link
http://jurjenbokma.com/ApprenticesNotes/getting_statlinked_binaries_on_debian.html
It gives me two ideas:

1. Can static linked binaries be built through the ebuilds in gentoo?

if not,

2. How to build them directly from the sources?

Thanks in advance.

will burning SystemRescueCd on usb solves your issue?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: