[Fix] NetBeans IDE designer stuck on "Loading..."
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: [Fix] NetBeans IDE designer stuck on "Loading..." Reply with quote

A few months ago I had this problem and gave up on NetBeans in favor of Eclipse. Now I need NetBeans again and it's still here, but now I've found a fix on the web.

Given a fresh NetBeans 7.2 installation (nothing unmasked) and fully updated in userspace through Help > Check for Updates, try to create a new JFrame. The Design window hangs saying "Loading...". The Palette window (Ctrl+Shift+8) may or may not load at all, and if it does you will be unable to drag/drop new controls onto the "Loading" JFrame.

View > IDE Log shows severe errors about "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.w3c.dom.ElementTraversal".

Scouring the Internet showed a lot of different proposed fixes:
I made this fix permanent with a minor modification to /etc/netbeans-7.2/netbeans.conf:
Code:
john@sisig ~ $ diff /etc/netbeans-7.2/netbeans.conf /etc/netbeans-7.2/netbeans.conf~
46c46,48
< netbeans_default_options="-J-client -J-Xss2m -J-Xms32m -J-XX:PermSize=32m -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -J-Dapple.awt.graphics.UseQuartz=true -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -J-Dsun.zip.disableMemoryMapping=true -cp:a /usr/share/xml-commons-external-1.4/lib/xml-apis.jar"
---
> netbeans_default_options="-J-client -J-Xss2m -J-Xms32m -J-XX:PermSize=32m -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -J-Dapple.awt.graphics.UseQuartz=true -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -J-Dsun.zip.disableMemoryMapping=true"
The Gentoo Java Guide cautions against global changes to the CLASSPATH variable.
sickboy2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. I had the same problem a while back. I think if I remember correctly I fixed it by downloading netbeans from the web site and using the bundled install script. It seemed to work ok then.
vinky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same fix just helped me solve the problem, Thanks.
Flurp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, I'd fixed it on the command line by installing batik and specifying (note the different path!)
Code:
netbeans-7.2 -cp:a /usr/share/batik-1.7/lib/batik-ext.jar

I wasn't aware of the file /etc/netbeans-7.2/netbeans.conf - that's the way to add the classpath for nebeans, and using the xml-commons-external package avoids adding an extra dependancy

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: