Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
DaggyStyle,

Its a muxless system. The ATI graphics chip can draw into the pixel buffer but not read it out. Only the Intel chip can do that.
As far as I know, Xorg does not yet support a split setup like this, so only the Intel chip can work as it can both draw in the pixel buffer and read the pixels out again to generated the video signal for the display.

Attempting to use the ATI chip will result in a blank screen as Xorg will set it up to generate the video signal - but it can't.

so why he has a ati gpu?
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
DaggyStyle,

Its a muxless system. The ATI graphics chip can draw into the pixel buffer but not read it out. Only the Intel chip can do that.
As far as I know, Xorg does not yet support a split setup like this, so only the Intel chip can work as it can both draw in the pixel buffer and read the pixels out again to generated the video signal for the display.

Attempting to use the ATI chip will result in a blank screen as Xorg will set it up to generate the video signal - but it can't.

so why he has a ati gpu?

Thanks for the input and assistance. I did as you outlined but it didn't change the behaviour of my boot. I also don't have an Intel igp option in my bios.

As to the muxless system, I am not even pretending to understand what it is, but earlier in the thread DaggyStyle mentioned that it was a limitation of Linux at this time.

Quote:
The Muxless part is a bit scary. It may mean that meanwhile, you can only use the low power chip. The problem is that both graphics chips can draw into the pixel buffer but only one can read the pixel buffer to the screen to generate the image. Work is in hand to make this work but its not complete. Xorg cannot stet up your system in this split manner. When you use the low power graphics, it will work, when you use the high power grahics you will get a black screen. This isn't a Gentoo thing, its the state of software development in GNU/Linux.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
DaggyStyle,

Thanks NeddySeagoon. So what do I do next? The behavior is still the same. Luks login, gui login screen, cli. startx==>hostname not found, timeouts on .Xauthority, etc. and then fails.

http://bpaste.net/show/74142/

Last edited by Budoka on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, try upgrading your kernel to >-3.5 - perhaps then we might even get both card to work (as other packages should probably be good, maybe excluding mesa), just be sure to check the correct radeon bits in kernel.
As for 74142 log, it shows simply correct termination of the server. Most likely no clients were connected, so it gracefully shut down.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
DaggyStyle,

Thanks DaggyStyle. So what do I do next. The behavior is still the same. Luks login, gui login screen, cli. startx==>hostname not found, timeouts on .Xauthority, etc. and then fails.

http://bpaste.net/show/74142/

I have no idea what a muxless system but you log says that you are still using intel.
I'd recommend you'll first understand what is the limitation of your system.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
As I said, try upgrading your kernel to >-3.5 - perhaps then we might even get both card to work (as other packages should probably be good, maybe excluding mesa), just be sure to check the correct radeon bits in kernel.
As for 74142 log, it shows simply correct termination of the server. Most likely no clients were connected, so it gracefully shut down.

I am currently using kernel 3.6.11. I am just confused now as to whether I should be trying to configure Intel, ATI, or both?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
I am currently using kernel 3.6.11. I am just confused now as to whether I should be trying to configure Intel, ATI, or both?

I'd say let's try both - if it's at all possible, then why not ?

Pastebin your kernel config.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really lost now.

I emerged KDE to see if that would work and essentially get the same behavior with the exception that it also throws a can't open consolekit error.

Also can't set home but that is not a new error.

wgetpaste Xorg.0.log http://bpaste.net/show/74154/

wgetpaste kdm.log http://bpaste.net/show/74155/

Any ideas? I am really close to throwing in the towel.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add dbus to default runlevel - that's 'rc-update add dbus default' and start it (after adding 'rc' should be enough).

I don't see why you're quitting at this point - there's obvious progress, you simply fail to see it.

Also, 74154 log is still from kernel 3.4.5.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Add dbus to default runlevel - that's 'rc-update add dbus default' and start it (after adding 'rc' should be enough).

I don't see why you're quitting at this point - there's obvious progress, you simply fail to see it.

Also, 74154 log is still from kernel 3.4.5.

Thanks. As you were replying I re-emerged consolekit and dbus. Also added to default runlevel and that fixed those errors.

The kernel thing baffles me.
Quote:
uname -a
Linux sysresccd 3.4.5-alt281-amd64 #2 SMP Tue Jul 17 17:27:33 UTC 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2675QM CPU @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Clearly indicates you are correct that 3.4.5 is running. However, genkernel says it is using 3.6.11 and the stuff in boot reflects the same.

Quote:
(chroot) sysresccd / # ls boot
boot
grub
initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.6.11-gentoo
kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.6.11-gentoo

Should I run emerge-sources and genkernel again? Am I making a mistake somwhere?

I've also googled and searched forum and can't find anything about the "can't enter home" error. I confirmed the userhome is set. Any idea's and is that somehow related to the continued failure of any desktop to run properly? Or do I still have an undelying problem related to Xorg and ATI/Intel?

I was just griping when making the quitting comment. But I am starting to sense that everything I will want to do, if and when I get a desktop running, will still require weeks and months to get done. I don't mind a challenge as I hope is demonstrated by my persistence the past couple of months, but at the end of the day I need a functional OS.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

Your graphics seems to work with the Intel chip set.
The Xorg log showed that it started, ran but found nothing to do, so exited normally.

You need to configure KDE to get it to start but at the moment, I think its much more important to get a GUI picture, even if it is a bit ugly.

Run
Code:
emerge -1 twm xterm xclock
thats as simple as it gets for testing.
When that completes,
Code:
startx
should produce three xterms and xclock running in twm.

twm is very simple - it only uses the left mouse button but it proves Xorg works and is a logical step on the path the KDE.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

Code:
uname -a
Linux sysresccd ...

Are you still using SystemRescueCD to boot, then chrooting ?
How did you get to be running a SystemRescueCD kernel?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

My hint is: don't.
There's no point, as it's unlikely to show more than what the log already shows.

Are you just booting your system or still using boot cd ?
Did you update grub configuration ?
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Budoka,

Your graphics seems to work with the Intel chip set.
The Xorg log showed that it started, ran but found nothing to do, so exited normally.

You need to configure KDE to get it to start but at the moment, I think its much more important to get a GUI picture, even if it is a bit ugly.

Run
Code:
thats as simple as it gets for testing.
When that completes,
Code:
startx
should produce three xterms and xclock running in twm.

twm is very simple - it only uses the left mouse button but it proves Xorg works and is a logical step on the path the KDE.

Successfully emerged but startx still fails.

http://bpaste.net/show/74177/

when startx is runing I noticed that it can't create the directories in home. Is that related or the cause of the fail?
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Budoka,

Code:
uname -a
Linux sysresccd ...

Are you still using SystemRescueCD to boot, then chrooting ?
How did you get to be running a SystemRescueCD kernel?

Yes. I make all corrections ad configurations in SystemRescue and CHROOT because I don't have a network connection when I boot from my disk. After I make whatever changes necessary I bootinto my system to check.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:

My hint is: don't.
There's no point, as it's unlikely to show more than what the log already shows.

Are you just booting your system or still using boot cd ?
Did you update grub configuration ?

I am booting withcd to configure and boot into system to check.

Yes I updated grub config.

Last edited by Budoka on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you're likely not updating grub config correctly as 74177 log is yet again from 3.4.5 kernel (and it again shows only a graceful termination of xserver).
How do you start KDE anyway ? With 'startkde' ?
What did you emerge for KDE ? kde-meta ?

Anyway, why isn't the network working ? That part should be much more simple than xserver.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Then you're likely not updating grub config correctly as 74177 log is yet again from 3.4.5 kernel (and it again shows only a graceful termination of xserver).
How do you start KDE anyway ? With 'startkde' ?
What did you emerge for KDE ? kde-meta ?

Anyway, why isn't the network working ? That part should be much more simple than xserver.

My grub seems to be correct.
http://bpaste.net/show/74333/

I followed the Gentoo KDE Guide http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE which instructed me to:

Quote:
Boot service
Set KDM as your default display manager:
[Collapse] File/etc/conf.d/xdm
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
To start KDE on boot, add xdm to your default runlevel:
root # rc-update add xdm default
To start KDE now:
root # /etc/init.d/xdm start

I emerged kde-meta.

I would also add that the same problem was also present when I tried xfce first.

Not sure why network isn't present when booting from my box. I followed the AMD64 Guide. I suspect it is because my wifi is not configured properly.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, too much looking at those logs - was looking at the wrong line.

Regardless, the logs don't show anything wrong.

I've never used xdm (at least of my own setup), so...
Let's try something different: for the time being remove xdm from default runlevel and once it boots to console, log in and run 'startkde' (I've never used KDE myself (not in any significant way), but IIRC that's what the script is called).

As for the network - the handbook should have sufficient info - just post two things: 'lspci -k' from the livecd (when network woks) and from a normal boot (when it doesn't). That way we should be able to check if that's a driver problem.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

You appear to have several problems. Lets work one at a time.

You really need to be in control of your kernel to fix others, so my advice is fix your kernel/networking first.

Your wired network is
Code:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

which needs the r8169 module. This will not auto load. Genkernel has probably made it for you.

Boot your own kernel, log in as root and do
Code:
modprobe r8169
the prompt will return if it worked. If you get an error tell us.
Provided thats ok, look in
Code:
ifconfig -a
you should have an interface called eth0 but its not yet running.
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
should make it work.

Stop at the first error message and tell us the error.

This may fix your errors about $HOME because liveCDs have no users and you cannot use the users you have defined without adding them to the live CD. This gets very messy.
Fixing your kernel may get rid of these other errors for free.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Budoka,

You appear to have several problems. Lets work one at a time.

You really need to be in control of your kernel to fix others, so my advice is fix your kernel/networking first.

Your wired network is
Code:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

which needs the r8169 module. This will not auto load. Genkernel has probably made it for you.

Boot your own kernel, log in as root and do
Code:
modprobe r8169
the prompt will return if it worked. If you get an error tell us.
Provided thats ok, look in
Code:
ifconfig -a
you should have an interface called eth0 but its not yet running.
Code:
should make it work.

Stop at the first error message and tell us the error.

This may fix your errors about $HOME because liveCDs have no users and you cannot use the users you have defined without adding them to the live CD. This gets very messy.
Fixing your kernel may get rid of these other errors for free.

Hi. I successfully did all of this and didn't get any errors. I did get a warning on
Code:
that
Quote:
net.neth0 has already started, but is inactive

I just realized that this might be due to the fact that I don't use a LAN but rather WIFI. Should I be activating my wireless card somehow? ifconfig -a showed eth0 that you referenced and something labeled lo. I did emerge the wifi stuff that was requested in the install guide when installing my system.

Thanks again.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

I had a bad feeling about that when I posted it. Just for testing, can you use a wired connection ?
Its not needed to run startx on your own kernel though.

Your wifi is
Code:
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (rev 34)

That needs
Code:
<M> Intel Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN - Wireless-N/Advanced-N/Ultimate-N (iwlwifi)
in the kernel an a lot more besides.
Read the kernel help. The Gentoo Wiki Wifi page covers the kernel setup for your device - be sure you get the right firmware.

You will also need the user space tool wpa-supplicant to get your wireless to associate with your wireless access point, after you kernel is correct.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Budoka,

I had a bad feeling about that when I posted it. Just for testing, can you use a wired connection ?
Its not needed to run startx on your own kernel though.

Your wifi is
Code:
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (rev 34)

That needs
Code:
<M> Intel Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN - Wireless-N/Advanced-N/Ultimate-N (iwlwifi)
in the kernel an a lot more besides.
Read the kernel help. The Gentoo Wiki Wifi page covers the kernel setup for your device - be sure you get the right firmware.

You will also need the user space tool wpa-supplicant to get your wireless to associate with your wireless access point, after you kernel is correct.

At the moment I don't have access to a LAN connection but I should next week and will try then. But, I almost exclusively use wireless on this laptop so it is a hard requirement that I get wifi configured. The laptop was purchased a year ago and to date it has never been on a LAN cable. Haha.

As kid of a goof I thought I would try to chown home. I used
Code:
chown -R user.user /home/
of course using my uid. This eliminated the
Quote:
can't enter home
error and also allowed the GUI to succesfully launch!!! This is great but a bit confusing because 1) I already owned home, and 2) when I created the user it should have created the proper permissions. Or is that in correct?

Moving on, wifi is still being a problem. I'll outline it quickly but let me know if I should start a new thread.

I followed the instructions on the wiki you referenced and verified that the adequate drivers are in /lib/firmware as instructed but wifi doesn't work.

This is dmesg when I am booted into my own system. http://bpaste.net/show/75348/.

and this is dmesg when I am successfuly connected chrooted on sysrecuecd. http://bpaste.net/show/75347/
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/home should be fine with being root:root, as long as it's 755, it sounds as if you didn't create your user properly.

That dmesg says only it can't find the firmware - are you sure it's in the right place ?
Though the question is "how up to date is that wiki ?". I.e. last time I've checked radeon wiki page still talked about radeon-ucode, while most (if not simply all) of the firmware in the versions in the tree are already present in the recent kernels.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

Your missing firmware is provided by the linux-firmware package. You need to emerge that.
As you have only provided a dmesg fragment, we cannot tell if iwlwifi is mad ad a module or made built into your kernel.

Whatever you have done with iwlwifi, you must do with the firmware it needs too. That why its much easer to make iwlwifi a loadable kernel module.

/home is a directory for all your users. Each user should have a /home/<username> directory whey they own.
Thats where Xorg will try yo write files when your normal user runs startx.
Did you forget the -m flag to useradd when you made your normal user?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: