View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivorne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Login as guest (without password) Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to create something like Guest account on my computer so I people who will use my computer will not have to enter password. I managed to create an account named 'guest', which does not require password when logging in with terminal. But when i try to log in with display managers (lightdm, gdm2), they want password (and they don't log in, when I let password blank). I am using xfce+compiz, so I dont want to install kdm or gdm3.

Could you please give mi some advice, how to solve this?

Thank you,
Ivorne
rmzelnick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ivorne,
I've found a topic on lightdm in the ubuntu forums http://askubuntu.com/questions/62564/how-do-i-disable-the-guest-session from what I read there's an allow-guest option in the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
I guess you have to set it to 'true', also check /usr/share/doc/lightdm-<version> for a sample of lightdm.conf (there might be hints over there on how to setup a guest account to login)
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always have a sticky note "user: guest pass: user" like the library ;-)
netfab
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using x11-misc/slim. Works fine with (in slim.conf) :
Code:

# default user, leave blank or remove this line
# for avoid pre-loading the username.
default_user anonymous

# Automatically login the default user (without entering
# the password. Set to "yes" to enable this feature
auto_login          yes
Ivorne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for advices, but not solved yet.

netfab: i don't want to autologin, i want to be able to login as my usual user with password or with guest without password

666threesixes666: I think I will have to do it this way, but I don't like it. That is why i use Linux and especialy Gentoo - not to have things like sticky notes everywhere

rmzelnick: I tried it already and that could be what i want. But there is problem, that it does not work at all. I think, that it needs some fuzzy Ubuntu magic. I tried setting allow-guest to true both with gtk-greeter and unity-greeter, it didn't work. According to this: http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2012/May/45, this option on Ubuntu does not require any existing guest account. Thas revieals, that I would need some magic to use it on Gentoo. And that is what I dont want to do. Unfortunately, /usr/share/doc/lightdm-<version> didnt help

Maybe just special Grub entry that will autologin guest would be sufficient. Could you give me some advices, where to start?

Or do you think, that it would be hard, to modify sources of some existing Display Manager (or rather jusr lightdm-gtk-greeter) to do the job?

Thank you,
Ivorne
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: