[SOLVED] About kernel upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apinsard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] About kernel upgrade Reply with quote

Hello,

I just installed Funtoo with kernel vanilla 3.7.5. When I run emerge -uDN --with-bdeps=y @world, it looks like it emerged version 3.7.6 of the kernel. However I formerly (with another Gentoo installation) had troubles with kernel upgrade. It literally messed up my kernel configuration and I had to use genkernel to get a working system as soon as possible.

I don't want to make the same mistake twice. But I also don't want to spend too much time reconfiguring the kernel each time a new release is available.

Is it a good idea to stay a long time with kernel 3.7.5 (adding >sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.7.5 in package.mask)?

Or should I port my configuration from one kernel to another? What precautions to be taken? I suppose just copying .config from linux-3.7.5 to linux-3.7.6 is not a good idea.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by apinsard on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just copy your config and run
Code:
# make oldconfig

Sometimes it will prompt you to make choices, usually N is default and they are not needed (make sure to not just blast through these hitting enter just in case).
Also finish off with "make nconfig" or similar to just have a quick look and check things are set correctly, if you feel the need to.

Edit: Just to point out, this is all covered in the documentation: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml // http://www.gentoo.org/doc/fr/kernel-upgrade.xml
apinsard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will check this out.
pakjebakmeel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] About kernel upgrade Reply with quote

apinsard wrote:
Hello,

I just installed Funtoo with kernel vanilla 3.7.5. When I run emerge -uDN --with-bdeps=y @world, it looks like it emerged version 3.7.6 of the kernel. However I formerly (with another Gentoo installation) had troubles with kernel upgrade. It literally messed up my kernel configuration and I had to use genkernel to get a working system as soon as possible.

I don't want to make the same mistake twice. But I also don't want to spend too much time reconfiguring the kernel each time a new release is available.

Is it a good idea to stay a long time with kernel 3.7.5 (adding >sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.7.5 in package.mask)?

Or should I port my configuration from one kernel to another? What precautions to be taken? I suppose just copying .config from linux-3.7.5 to linux-3.7.6 is not a good idea.

Thanks for your help.

Code:
cp /usr/src/linux_old/.config /usr/src/linux_new/
cd /usr/src/linux_new/
make oldconfig
make && make modules_install

move the compiled kernel into place and update bootloader (if applicable). Lilo for instance.

o and update the linux symlink if this has not yet been done automatically.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: