I wanto watch videos from Internet
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
certem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: I wanto watch videos from Internet Reply with quote

Hi
I made several successful installations. I'm at the command environment yet.

I want to have a working installation with fewer more trials.

What I want to have is: 1) A (kept thin and lite) desktop environment gnome or kde if exists any other.

2) I want to watch videos from Internet and other browsing. I would prefer chrome or chromium instead of firefox.

I made the previous installations with the help of hand book and this forum.

What I ask is which kernel configurations, and which use flags should I deal with. The PC that I'm going to install gentoo is a Pentium 4 @ 2800 Mhz 1 GB Ram and Radeon 9600 Graphic Card. I connect to wireless router through a USB dongle. There is no CD no floppy the monitor is a CRT.

3) After installation if I want to add something or upgrade something what are the steps that one has to follow. Can these be done from the gnome (No detail needed at the moment just the titles will help.

Note: A reply in advance to the ones who feel a need to say that some other OS would be more suitable = I want to do it with Gentoo. :)
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, certem. Check out the Gentoo Desktop Documentation Resources. You'll see installation guides for a half dozen desktop environments, including several light weight alternates to KDE and Gnome. There's also a large thread about Enlightenment on the forums if you'd like to check that out.

Chrome is in portage: www-client/chromium; so are several other browsers. You've got a cornucopia of choice. ;)

For kernel configuration, the X Server Configuration HOWTO guide will have some advice. For your Radeon 9600 Graphic Card, see the Gentoo Linux ATI FAQ. For USE flags, my recommendation is to mostly let the profile set them for you. Use "eselect profile" to see the available ones. I'd recommend default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop if you choose one of the light weight desktop environments. You'll see that there are specific profiles for KDE and Gnome.

In Gentoo, upgrades are typically done from the command line, with emerge. The Handbook covers that and that should be your principal guide. There is app-portage/porthole, though, if you want a graphical front-end for emerge.

- John
certem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John thank you for the reply. It's been helpful for me.

I couldn't figure out whether I should follow the handbook and reboot and then go on with lxde (I decided on lxde) installation or should I make the changes to the make.conf and use flags while I follow the handbook.

I guess both way will work and one will have advantages and disadvantages over the other but I'm not clear as I said I guess.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, most USE flags should be set by just selecting the desktop profile. Also note that you need to install X before you install LXDE.

You should definitely prove that you have a stable, bootable console only Gentoo install before proceeding with desktop environment stuff.

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: