Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Minecraft (ebuild to build deps from source!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phluffy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minecraft 1.4.2 is out :D
Is this still maintained?
cohone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phluffy wrote:
Minecraft 1.4.2 is out :D
Is this still maintained?

When you run the game, it ask for an update, you do not need to emerge the ebuild again.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the server you can just rename the ebuild (and have to, since upstream recycles URLs for each version).
Zolcos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
For the server you can just rename the ebuild (and have to, since upstream recycles URLs for each version).

You're talking about the official server right? Is there as easy of a solution for craftbukkit?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zolcos wrote:
You're talking about the official server right? Is there as easy of a solution for craftbukkit?

The bare minimum would be to rename the bukkit and craftbukkit ebuilds, then edit $MY_PV in both. I haven't tested this but it looks like it should work.
HyperQuantum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When installing the latest ebuild of minecraft-server from the overlay (1.3.2), I get a distfile fetch error. Reason for this is that the SRC_URI for the ebuild points to the latest, unversioned, download of the minecraft server, which is no longer 1.3.2.

How can I easily fix this problem? I'd like to have the latest version of the server, not 1.3.2. Is it only a matter of recalculating the ebuild digest or something?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuild in java-overlay points to an unversioned URL. Here's a fix:

Code:
--- java-overlay/games-server/minecraft-server/minecraft-server-1.3.2.ebuild   2012-09-29 18:31:32.000000000 +0100
+++ local/games-server/minecraft-server/minecraft-server-1.4.7.ebuild   2012-12-28 17:35:16.729676011 +0000
@@ -7,7 +7,7 @@

DESCRIPTION="Official dedicated server for Minecraft"
 HOMEPAGE="http://www.minecraft.net"
-SRC_URI="http://www.minecraft.net/download/minecraft_server.jar -> ${P}.jar"
+SRC_URI="http://assets.minecraft.net/${PV//\./_}/minecraft_server.jar -> ${P}.jar"
 LICENSE="as-is"
 SLOT="0"
 KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86"
HyperQuantum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already 'solved' the problem with a hack:
Code:
# cd /usr/portage/distfiles/
# mv minecraft-server-1.3.2.jar._checksum_failure_.DeegP9 minecraft-server-1.4.7.jar
# cd /var/lib/layman/java-overlay/games-server/minecraft-server/
# cp minecraft-server-1.3.2.ebuild minecraft-server-1.4.7.ebuild
# ebuild minecraft-server-1.4.7.ebuild digest
# emerge -avut minecraft-server
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually just updated the overlay and made the SRC_URI change. Sorry for the trouble but the fact is I don't play the game any more.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bukkit ebuilds have been updated. Many thanks to Robert Förster for doing the work and adding a systemd enchancement. It was a simple bump this time but you never know that until you try it.
cravengemetzel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had installed Minecraft via Wine and started a thread because I found it ridiculously slow and unplayable, to which it was suggested that I install minecraft from the java-overlay. I did this, attempted to log in with my credentials, where the launcher told me that it was not downloaded (as expected). I checked out the installation folder, ~/.minecraft and compared it with the folder that Wine installed it into, found that it had a few similar files in ~/.minecraft, ~/.minecraft/bin and ~/.minecraft/natives, but that many were missing so I copied the missing files from the Wine installation to the ~/.minecraft folder (I have no idea if this was the proper way of doing this), leaving ~/.minecraft/bin/lwgl.jar and ~/.minecraft/bin/natives untouched as these were already installed (so I assumed that this was the part that was compiled natively for linux).

Minecraft is launching, but it is still just as slow and unplayable as it was with Wine. This isn't due to low hardware specs as my laptop is a beast (quad-core cpu, 8gb ram, 2gb dedicated DDR3 memory for graphics). What should I do? Thanks.

EDIT: I posted a thread with more specific information about about my problem here
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7261770.html#7261770
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely new to minecraft and I do not know how to get it started.

I emerged the minecraft ebuild and
Code:
minecraft
starts the minecraft launcher.

Then I saw the "Need account?" link, created an account and verified my e-mail. But still logins (with e-mail address and password) are failing. I also read the previous comment and learned I first have to download minecraft? But where should it be downloaded to? It would be nice if the post installation message would contain some hints so someone like me who never played minecraft before learns how to get started.

I also tried to play the minecraft demo in the browser, but nothing happens after the download completes. The demo just freezes.

Edit: I found the "Play offline" Button in minecraft launcher. Playing offline works.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget the exact process now, it's been so long. Have you actually bought the game? It's not free! You don't need to manually download anything, that's what the ebuild is for.
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I (finally) logged in, I've been asked to update. Is it save to use the games update procedure or should I just wait for a newer ebuild?
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating is fine, the ebuild only installs the launcher, which rarely changes.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current launcher's going to be obsolete come next week...
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. What's happening, I'm out of the loop?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got a new launcher with support for "slotted" game jars basically, and they say it's required for 1.6+. There's a link to a prerelease version of it on the top of mojang.com currently.

It doesn't seem to interfere with the native libs hack AFAIK, but the command line is -jar based now, doesn't need the $gjl_main that the current gentoo launcher script has.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diff for 1.6.1 server ebuild, not sure what to do about the launcher.

Code:
--- /var/db/repositories/java-overlay/games-server/minecraft-server/minecraft-server-1.4.7.ebuild   2013-02-04 00:05:33.000000000 +0000
+++ code/ebuilds/games-server/minecraft-server/minecraft-server-1.6.1.ebuild   2013-07-01 16:33:26.540039723 +0100
@@ -7,7 +7,7 @@

DESCRIPTION="Official dedicated server for Minecraft"
 HOMEPAGE="http://www.minecraft.net"
-SRC_URI="http://assets.minecraft.net/${PV//./_}/minecraft_server.jar -> ${P}.jar"
+SRC_URI="http://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/${PV}/minecraft_server.${PV}.jar -> ${P}.jar"
 LICENSE="as-is"
 SLOT="0"
 KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86"

edit: needed the " -> ${P}.jar" after all.
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an ebuild for the 1.6.2 Client?

I see that I can simply download the Launcher.jar and execute it with
Code:
$ java -jar Minecraft_Launcher.jar
(I probably renamed the downloaded jar to suit my own sensibilities but the concept still applies)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the 1.6 client broke the native binary hack we use, it downloads them into a different location and does extra version checks now.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
It looks like the 1.6 client broke the native binary hack we use, it downloads them into a different location and does extra version checks now.

That's unfortunate. Still, I'm surprised the hack worked completely unmodified for so long!

So there's been no updates from me since February. Sorry about that. Not only have I stopped playing but my wife now uses OpenSUSE rather than Gentoo so there's been no incentive for me to work on this. I still care about it but I'm moving house, among other things. java-overlay also switched from Subversion to git. I've finally checked out the new repository.

So I had a look at the new launcher tonight. On first inspection, it's a total change, but I do at least have some ideas that I could try. I see that it's properly versioned now so regardless of whether I manage to find a new hack, I'll change the package's version scheme to reflect this.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been mulling over my ideas. They ranged from patching some Java methods at runtime to writing a FUSE filesystem to sit on top of the libaries directory but I've just realised there's a much easier way.

By default, the launcher starts the game using the Java executable that you used to start the launcher itself with, such as /opt/icedtea-bin-7.2.3.9/bin/java. This can be overridden through the GUI and could be pointed to some kind of wrapper named something like minecraft-gentoo.

Pros:
  • It's a lot less hacky than the other ideas.
  • All you'd need to do is unset this field to use the upstream libraries, if you wanted to.
  • It does utilise the PATH so minecraft-gentoo is literally all you'd need to enter.
  • We could easily fallback to an upstream library if we don't have a compatible version installed.

Cons:
  • It's difficult (i.e. not worth the hassle) to set this field by default so you'd have to do it yourself.
  • It will still download and unpack the upstream libraries.
  • If they keep updating to non-compatible library versions, the ebuild would need to depend on several versions of the same libraries.

The last point seems unlikely. Until now, they never changed the versions once. On the other hand, this new mechanism may have been put in place because they want to update more frequently. If the situation gets out of hand, we could just focus on the latest versions and fall back to upstream for older versions.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started working on this wrapper. Although I can pull off some pretty hairy stuff with Bash, I felt that parsing command line options intelligently really called for something else. My weapon of choice is usually Ruby but I don't want to make that a dependency so I've broken out some Python. It's a language I rarely use but the thing is coming together quite nicely.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a half-baked hack to get the new version to use the existing native libs:
Code:
cd ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/
jar -cMf ../../libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl-platform/2.9.0/lwjgl-platform-2.9.0-natives-gentoo.jar lib{lwjgl,openal}{,64}.so
jar -cMf ../../libraries/net/java/jinput/jinput-platform/2.0.5/jinput-platform-2.0.5-natives-gentoo.jar libjinput-linux{,64}.so
cd ~/.minecraft/versions/1.6.2/
sed -i -e 's/natives-linux/natives-gentoo/g' 1.6.2.json

It seems to work pretty reliably. Doing it "correctly" would probably entail building a JSON file with the correct library version strings in it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: