udev-197-r3 and xen-sources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syl22_00
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: udev-197-r3 and xen-sources Reply with quote

Hi,

With the latest updates of udev, I am having issues with my XEN server. The latest xen kernel is 2.6.38 and udev seems to require 2.6.39. Shall I block the udev upgrade? Here is the output of the update, I have re-compiled my kernel with DEVTMPFS=y already, I don't know why I aslo get this error, my sources are in /usr/src/linux, but I compile in another folder, as suggested in the xen on gentoo wiki.

Code:

*   DEVTMPFS is not set in this kernel. Udev will not run.
 * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
 * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
 * Your kernel version (2.6.38-xen) is too old to run udev-197
 * It must be at least 2.6.39!
 * Could not detect kernel version.
 * Please ensure that /data/xen/build/dom0 points to a complete set of Linux sources.
 * Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version for build, attempting to use running version
 * Your running kernel version () is too old
 * for this version of udev.
 * You must upgrade your kernel or downgrade udev.

Any quick help would be very appreciated!

Sylvain
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mask if you can then... Else you have to upgrade the kernel to one that has the option - apparently it requires CONFIG_DEVTMPFS, which will break your machine on next boot if it's not enabled (even non-virtual machines and kernels of the proper version).

I just hosed several of my machines because of this...
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I have heard for
kernels < 2.6.39
eudev instead of udev!

But eudev isn't stable yet - keep udev-171 for a while!
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
as I have heard for
kernels < 2.6.39
eudev instead of udev!

But eudev isn't stable yet - keep udev-171 for a while!

The fact that eudev isn't marked stable yet doesn't mean it's more broken than 171. It's really otherway around. No reason for keeping 171 around.
syl22_00
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Mask if you can then... Else you have to upgrade the kernel to one that has the option - apparently it requires CONFIG_DEVTMPFS, which will break your machine on next boot if it's not enabled (even non-virtual machines and kernels of the proper version).

I just hosed several of my machines because of this...

Thanks a lot. Yes, I messed up some of my machines because of that too!

For now, I masked the udev upgrade, but I hope there will be a better solution. 2.6.38 actually does have the CONFIG_DEVTMPFS option, I recompiled the kernel with it on my xen dom0 and domU but I haven't dared switching.
syl22_00
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:

The fact that eudev isn't marked stable yet doesn't mean it's more broken than 171. It's really otherway around. No reason for keeping 171 around.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I have briefly looked for it and did not find how to switch to eudev. I did not see a relevant USE flag in virtual/udev and the Gentoo eudev project page does not say much either. Do you know where I can find more?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syl22_00 wrote:
I have briefly looked for it and did not find how to switch to eudev. I did not see a relevant USE flag in virtual/udev and the Gentoo eudev project page does not say much either. Do you know where I can find more?

#gentoo-udev on IRC chat.freenode.net is your best bet.
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: udev-197-r3 and xen-sources Reply with quote

@syl22_00

You don't need to use xen-sources (which are removed from portage anyway). You can use the latest gentoo-sources:
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2011/06/02/xen-celebrates-full-dom0-and-domu-support-in-linux-3-0/
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@syl22_00 : Maybe you could just test.
I have been running absolutely troublefree for a week a gentoo-sources and a ck-sources 2.6.38 kernel with udev-197-r3 (udev I had emerged when running a > 2.6.38 kernel)
OK, I get no exotic hardware and everything is statically built. (No modules, the nvidia proprietary driver excepted)

BTW, I investigated quite a lot trying to understand exactly what (apart from a line in some obscure upstream's readme :) )makes that KV_MIN=2.6.39 requirement but just failed.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks aCOSwt and hydrapolic for your advices, I read about linux 3.0+ being able to run xen without modifications, but never dared trying.

About eudev, I was reading a summary of the presentation at FOSDEM, and this made me hold off:
Quote:

The developers also noted that their "pet project" was anything but mature and that users foolish enough to use it in its present state could really mess up their systems.
DoPlJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run out of ideas trying to make xen work with/on gentoo.

I can't get a single hvm DomU to start on gentoo. They all fail immediately or enter an infinite restart-loop if I don' t set the destroy option on reboot. Trying to boot from a physical cdrom-drive just fails a bit later, because it apparently first has to spin up the disc in order to not work. Nothing in the logs point to any errors, apart from shutting down with reason code 1 0x1.

Since the same domU-configuration works on xen4.2 in combination with fedora 18 and a 3.something linux kernel, I'm at a loss what' s going wrong. I've read some bug-reports mentioning the current udev-version in portage as the culprit for xen not functioning anymore. However this thread seems to suggest that some people do have xen working with a recent gentoo-sources kernel and udev. What's the trick?

Has anyone gotten xen to work with the current udev and gentoo-kernel, with safe cflags and gcc-4.7/4.6? If so, would you be so kind to share your settings?
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DoPlJoe

Yes, it works for me. I use xen-4.2.1-r1, gentoo-sources-3.7.2, eudev-9999, gcc 4.6.3. Show your emerge --info and your configuration.
DoPlJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First difference seems to be that I'm not using eudev.

Just to be sure my emerge --info is the following. Sorry for the huge wall of text, I don't know how to make it collapse on this forum like with the common spoiler option. Because of numerous gentoo based projects like an arcade-cocktail-cabinet this list is a lot messier than it ought to be, which is why I want to go the Xen-route.

Code:

Portage 2.1.11.50 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.7.2, glibc-2.16.0, 3.7.3-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.7.3-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_FX-tm-8120_Eight-Core_Processor-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem:    32893864 total,  28156596 free
KiB Swap:   67108860 total,  67108860 free
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 21:45:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.23.1
distcc 3.1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [disabled]
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p42
dev-java/java-config:     2.1.12-r1
dev-lang/python:          2.6.8-r1, 2.7.3-r3, 3.1.4-r3, 3.2.3-r2
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.10.2-r1
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2
sys-apps/openrc:          0.11.8
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.6
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.69
sys-devel/automake:       1.9.6-r3, 1.11.6, 1.12.6, 1.13.1
sys-devel/binutils:       2.23.1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.5.4, 4.6.3, 4.7.2
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.2
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.7 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.16.0
Repositories: gentoo zugaina pcsx2 glc gamerlay virtualization x-portage
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64 ~x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx -march=native"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CPPFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx -march=native"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx -march=native"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=4 --load-average=6 --keep-going"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo"
LANG="nl_NL.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j9"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman/zugaina /var/lib/layman/pcsx2 /var/lib/layman/glc /var/lib/layman/gamerlay /var/lib/layman/virtualization /usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync2.nl.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 avx bash-completion berkdb bluetooth btrfs bzip2 cdda cdinstall cdparanoia cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt css cxx dbus device-mapper dirac dri dts dvd dvdr efiemu exif fat ffmpeg fftw flac fontconfig fortran fuse gdbm gimp gnutls gpm gstreamer gtk hddtemp hvm iconv ipv6 jabber joystick jpeg jpeg2k kvm lame libass libnotify libsamplerate lm_sensors lvm lzma lzo matroska mjpeg mmx modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer msn mudflap multilib musepack ncurses nls nocd nptl nsplugin ntfs odf ogg ogm openal opencl openexr opengl openmp pam pcre pdf pgo png policykit pulseaudio python qemu quicktime readline screen sdl session sid smp spice srt sse sse2 sse3 ssl ssse3 startup-notification svg taglib tcpd theora threads thunar tiff timidity tls truetype udev udisks unicode usb v4l vaapi vdpau virt-network vorbis vpx wavpack webm x264 xcomposite xen xfs xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse wacom" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="nl en" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_6 python2_7 python3_2" QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="i386 arm x86_64" QEMU_USER_TARGETS="arm i386 x86_64" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia fglrx nouveau" XFCE_PLUGINS="trash" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
USE_PYTHON="2.6 2.7 3.2"
Unset:  CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

I also tried gcc 4.6 for different versions of xen with adjusted march and mtune for bulldozer.

My latest domU-config

Quote:
kernel = "/usr/lib64/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder="hvm"
memory = "4048"
#memory_sharing = 1
name = "Win7"
uuid = "a8b7c9ff-6f83-4f57-a804-f5eeeb58fbc8"
vcpus='4'
cpus='4-7'
acpi=1
#vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=br0' ]
disk = [ 'file:/home/joey/opslag/barracuda/vm-images/Win7-raw.img,hda,w', 'phy:/dev/sr0,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
#disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sr0,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'destroy'
on_crash = 'destroy'

device_model = '/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
boot="c"
sdl=1
opengl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
vncpasswd=""
serial='pty'

qemu-dm-Win7.log
Quote:
domid: 7
-videoram option does not work with cirrus vga device model. Videoram set to 4M.
Strip off blktap sub-type prefix to /home/joey/opslag/barracuda/vm-images/Win7-raw.img (drv 'aio')
Using file /home/joey/opslag/barracuda/vm-images/Win7-raw.img in read-write mode
Using file /dev/sr0 in read-only mode
Watching /local/domain/0/device-model/7/logdirty/cmd
Watching /local/domain/0/device-model/7/command
Watching /local/domain/7/cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/3
qemu_map_cache_init nr_buckets = 10000 size 4194304
shared page at pfn feffd
buffered io page at pfn feffb
Guest uuid = a8b7c9ff-6f83-4f57-a804-f5eeeb58fbc8
populating video RAM at ff000000
mapping video RAM from ff000000
Register xen platform.
Done register platform.
platform_fixed_ioport: changed ro/rw state of ROM memory area. now is rw state.
xs_read(/local/domain/0/device-model/7/xen_extended_power_mgmt): read error
medium change watch on `hdc' (index: 1): /dev/sr0
I/O request not ready: 0, ptr: 0, port: 0, data: 0, count: 0, size: 0
Log-dirty: no command yet.
vcpu-set: watch node error.
xs_read(/local/domain/7/log-throttling): read error
qemu: ignoring not-understood drive `/local/domain/7/log-throttling'
medium change watch on `/local/domain/7/log-throttling' - unknown device, ignored
cirrus vga map change while on lfb mode

xl-Win7.log
Quote:
Waiting for domain Win7 (domid 7) to die [pid 14263]
Domain 7 has shut down, reason code 1 0x1
Action for shutdown reason code 1 is destroy
Domain 7 needs to be cleaned up: destroying the domain
Done. Exiting now
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is your default python interpreter? Please, also post your xen and xen-tools use flags (emerge --info xen xen-tools).

Safe flags for me look like CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" :)
DoPlJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapolic wrote:
Safe flags for me look like CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" :)

Lol, I'll recompile xen using those flags and gcc-4.6

In the meantime emerge --info xen xen-tools looks like this
Quote:
Portage 2.1.11.50 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.7.2, glibc-2.16.0, 3.7.3-gentoo x86_64)
System Settings
System uname: Linux-3.7.3-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_FX-tm-8120_Eight-Core_Processor-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem: 32893864 total, 27719452 free
KiB Swap: 67108860 total, 67108860 free
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 21:45:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.23.1
distcc 3.1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [disabled]
app-shells/bash: 4.2_p42
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.12-r1
dev-lang/python: 2.6.8-r1, 2.7.3-r3, 3.1.4-r3, 3.2.3-r2
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.10.2-r1
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.28
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.2
sys-apps/openrc: 0.11.8
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.6
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.69
sys-devel/automake: 1.9.6-r3, 1.11.6, 1.12.6, 1.13.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.23.1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.5.4, 4.6.3, 4.7.2
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.8
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4.2
sys-devel/make: 3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.7 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.16.0
Repositories: gentoo zugaina pcsx2 glc gamerlay virtualization x-portage
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64 ~x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx -march=native"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CPPFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx -march=native"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx -march=native"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=4 --load-average=6 --keep-going"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo"
LANG="nl_NL.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j9"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman/zugaina /var/lib/layman/pcsx2 /var/lib/layman/glc /var/lib/layman/gamerlay /var/lib/layman/virtualization /usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync2.nl.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 avx bash-completion berkdb bluetooth btrfs bzip2 cdda cdinstall cdparanoia cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt css cxx dbus device-mapper dirac dri dts dvd dvdr efiemu exif fat ffmpeg fftw flac fontconfig fortran fuse gdbm gimp gnutls gpm gstreamer gtk hddtemp hvm iconv ipv6 jabber joystick jpeg jpeg2k kvm lame libass libnotify libsamplerate lm_sensors lvm lzma lzo matroska mjpeg mmx modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer msn mudflap multilib musepack ncurses nls nocd nptl nsplugin ntfs odf ogg ogm openal opencl openexr opengl openmp pam pcre pdf pgo png policykit pulseaudio python qemu quicktime readline screen sdl session sid smp spice srt sse sse2 sse3 ssl ssse3 startup-notification svg taglib tcpd theora threads thunar tiff timidity tls truetype udev udisks unicode usb v4l vaapi vdpau virt-network vorbis vpx wavpack webm x264 xcomposite xen xfs xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse wacom" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="nl en" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_6 python2_7 python3_2" QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="i386 arm x86_64" QEMU_USER_TARGETS="arm i386 x86_64" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia fglrx nouveau" XFCE_PLUGINS="trash" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
USE_PYTHON="2.6 2.7 3.2"
Unset: CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Package Settings
USE="(multilib) -custom-cflags -debug -flask -pae -xsm"
USE="api hvm (multilib) pygrub qemu screen xend -custom-cflags -debug -doc -flask"

app-emulation/xen-9999 was built with the following:
CFLAGS=""
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx -march=native -fno-lto"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -fno-lto"

app-emulation/xen-tools-9999 was built with the following:
CFLAGS="-fno-strict-overflow"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx -march=native -fno-lto -fno-strict-overflow"
LDFLAGS=""

EDIT
Forgot to mention, default python is 2.7
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DoPlJoe

Maybe try Xen 4.2.1-r1 and by the way, do you still need xend? It got obsoleted by xl stack.
DoPlJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've switched to gcc-4.6 and changed the cflags to -O2 -pipe plus set march and mtune to bdver1 and reverted to Xen 4.2.1-r1 with those settings, just to be sure I also reinstalled udev and qemu with the same settings. So far no luck, I even tried using the custom-cflags useflag, to make sure it wasn't an issue with using march=native and the bulldozer architecture on gcc-4.6.

I'd like to switch entirely to xl, but that just fails without any meaningful warning message, even when running with the verbose option. (Any ideas how to get xl to spit out more info?) I was under the impression that if you don't start xend, xl should work as expected. xm with running xend now complains about missing vbd. My searches on the internet only gave me 2 possible causes for this error. The xen-wiki mentions missing support for the blkdev-backend in the kernel, which is compiled into my kernel.

The second cause was udev. Mostly mentioned in older posts about udevinfo being removed from udev or missing xen-rules in udev. The missing udevinfo should not be an issue for xen 4.2 and I've checked that I have two xen-rules entries in /lib64/udev/rules.d. Admittedly I wouldn't know if those entries are correct or not, just by looking at them.

Since your xen works, I guess I can rule out problems with xen itself or seabios. I suppose this only leaves xend and/or the udev-rules as the culprits. I haven't switched to eudev, because of a post by one of the gentoo-devs saying that eudev was only meant for running 2.6 kernels and should not be used with the 3.something kernels.

I'll try one last time without xend and clearing everything xen-related beforehand, but I very much doubt that will produce a different result.

Last edited by DoPlJoe on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DoPlJoe

I switched back to udev-197-r6 (http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Udev-fork-is-a-training-project-say-eudev-developers-1796664.html) and it still works. For migration, check out:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Migration_Guide_To_Xen4.1%2B
DoPlJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works!!!
I'm using gcc-4.7 and removed everything xend and all the extra cflags, removed all configs and made a new xl ones following the xl man-pages on the xen-site.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, trying to match your setup as close as possible made it work for me.

Next up getting vga-passthrough to work not only for the amd videocard.

EDIT
I think I may have narrowed the issue down to gcc-4.7 and march=native not working, while using march and mtune bdver1 do work on my fx8120 cpu. Only discovered this by accident, when I set the cflags but forgot to change to gcc-4.6.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: