Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Improvement] find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: [Improvement] find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -typ Reply with quote

The Gentoo Handbook has this awesome command for helping you locate the kernel modules you've installed:
Code:
find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko' | less
Pretty much every time I upgrade my kernel I end up opening up the Handbook for this command, just so I don't miss any new modules. But the list it gives you is ugly, with absolute paths and .ko filename extensions. How can you make this a little easier? With a bit of logic. Behold:
Code:
find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/  -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko' | sed "s/.ko//" | sed 's/^.*\///'
This gives you a nice list of modules your kernel version can use.
How does it work? The first sed command has three parts in it's "s/.ko//"
s - substitute the text between the first set of forward slashes for the text in the second set of forward slashes.
/.ko/ - look for lines that contain this text.
// - replace .ko with the text here, in this case replace .ko with nothing.
That gets us a list of absolute pathnames without filename extensions. The second sed command uses two special characters to remove the directory names with sed 's/^.*\///'.
/^.*\// - "^" means start at the beginning of the line. "." matches any character, and "*" means patch the preceding (any) character zero or more times. The "/" we are looking for (the last "/" in the line) is escaped with "\" because "/" has special meaning to the sed program and most GNU-style regular expression handling.
It appears that the default behaviour of sed searches right to left; I'm sure there is a way to change that, but in this case it works.
Now you have a list of filenames, but they are all on one line. I couldn't think of an existing Linux command that would combine these into a single line, so I wrote one in Perl:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

my @strings;

while ($in = <>)
{
    push (@strings, $in);
}

foreach $s (@strings)
{
    chomp($s);
    print $s . " ";
}

print "\n";
Simply save to a .pl file and chmod a+x. I copied this program to /usr/local/bin/oneline.pl. Now you have a quick an easy method to grab all those modules to /etc/conf.d/modules.
Code:
find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/  -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko' | sed "s/.ko//" | sed 's/^.*\///' | oneline.pl
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: [Improvement] find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ Reply with quote

wjholden wrote:
Code:
find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/  -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko' | sed "s/.ko//" | sed 's/^.*\///'

wjholden ... you might save the additional pipe/sed by using awk for the pattern/field.

Code:
% find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko' | awk -F"/" '{gsub(/.(ko|o)$/,""); print $NF}'

Note that the -iname '*.o' would either be unnecessary, or would need to be accounted for in the substitution.

wjholden wrote:
Now you have a list of filenames, but they are all on one line. I couldn't think of an existing Linux command that would combine these into a single line, so I wrote one in Perl
[...]
Code:
find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/  -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko' | sed "s/.ko//" | sed 's/^.*\///' | oneline.pl

You can use a 'printf' ...

Code:
% find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/  -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko' | awk -F"/" '{gsub(/.(ko|o)$/,""); printf $NF" "}'

best ... khay
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: [Improvement] find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ Reply with quote

I find it vaguely unsettling that a Cisco-certified individual would take such a long way to achieve such a simple result, especially since you then go on to explain sed regular expressions in detail. :) Even setting aside the nice rewrite that khayyam gave you, there are better ways to do what you want.
wjholden wrote:
Behold:
Code:
Why use two calls to sed? You can pass two (or more) expressions to a single sed, if you name each of them as explicit expressions: sed -e "s/.ko//" -e 's/^.*\///'.

Why use -iname? Kernel module names are always .ko, never .kO, .Ko, or .KO.
wjholden wrote:
Now you have a list of filenames, but they are all on one line. I couldn't think of an existing Linux command that would combine these into a single line
According to the documentation, xargs has an implicit command of /bin/echo when invoked without an explicit command. You could also use xargs printf '%s ', though that is somewhat longer. For some unusual inputs, you may need to use xargs -d'\n'.
wjholden wrote:
so I wrote one in Perl:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
You missed both use strict; and use warnings FATAL => qw(all);. You enabled warnings, which is good, but you did not make them fatal.
wjholden wrote:
Code:

my @strings;

while ($in = <>)
{
    push (@strings, $in);
}

foreach $s (@strings)
{
    chomp($s);
    print $s . " ";
}
Why build a temporary array just to print it back? Chomp the lines as you get them, and print them on the spot.
Code:
while(<>){chomp;print "$_ ";}

You could avoid one sed transform and the use of the oneline.pl script with a good use of -printf:
Code:
find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -type f -name '*.ko' -printf '%f '

[Edit: my initial advice used the wrong format specifier in the find -printf that I recommended. The correct specifier for this usage is %f, not %P as I originally stated.]

Last edited by Hu on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough crowd ;)

Great ideas and advice, both of you. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: