Raid and SSD Setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Raid and SSD Setup Reply with quote

I'm getting some new parts for my computer, and adding an SSD drive along with a raid setup. The SSD drive will have Windows on it, along with a 1.5TB 5 Raid that will have Gentoo on it and a partition for storing files like pics, music, etc... I've never used a drive outside of a Raid before, so I wasn't sure if this could be done? If so, does the Gentoo installation need to be setup as if I was going to dual boot windows Raid wise; because Windows will be on a completely different drive. The SSD won't be a raid drive, just a normal partition setup. Thanx for the help!

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Motherboard I have to select f12 during the post screen after bios load it starts a dialog that allows me to select which drive to boot from. In you case the key may be different but choose that key and then you can select the array or the ssd from which to boot. Thats the easiest way, but you could also set up grup to chainload the windows bootloader.
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... So I could either load whichever hard-drive through Grub or the Motherboard. I would like the option of which is the easiest to maintain, and I've always liked Grub and never had a problem with it. When I setup the raid(As Fake Raid) I currently have now I did Windows and Gentoo on the same raid making the setup a huge pain, and had to use Zen Kernels to get it working properly. Since windows will be on another hard-drive entirely; can I just setup Gentoo on a Software(LVM2) Raid? I should add that I will be using NTFS partitions in the raid, an example of the raid setup is below:

Single Drive
SSD Windows 7

3 Drives Raid 5
Raid Partition 1 /boot
Raid Partition 2 /
Raid Partition 3 swap
Raid Partition 4 NTFS My Documents(Windows/Linux file share partition)

Windows would need access to the 4th partition in the Raid.

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paradox6996 wrote:
Hmmm... So I could either load whichever hard-drive through Grub or the Motherboard. I would like the option of which is the easiest to maintain, and I've always liked Grub and never had a problem with it. When I setup the raid(As Fake Raid) I currently have now I did Windows and Gentoo on the same raid making the setup a huge pain, and had to use Zen Kernels to get it working properly. Since windows will be on another hard-drive entirely; can I just setup Gentoo on a Software(LVM2) Raid?

Windows will not be able to access (or even see) any volumes in a LVM volume group.
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
paradox6996 wrote:
Hmmm... So I could either load whichever hard-drive through Grub or the Motherboard. I would like the option of which is the easiest to maintain, and I've always liked Grub and never had a problem with it. When I setup the raid(As Fake Raid) I currently have now I did Windows and Gentoo on the same raid making the setup a huge pain, and had to use Zen Kernels to get it working properly. Since windows will be on another hard-drive entirely; can I just setup Gentoo on a Software(LVM2) Raid?

Windows will not be able to access (or even see) any volumes in a LVM volume group.

I guess I'll be setting it up as a fake raid again. Thanx for the info!

Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not competent to talk about dual boot (never understood the benefits of dual-boot vs virtual machine) I'd like to point out the dangers of fakeraid: http://skrypuch.com/raid/
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
While I'm not competent to talk about dual boot (never understood the benefits of dual-boot vs virtual machine) I'd like to point out the dangers of fakeraid: http://skrypuch.com/raid/

Yup it sucks, but what are you going to do when running Windows along side with Linux... Personally I would give up Windows all together if it wasn't for Pro Gaming!

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: