Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Icon way too big in XFCE (menu and panel)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvh1987
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Icon way too big in XFCE (menu and panel) Reply with quote

When I started up my computer today, I found out that my icon for the Eclipse IDE had grown to an extremely large size so it does not fit in the panel or Application Menu in XFCE. I have never experienced anything like this before. I haven't done anything to either XFCE or Eclipse to make this happen. It used to be scaled to a nice 22x22 icon (or similar size) like all other icons. What can cause this and how do I fix this? Here is a screenshot:

http://i.tinyuploads.com/jvrJO9.png
pvh1987
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I am not the only one having this problem. Some Ubuntu users seem to have the exact same problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dash/+bug/1068702

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2079010

It might be related to the XPM icon format. But why this is suddenly happening from one day to the other is still very weird. I will try to find a solution. If you have any ideas, please let me know.
pvh1987
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so now I done a quick and dirty fix. I converted the XPM icon to PNG and saved it as icon.png in the same folder as the old icon.xpm. Then I changed the desktop file in /usr/share/applications to use icon.png instead of icon.xpm. Now it works. However, it is not a real solution. XFCE (and other desktops) should be able to scale XPM icons just like PNG. And as I said before, it all worked fine until yesterday. I do not know if this is a known bug or where I should report it. It seems more general than just an XFCE-bug.
netfab
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For the record :
gentoo bug 438786 - x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.26.4 - xpm image are not being resized
upstream bug 686514 - gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_scale() fails to scale xpm images
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: