Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[overlay] unity-gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sormy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm installing new clean system with stable gentoo overlay and current-state unity-gentoo overlay:

I have to add additonal packages to keywords:
Code:
dev-libs/atk
dev-libs/glib
dev-libs/gobject-introspection
gnome-base/gnome-keyring


To use flags:
Code:
gnome-base/gdm -gnome-shell


Emerge gnome-extra/zeitgeist due to circular dependencies:
Keywords:
Code:
gnome-extra/zeitgeist
dev-python/isodate
dev-python/rdflib

Code:
emerge gnome-extra/zeitgeist -1


polkit-gnome-0.105.tar.xz can't be downloaded with current ebuilds (wrong url), so i downloaded manually and put file in distfiles:
Code:
polkit-gnome-0.105.tar.xz


Finally, "emerge unity-meta -vp" show me no blocks or something else:
Code:
Total: 434 packages (2 upgrades, 1 downgrade, 413 new, 13 in new slots, 5 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 525,870 kB


But it show portage error and I have no idea how to fix that (it seems like it happen only with unity-meta package):
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 48, in <module>
    retval = emerge_main()
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/main.py", line 1021, in emerge_main
    gc_locals=locals().clear)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/actions.py", line 3837, in run_action
    myopts, myaction, myfiles, spinner)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/actions.py", line 316, in action_build
    mydepgraph.display_problems()
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 6700, in display_problems
    self._show_slot_collision_notice()
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 781, in _show_slot_collision_notice
    self._dynamic_config._slot_conflict_handler = slot_conflict_handler(self)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/resolver/slot_collision.py", line 131, in __init__
    self._prepare_conflict_msg_and_check_for_specificity()
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/resolver/slot_collision.py", line 315, in _prepare_conflict_msg_and_check_for_specificity
    for flag in violated_atom.use.enabled.union(violated_atom.use.disabled):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'enabled'


Suggestions:
1) May be it's better to mask gentoo-overlay packages instead of 99-prefixing, for example, like package.mask:
Code:
dev-libs/glib::gentoo

2) May be it's better to switch all overlay packages to ~arch branch like (with single line without per package keyword line):
Code:
*/*::unity-gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
renegart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sormy wrote:


To use flags:
Code:
gnome-base/gdm -gnome-shell


That's also a circular dependency which is not caused by Unity.

Your suggestion is interesting, if it's possible to build such slots.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiznix
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Valentyn, I can reproduce the large icon problem too by setting com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist to 'all'.
Working on this and the language problem now.

Valentyn wrote:
I would like you to add compiz-plugins-extra by default or like an extra ebuild to overlay. Ebuilds from main tree are not working because of version conflict.

What ebuilds are causing the conflict ?
I can try and make it as compatible as possible but compiz-plugins-extra was absorbed into compiz around version 0.9.8.
Also, the compiz we use is now being developed by Canonical after it seems Compiz upstream has paused or died since August 2011 at version 0.9.5.92.1 ( Gentoo's version even older at 0.8.8 ), see https://launchpad.net/compiz vs. http://releases.compiz.org/
So even if we resolve the version conflict it could well not work anyway because it's relying on such an old version of compiz.


@renegart
I've added unity-base/ido to net-im/empathy's DEPEND list.

The case of the disappearing tarballs happens when using the developmental release.
As Canonical develop and update packages in the developmental release, they delete the old tarball.
So for everyone's sanity I'm trying to keep everything at Quantal until Raring is released, then switch over to Raring.

There are some exceptions to bumping up to Raring though when there are critical bugs (the Quantal release of gtk+:3 segfaulting when using Adwaita theme is one).
Flowing on from that I've bumped all the gnome 99.3.6 packages into Raring versions so that the versions in our small subset of gnome packages closely match their respective dependency versions that are already in the portage tree.

But everything else will remain at Quantal versions as much as possible until Raring is released.


@sormy
sormy wrote:
I'm installing new clean system with stable gentoo overlay and current-state unity-gentoo overlay:

I have to add additonal packages to keywords:
Code:
dev-libs/atk
dev-libs/glib
dev-libs/gobject-introspection
gnome-base/gnome-keyring

The overlay doesn't maintain package.keyword states for packages that lie outside of the overlay and expects the user to maintain their system in this respect.

sormy wrote:
Emerge gnome-extra/zeitgeist due to circular dependencies:
Keywords:
Code:
gnome-extra/zeitgeist
dev-python/isodate
dev-python/rdflib

Code:
emerge gnome-extra/zeitgeist -1

These are packages that lie outside the overlay, perhaps need to file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org

sormy wrote:
polkit-gnome-0.105.tar.xz can't be downloaded with current ebuilds (wrong url), so i downloaded manually and put file in distfiles:
Code:
polkit-gnome-0.105.tar.xz

polkit-gnome-99.0.105-r1.ebuild has been fixed, thanks for reporting

sormy wrote:
Finally, "emerge unity-meta -vp" show me no blocks or something else:
Code:
Total: 434 packages (2 upgrades, 1 downgrade, 413 new, 13 in new slots, 5 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 525,870 kB


But it show portage error and I have no idea how to fix that (it seems like it happen only with unity-meta package):
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 48, in <module>
    retval = emerge_main()
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/main.py", line 1021, in emerge_main
    gc_locals=locals().clear)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/actions.py", line 3837, in run_action
    myopts, myaction, myfiles, spinner)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/actions.py", line 316, in action_build
    mydepgraph.display_problems()
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 6700, in display_problems
    self._show_slot_collision_notice()
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 781, in _show_slot_collision_notice
    self._dynamic_config._slot_conflict_handler = slot_conflict_handler(self)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/resolver/slot_collision.py", line 131, in __init__
    self._prepare_conflict_msg_and_check_for_specificity()
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/resolver/slot_collision.py", line 315, in _prepare_conflict_msg_and_check_for_specificity
    for flag in violated_atom.use.enabled.union(violated_atom.use.disabled):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'enabled'

I can't reproduce this without maybe installing Gentoo in a VM using the new install method.

sormy wrote:
Suggestions:
1) May be it's better to mask gentoo-overlay packages instead of 99-prefixing, for example, like package.mask:
Code:
dev-libs/glib::gentoo

Great idea!
The version prefixing is something I've never been comfortable with but saw it as a necessary beast to keep the integrity of the user's system and that of the overlay.
The user would have to implement a symlink from a package.mask file maintained in the overlay, into their own /etc/portage/package.mask/ directory as package.mask is not respected directly from overlays.

sormy wrote:
2) May be it's better to switch all overlay packages to ~arch branch like (with single line without per package keyword line):
Code:
*/*::unity-gentoo

Also another great suggestion to have this replace the current symlink of /var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/PACKAGES into /etc/portage/package.keywords/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valentyn
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:

What ebuilds are causing the conflict ?
I can try and make it as compatible as possible but compiz-plugins-extra was absorbed into compiz around version 0.9.8.
Also, the compiz we use is now being developed by Canonical after it seems Compiz upstream has paused or died since August 2011 at version 0.9.5.92.1 ( Gentoo's version even older at 0.8.8 ), see https://launchpad.net/compiz vs. http://releases.compiz.org/
So even if we resolve the version conflict it could well not work anyway because it's relying on such an old version of compiz.


But do Canonical have their own compiz-plugins-extra? (yes, they do 'cause it's possible to install that package in Ubuntu). As I know ccsm, main-plugins etc are in general ebuild.
So I just ask you to add extra-plugins for compiz. I will be very grateful to you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
renegart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small other question...
I've set up a new system with Unity. At my old system (which where initially running with Ubunutu )Thunderbird and Banshee are added to the systray menus ('letter' and 'audio' - icons).
On the new system that doesn't happens. Is there an option, which I've to set to add the programs?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiznix
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentyn wrote:
But do Canonical have their own compiz-plugins-extra? (yes, they do 'cause it's possible to install that package in Ubuntu). As I know ccsm, main-plugins etc are in general ebuild.
So I just ask you to add extra-plugins for compiz. I will be very grateful to you.

The compiz-plugins-extra package on Ubuntu is not really a package anymore but a placeholder, see http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/compiz-plugins-extra
And see it's file list here http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/all/compiz-plugins-extra/filelist

We could also have a compiz-plugins-extra package that provides nothing more than a Copyright and Changelog file, but why ?
Why are we needing to provide a compiz-plugins-extra package at all ?
What is needing it, or are you thinking that it somehow provides some extra compiz plugins ?

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiznix
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegart wrote:
small other question...
I've set up a new system with Unity. At my old system (which where initially running with Ubunutu )Thunderbird and Banshee are added to the systray menus ('letter' and 'audio' - icons).
On the new system that doesn't happens. Is there an option, which I've to set to add the programs?

Not sure (yet) as I use Evolution and Rhythmbox.
Evolution doesn't integrate to the messages indicator yet afaik, but Banshee I would have thought should have appeared in the sound indicator menu.

You could take a look at the 'interested-media-players' and 'preferred-media-players' settings in dconf-editor's com.canonical.indicator.sound schema for adding Banshee.
And the 'applications' setting in dconf-editor's com.canonical.indicator.messages schema for adding Thunderbird, though I think this will just provide a means to launch Thunderbird from the message indicator.
For Thunderbird messages indicator integration notification of incoming and unread messages, this may require a small patch for Thunderbird.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
renegart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:

You could take a look at the 'interested-media-players' and 'preferred-media-players' settings in dconf-editor's com.canonical.indicator.sound schema for adding Banshee.
And the 'applications' setting in dconf-editor's com.canonical.indicator.messages schema for adding Thunderbird, though I think this will just provide a means to launch Thunderbird from the message indicator.
For Thunderbird messages indicator integration notification of incoming and unread messages, this may require a small patch for Thunderbird.


Your tip was correct. I've compared the setting of my old system with the new one. Thunderbird.desktop need to be added to the message-indicator.
Thx :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiznix
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@renegart
Glad it worked for you ;)

Latest commit sees some big changes through the entire overlay today.

The 99. prefixing has now been removed and we rely on masking the packages from ::gentoo repo using sormy's solution (thanks sormy).

This requires some additional package.mask and package.keywords setup but should be a once off set and forget.
The overlay now requires symlinking the file 'unity-portage.pmask' to '/etc/portage/package.mask/unity-portage.pmask'
Code:
ln -s /var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/unity-portage.pmask /etc/portage/package.mask/unity-portage.pmask

All packages are keyword masked and require keyword unmasking by adding '*/*::unity-gentoo' to your package.keywords file.
You can safely remove the old /etc/portage/package.keywords/unity-gentoo symlink that points to /var/lib/layman/unity-gentoo/PACKAGES

package.unmask files override package.mask files, so be sure that none of the packages listed in 'unity-portage.pmask' already lie in your /etc/portage/package.unmask file, or if they do that they unmask in a repo specific way.
eg. www-client/chromium::unity-gentoo

There is a new eclass ubuntu-versionator.eclass.
It checks for the correct masking setup (package.mask and keyword.mask) needed for the overlay to integrate with the main portage tree.

The eclass also uses the new ebuild naming scheme to generate a valid UVER string that is used in SRC_URI.
This has the following benefits:
* Removes code duplication
* Easier patchset version bumping (ebuild now just needs to be renamed and digested, instead of the old way of open ebuild, edit ebuild, save ebuild, digest ebuild)
* Minor patchset bumps are picked up by emerge as upgrades (eg. gtk+-3.6.4's 0ubuntu5 patchset tarball is bumped up to 0ubuntu6).

Every ebuild has now been renamed to this new naming scheme.
The version_check.sh script in the top level directory has been re-worked to use the new naming scheme.

It's been thoroughly tested so all should be OK, but if you're already using the overlay you may need to do the following to ensure all packages are installed at once to upgrade/downgrade to the new ebuild naming scheme:
Code:
emerge -1a `eix -I --in-overlay unity-gentoo --only-names`


Last edited by shiznix on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sormy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see we have new naming scheme =) And world need to be reemerged now =)
Didn't test yet. But in previous overlay there are soem problems:
1) deja-dup depend on gnome-control-center but ebuild didn't know about that
2) a lot of packages from main gentoo repo need to be keyworded to build unity (i can post my files for keywords and use flags)
3) Zeitgeist have circular dependencies with unity-related use flags. So i emerge just zeitgest with default flags and after that i can emerge unity-meta.
4) Portage sometimes die when trying to resolve conflicts with emerging unity-meta (problem described above), fixed with:
Code:
nano /usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/resolver/slot_collision.py

# near 313 line replace with:

violated_atom = atom.violated_conditionals(_pkg_use_enabled(other_pkg), \
   other_pkg.iuse.is_valid_flag)
if violated_atom.use:
   for flag in violated_atom.use.enabled.union(violated_atom.use.disabled):
      atoms = collision_reasons.get(("use", flag), set())
      atoms.add((ppkg, atom, other_pkg))
      collision_reasons[("use", flag)] = atoms
num_all_specific_atoms += 1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiznix
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sormy wrote:
I see we have new naming scheme =) And world need to be reemerged now =)
Didn't test yet. But in previous overlay there are soem problems:
1) deja-dup depend on gnome-control-center but ebuild didn't know about that
2) a lot of packages from main gentoo repo need to be keyworded to build unity (i can post my files for keywords and use flags)
3) Zeitgeist have circular dependencies with unity-related use flags. So i emerge just zeitgest with default flags and after that i can emerge unity-meta.
4) Portage sometimes die when trying to resolve conflicts with emerging unity-meta (problem described above), fixed with:
Code:
nano /usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/resolver/slot_collision.py

# near 313 line replace with:

violated_atom = atom.violated_conditionals(_pkg_use_enabled(other_pkg), \
   other_pkg.iuse.is_valid_flag)
if violated_atom.use:
   for flag in violated_atom.use.enabled.union(violated_atom.use.disabled):
      atoms = collision_reasons.get(("use", flag), set())
      atoms.add((ppkg, atom, other_pkg))
      collision_reasons[("use", flag)] = atoms
num_all_specific_atoms += 1

1) Fixed, thanks for reporting.
2) Impossible to maintain keyword states for packages outside the overlay.
3) Due to main portage tree ebuilds for zeitgeist[fts] and zeitgeist-extensions[fts] being mutually exclusive and Unity requires both zeitgeist and zeitgeist-extensions be installed (for geolocation).
Portage tree enables +fts by default for zeitgeist, so we go with that.
4) Not sure on this one, a bug in portage perhaps ?
I can't see anything out of the ordinary in unity-meta ebuild that could trigger it, but unity-meta ebuild internals have changed recently (99. prefix and unity2d blocker removal) so I'd be interested if you can reproduce this again with latest overlay sync update and without the slot_collision.py edit.
If it still causes a problem then a bug should be filed on bugs.gentoo.org.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
renegart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to update to your new approach I've problems with mask packages.

Code:
hive /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords # emerge -uDtaNqv --color n @world
[nomerge      ] gnome-base/gnome-3.6.2  USE="bluetooth cdr cups extras fallback -accessibility"
[nomerge      ]  gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.6.2  USE="bluetooth cdr cups networkmanager"
[ebuild  N    ]   net-im/empathy-3.6.3  USE="geocode geoloc gnome gnome-online-accounts map spell v4l -debug -se$
[ebuild  N    ]   gnome-extra/nm-applet-0.9.6.4  USE="bluetooth -gconf"
[nomerge      ] net-im/empathy-3.6.3  USE="geocode geoloc gnome gnome-online-accounts map spell v4l -debug -send$
[ebuild  N    ]  sci-geosciences/geocode-glib-0.99.0  USE="introspection {-test}"
[ebuild  N    ]  media-libs/libchamplain-0.12.3  USE="gtk introspection vala -debug"
[nomerge      ] gnome-base/gnome-3.6.2  USE="bluetooth cdr cups extras fallback -accessibility"
[nomerge      ]  gnome-base/gnome-fallback-3.6.2  USE="cups"
[ebuild  N    ]   x11-wm/metacity-2.34.13  USE="{-test} -xinerama"
[nomerge      ] media-libs/libchamplain-0.12.3  USE="gtk introspection vala -debug"
[ebuild  N    ]  media-libs/memphis-0.2.3  USE="introspection vala -debug -doc -static-libs"
[ebuild  NS   ]   dev-lang/vala-0.12.1-r1 [0.14.2-r2, 0.16.1-r2, 0.18.0] USE="vapigen {-test}"

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by gnome-base/gnome-fallback-3.6.2, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.6.2[fallback], required by @selecte$
=x11-wm/metacity-2.34.13 ~amd64

The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.6.2[networkmanager], required by gnome-base/gnome-3.6.2, required by @$
# /etc/portage/package.mask/unity-portage.pmask:
=gnome-extra/nm-applet-0.9.6.4
#required by gnome-base/gnome-fallback-3.6.2, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.6.2[fallback], required by @selecte$
# /etc/portage/package.mask/unity-portage.pmask:
=x11-wm/metacity-2.34.13
#required by gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.6.2, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.6.2, required by @selected, requir$
# /etc/portage/package.mask/unity-portage.pmask:
=net-im/empathy-3.6.3


Some ideas which going wrong?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sormy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegart:

You forgot to unmask gentoo-unity overlay packages according to documentation. Read last post from shiznix.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
renegart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sormy wrote:
renegart:

You forgot to unmask gentoo-unity overlay packages according to documentation. Read last post from shiznix.

Nope, the checks done by the unity-packages succeeding. Also some of the mentioned packages are masked by the overlay but didn't provided as replacement by the overlay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiznix
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegart wrote:
sormy wrote:
renegart:

You forgot to unmask gentoo-unity overlay packages according to documentation. Read last post from shiznix.

Nope, the checks done by the unity-packages succeeding. Also some of the mentioned packages are masked by the overlay but didn't provided as replacement by the overlay.

It's because version bumps needed to happen to the previously 99. prefixed packages, they now need to be in step with main tree version dependencies.

So am bumping the following to Raring:
x11-wm/metacity to 2.34.13
gnome-extra/nm-applet to 0.9.7.995 (This requires networkmanager-0.9.7 as Gentoo's gnome-core-apps-3.6.2[networkmanager] requires >=nm-applet-0.9.6.4, but Ubuntu jump straight from -0.9.6.2 to -0.9.7)
net-im/empathy to 3.6.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
renegart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:
renegart wrote:
sormy wrote:
renegart:

You forgot to unmask gentoo-unity overlay packages according to documentation. Read last post from shiznix.

Nope, the checks done by the unity-packages succeeding. Also some of the mentioned packages are masked by the overlay but didn't provided as replacement by the overlay.

It's because version bumps needed to happen to the previously 99. prefixed packages, they now need to be in step with main tree version dependencies.

So am bumping the following to Raring:
x11-wm/metacity to 2.34.13
gnome-extra/nm-applet to 0.9.7.995 (This requires networkmanager-0.9.7 as Gentoo's gnome-core-apps-3.6.2[networkmanager] requires >=nm-applet-0.9.6.4, but Ubuntu jump straight from -0.9.6.2 to -0.9.7)
net-im/empathy to 3.6.3

Yesterday evening my problem was that your mask-file masked the mentioned packages but your overlay didn't provided replacements. In meantime it seems you comitted the missing files and now it works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
and3k
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

Is there a way to active UNITY_LOW_GFX_MODE in Gentoo. I already tried the things described here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/197771/how-do-i-enable-llvmpipe-rendering-in-unity

I have a Radion HD 4xxx, and so I have to use the open source drivers, which really slows down unity :( Any other way to reduce the eye-candy would be fine too

Otherwise: great work porting untiy to Gentoo :D

Best,
and3k
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiznix
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and3k wrote:
Hey!

Is there a way to active UNITY_LOW_GFX_MODE in Gentoo. I already tried the things described here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/197771/how-do-i-enable-llvmpipe-rendering-in-unity

Yes, as root do:
Code:
~ # echo "export UNITY_LOW_GFX_MODE=1" > /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99force-llvm
~ # chmod +x /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99force-llvm

Then restart your X session.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiznix
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was looking at trying to fix the large systray icons bug that can happen when setting com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist to 'all', when I found that Canonical have removed the systray whitelist feature completely in new versions of Unity.

They now expect every GUI application developer to port their software to use Ubuntu's own appindicator API, and if they don't then their application will not show in Unity's panel.

So the question is, will every GUI software developer port or write code for a Ubuntu specific systray when their chosen GUI toolkit (ie. gtk/qt) already implements systray functionality ?
Answer is, probably not.

You can read some developer's discussion here -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/974480
And some user's reception here -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113769
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
and3k
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:
and3k wrote:
Hey!

Is there a way to active UNITY_LOW_GFX_MODE in Gentoo. I already tried the things described here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/197771/how-do-i-enable-llvmpipe-rendering-in-unity

Yes, as root do:
Code:
~ # echo "export UNITY_LOW_GFX_MODE=1" > /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99force-llvm
~ # chmod +x /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99force-llvm

Then restart your X session.


Thank you! Now UNITY_LOW_GFX_MODE is set. But I’m not sure if its working. I don’t see any difference in the effects or speed. I will observe it a bit…

Best
and3k
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sormy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like my default /etc/init.d/xdm with "gdm" in /etc/conf.d/xdm and XSESSION="unity" start every time "gnome3" instead of "unity".
startx works fine and run unity. Do you have any suggestions or workarounds?

PS: Last unity overlay works perfectly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
and3k
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sormy wrote:
It seems like my default /etc/init.d/xdm with "gdm" in /etc/conf.d/xdm and XSESSION="unity" start every time "gnome3" instead of "unity".


gdm apparently uses the settings from /var/lib/AccountsService/users/<username>

Changing the XSession variable there to unity worked for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valentyn
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
valik@deimos ~ $ sudo emerge -uND world
Пароль:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.1.901-r9999[dmx]".
(dependency required by "x11-libs/gtk+-99.3.6.4" [installed])
(dependency required by "media-libs/clutter-1.12.2[gtk]" [installed])
(dependency required by "media-libs/clutter-gst-1.4.6" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])


it makes me a bit upset :( there isn't 1.13.1.901-r9999 but there is 1.13.2_p0_p02
please fix it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
and3k
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentyn wrote:
Code:
valik@deimos ~ $ sudo emerge -uND world
Пароль:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.1.901-r9999[dmx]".
(dependency required by "x11-libs/gtk+-99.3.6.4" [installed])
(dependency required by "media-libs/clutter-1.12.2[gtk]" [installed])
(dependency required by "media-libs/clutter-gst-1.4.6" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])


it makes me a bit upset :( there isn't 1.13.1.901-r9999 but there is 1.13.2_p0_p02
please fix it


Check if your unity layman repo is up to date? All the versioning changed a few days ago and now everything works for me...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valentyn
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and3k wrote:
Valentyn wrote:
Code:
valik@deimos ~ $ sudo emerge -uND world
Пароль:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.1.901-r9999[dmx]".
(dependency required by "x11-libs/gtk+-99.3.6.4" [installed])
(dependency required by "media-libs/clutter-1.12.2[gtk]" [installed])
(dependency required by "media-libs/clutter-gst-1.4.6" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])


it makes me a bit upset :( there isn't 1.13.1.901-r9999 but there is 1.13.2_p0_p02
please fix it


Check if your unity layman repo is up to date? All the versioning changed a few days ago and now everything works for me...

i've made eix-sync so yes it's up-to-date
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 15 of 26

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum