View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nichocouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Hibernate broken GeForce GTX 550 Ti + recent kernel [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have issues with X when hibernating. All goes well with kernel up to 3.4 (e.g. up to gentoo-sources-3.4.24) but from kernel 3.5 series onwards, my screen is completely garbled after wake up.
My dmesg shows lots of lines like
Code:
[  574.956896] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH: TRAP ch 1 status 0x00000010

I have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti.
Anyone aware of something having changed in the kernels which has broken power management for nouveau drivers?
Cheers,

L'Etat, c'est moi.

Last edited by nichocouk on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
nichocouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made some more tests, updated to the latest (unstable) ebuilds for x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau (1.0.6) and sys-kernel/gentoo-sources (3.7.7) but the problem is still there.
I have also noted something strange: in fact, X sort of "works fine". If I don't do anything and the screensaver starts, then the screensaver actually works fine, looks fine, and the dialog box to unlock the screen saver is fine. But when the screensaver stops, it is my main session which is garbled. So, it could be a problem with how the window manager or other XFCE related programs interact with my video card that cause the problem?
When this happens, I have to log out and log in again, i.e. restarting the X session solves the problem. But in fact, it may be more closely related to restarting the xfce session itself (since I have observed that the screensaver works fine).
Anyone has any idea if the error messages I've mentioned in my dmesg are saying something useful?
So far, everything is OK if I use the latest x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau ebuild together with a gentoo-sources-3.4.x kernel

L'Etat, c'est moi.
nichocouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated my kernel to gentoo-sources-3.7.8 but the problem remains.
My config regarding nouveau looks like this:
Code:

CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y
CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG=5
CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG_DEFAULT=3
# CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU_BACKLIGHT is not set

Should I try to build nouveau as a module and blacklist it in my hibernation.conf?

L'Etat, c'est moi.
nichocouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now tried with gentoo-sources-3.8.0 and it doesn't work either.
I think I will have to forget about the in-kernel support for nouveau, and use nividia's driver instead.
I vaguely remember that something induced me to choose nouveau rather than nvidia for my card's driver when I installed gentoo on this box, but I can't remember what... Maybe something related to dual-head monitor.
mmh.... I have to think about this further, but as usual, if anyone has any input related to my issues here, all welcome! Feel free to make this monologue a lively dialogue :D

L'Etat, c'est moi.
popsUlfr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichocouk wrote:
Feel free to make this monologue a lively dialogue :D

Hehe, I'll be the other voice in your head then ;)
I think this is the bug affecting you -> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=879554
No solution as of yet though...

But you may be able to write some dirty hooks accepted in systemd, pm-utils or any other suspend mechanism you're using which forcefully unload and reload the nouveau module while resuming. I really don't have much knowledge on the subject since I just use the default hibernation function from time to time on my laptop which uses intel graphics.
nichocouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi popsUlfr, thanks for keeping me company.
I've decided to switch to nvidia-driver instead of nouveau, and now hibernate works fine.
I can now manage to upgrade my kernel to 3.6, though nvidia-driver does not support kernels more recent than that at the moment... That's another story!
Cheers.

L'Etat, c'est moi.
popsUlfr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichocouk wrote:
Hi popsUlfr, thanks for keeping me company.
I've decided to switch to nvidia-driver instead of nouveau, and now hibernate works fine.
I can now manage to upgrade my kernel to 3.6, though nvidia-driver does not support kernels more recent than that at the moment... That's another story!
Cheers.

No, that is not true. I'm running the 3.7.6 kernel with nvidia-drivers-313.18, the patch to make it compatible with post-3.6 kernels is in the portage tree.
nichocouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is true. I am running nvidia-drivers-310.32. We must have a different card.

L'Etat, c'est moi.
popsUlfr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichocouk wrote:
Yes it is true. I am running nvidia-drivers-310.32. We must have a different card.

What do you mean? Even if we have different models we are still using the same driver and 313.18 DOES work with the 3.7 kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: