[SOLVED] skip mount while boot install iso
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sligo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] skip mount while boot install iso Reply with quote

it seems like on of the hard drives in one of my boxes failed. but since some of the partitions still work i seems more likely that one partition is failing for some reason. anyway, the system won't boot up at all as it hangs while mounting.
i tried to boot up the system from usb with install iso but it also tries to mount the failing partition and end up hanging. is there a way to skip mounting partitions at all?

Last edited by sligo on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
gabrielg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can you provide a bit more insight? Have you got a RAID set up? How? What does your partition table look like and which partition is failing to mount? Did you try to wait for an error? Did you try to remove the faulty disc (assuming that you are using RAID) and see if you can boot?

Also, at what point exactly is the boot process failing? initramfs? beyond initram?

Gabriel
sligo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the failing partition is a crypt partition and after a bit of surfing through this forum i think this might be some sort of udev thing. but i am not certain. the system runs stable arch and the last thing i've did was an update of something like 30 packages and udev was one of them.

first: syslinux is currently on version 5 on my working machine. i tried to load different iso images to my usb drive to test for other live iso systems then the gentoo one. it took me quite a while to find out that syslinux is somewhat broken in the latest version. every iso fails with "cannot find ldlinux.c32" and some other error. i've fixed this by downgrading syslinux and unetbootin.

the gentoo iso image is booting fine until the point where it asks for the keymap. this is working fine as well, it also loads tmpfs and then it says:
"looking for the cdrom" and "Attempting to mount media:- /dev/sda1" and so on ... it just stops at sda3.

i just wondered if there is an easy way to prevent (or skip) this "Attempting to mount media:- /dev/sda1" step.

but i am currently checking out other iso systems like ubuntu live iso or others. maybe thats working...
gabrielg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I think I get it... this might be silly, but did you try control+c when it was mounting /dev/sda3? :)

Also, you might want to give System Rescue CD a go (http://www.sysresccd.org/).
sligo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got everything to work again. i managed to boot up ubuntu which does the job quite well. the partition failed because i haven't run revdep-rebuild and did a reboot. there was infact a udev problem coming from the latest update. this prevented the partition being mounted. i've just fixed that.

i did press ctrl-c ;) but this didn't do anything and i am still not able to boot up the gentoo live iso. but since i've managed to use ubuntu live iso and everything is fine now i'll change this to solved.
step
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I have udev-mount problems too.

I get as far as ...udev-mount would not start
and then it just hangs there.

I guess it's time to start searching for that old CD I must have somewhere and then chroot etc.
Or is there a better option?
sligo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would suggest to get a current ubuntu iso and put it on usb flash drive and boot up your computer. then you can chroot and repair your system.
step
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find a old kubuntu cd and it booted up fine.
made required dirs in /mnt/
mounted my /
checked my fstab to mount the rest of the stuff and compiling new kernel now.
Looks like I have overlooked or never really bothered to change the CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y in kernel conf.
My PC runs for months and I do not tinker with it because I consider this to be a total waste of my time. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: