View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstalling Pulseaudio by settings USE="-pulseaudio", removing it with portage and running a full update and rebooting didn't help. No audio in either of Superbrothers, Trine 2 or Solar 2.

With pulseaudio Superbrothers gives sound, so it's not a generic problem connected to steam.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those source engine games have all been ported to Mac and so they have working OpenGL backends (not to mention that the Source engine is the Source engine so, having ported TF2, they have already ported the biggest part.) I'm not question the order they intend to port these games. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth... especially when they are delivering the most important port Linux gaming has ever seen. Besides, CS 1.6 has more players concurrently in-game than any of the other CS's.
Drasica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: horrible audio distortion Reply with quote

I can get audio to work in steam/HL if I set the SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa, but it is incredibly glitchy and distorted.
Has anybody else had a similar problem?
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Wrong output Reply with quote

So in my case the issue was really silly. Both Solar and Trine got set to output over HDMI instead of the normal 3.5 audio jack. No idea why, as HDMI is set as "fallback" and most other things correctly defaults correctly.

Windowing the games and changing their sinks in pavucontrol was all that was required.
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone please make an ebuild, i hate to move/copy/remove files myself :D

Ryzen9 7950x ; Geforce1650 ; kernel 6.5 ; XFCE
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:
Besides, CS 1.6 has more players concurrently in-game than any of the other CS's.
this i doubt very much ;)

Ryzen9 7950x ; Geforce1650 ; kernel 6.5 ; XFCE
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mgiese wrote:
someone please make an ebuild, i hate to move/copy/remove files myself :D

If you're talking about steam, there is one in the gamerlay.
Code:
layman -a gamerlay
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter Strike Source \o/
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With another try I got sound effects, music in Half-life sans pulse. I followed the github clone build of sdl2 with a modification: ../configure --disable-pulseaudio
spacelike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently they added a license (or modified?) so that other distros can now being packaging steam.

Anyone want to do this for gentoo? I guess this means it can now start showing up in official repos.. having one in portage would be pretty nice.
Herring42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the following problem running Steam:

The client runs to the first dialog, but when I click the login button, I get a dialog box saying "Unable to Connect to the Steam network". This occurs with STEAM_RUNTIME=1 and STEAM_RUNTIME=0.

The following appears on the console:
Code:
Running Steam on gentoo  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled by the user
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1360439662_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1360439662_client)
unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
[0210/220721:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
[0210/220721:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
Generating new string page texture 12: 48x256, total string texture memory is 49.15 KB
Generating new string page texture 13: 256x256, total string texture memory is 311.30 KB
Generating new string page texture 14: 128x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
Generating new string page texture 15: 384x256, total string texture memory is 835.58 KB
Generating new string page texture 18: 24x256, total string texture memory is 860.16 KB
Shutting down. . .
unlinked 2 orphaned pipes
CAsyncIOManager: 0 threads terminating.  0 reads, 0 writes, 0 deferrals.
CAsyncIOManager: 1009 single object sleeps, 0 multi object sleeps
CAsyncIOManager: 0 single object alertable sleeps, 2 multi object alertable sleeps
CWorkThreadPool::~CWorkThreadPool: work complete queue not empty, 1 items discarded.

Uzytkownik
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encountered problem with alsa+pulse as the former cannot find pulse plugin. The workaround found in Google is to add /etc/ld.so.conf.d/50alsa.conf:

Code:

/usr/lib32/alsa-lib/
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/

Run ldconfig and change lines in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/51-pulseaudio-probe.conf:

Code:

hook_func.pulse_load_if_running {
        #lib "/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so"
        lib "libasound_module_conf_pulse.so"
        func "conf_pulse_hook_load_if_running"
}

@hooks [
        {
                func pulse_load_if_running
                files [
                        "/usr/share/alsa/pulse-default.conf"
                        "/etc/asound.conf"
                        "~/.asoundrc"
                ]
                errors false
        }
]

As it did worked - is it steam bug or system bug? If the former it might be nice to fix the alsa multilib support.

Mgiese wrote:
Hyper_Eye wrote:
Besides, CS 1.6 has more players concurrently in-game than any of the other CS's.
this i doubt very much ;)

At least in some parts everyone's plays CS 1.6 so no-one upgrades to CSS so everyone plays CS 1.6 (besides - now there is both CSS and CS on SfL)
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problem with sound in CSS ( TF2 and Amnesia is ok ) -
when shooting many bullets it gets distorted, game lags totally ( maybe 2 fps per second and weapon often locked by continous shooting untill no ammo )
It's 100% no graphics or network issue, any idea ? ( I was using alsa earlier, now @world rebuilt for pulse but it behaves the same )
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

mir3x wrote:
I have problem with sound in CSS ( TF2 and Amnesia is ok ) -
when shooting many bullets it gets distorted, game lags totally ( maybe 2 fps per second and weapon often locked by continous shooting untill no ammo )
It's 100% no graphics or network issue, any idea ? ( I was using alsa earlier, now @world rebuilt for pulse but it behaves the same )

I haven't had such a problem, or any major problems really excluding the no-sound without exporting SDL_AUDIODRIVER=ALSA.

However, I did have an issue that seems little bit similar to you, in that, I would often be unable to activate any weapon. Many a time I was trying to stab an opponent, toss a grenade, or just shoot around, smashing the mouse buttons to no avail until they finally spotted me. Although that created some rather hilarious moments, it was a bit annoying fer sure.

It seemed as if I got rid of it by disabling the 'raw input' of the mouse. I don't believe it is enabled by default, at least I think I selected it myself.

At times I still would get some weird behaviour like where I lose control of my character, which keeps running straight without responding to mouse movements or anything else. This usually lasts only a while, but can also produce rather funny scenes. I've not yet been able to pinpoint what causes that one.

Overall, though, the game seems to be running and working even better than it ever did for me under Windows, although I perhaps should do some proper testing and comparing on that before mentioning it as an absolute truth. A friend who occasionally visits me tends to play a bit of CS:S and other related titles here, and even he did feel like it was 'working damn well!' or something along those lines.

Have to say a thanks to Valve for it, really. Even though I am not that much of a CS-holic, I still play it at times quite a bit, and I was pretty impressed of CS:S.

Can't say that I was surprised though!
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested many kernel settings, but finally I just enabled VSync in CSS and sound is ok,
anyway there are other irrelevant small bugs in linux version ( I dont bother with them, finally I can use CK47 :D ) - I have kde menu - in left upper corner, sometimes its visible in game ( not whole button, but most of it), but after game when I return to kde the region where it was visible is dead area, I cannot click icon there ( bottom of icon is still clickable ), other issue, after quitting CSS there is white
icon ( looks like paper ) in systray, if steam was launched - there its steam menu and I cannot quit it, but if steam wasnt launched its also some dead icon.
So I just wanted to point that Valve has a lot to fix, lets see when they will do it :D
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the offical Steam client is now out of beta and onto Ubuntu's software center:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/steam-client-ubuntu-official-release/
Herring42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herring42 wrote:

I guess I should have added to my post:

Please help! Has anyone else seen this problem, or knows what to do about it?
PabOu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I did a fresh install of my computer and tried to reinstall steam but I was stuck with this problem when launching steam :

Code:
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
Serial number of failed request:  24
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing

I googled it and of course I had emerged all the fonts they told me would resolve the problem (font-bitstream-100dp, corefonts, and so on...), I tried rebooting, adding some FontPath to my Xorg config file, I also tried several "eselect fontconfig enable xxxxx", but no luck.
So I emerged "xtrace" to get the x11trace binary and here is what I found out :

Code:
000:<:0018: 68: Request(45): OpenFont fid=0x02000003 name='-mutt-clearlyu-medium-r-normal--*-120-*-*-p-*-iso10646-1'

So, I took a look inside /usr/portage/media-fonts and I found "media-fonts/font-mutt-misc". I emerged it, and now steam works !
spacelike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herring42 wrote:
Herring42 wrote:

I guess I should have added to my post:

Please help! Has anyone else seen this problem, or knows what to do about it?

Try making sure steam is not running and then delete Steam/ClientRegistry.blob
It's completely harmless to delete, a new one will be created and it usually fixes a lot of issues with steam network.
Herring42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacelike wrote:

Try making sure steam is not running and then delete Steam/ClientRegistry.blob
It's completely harmless to delete, a new one will be created and it usually fixes a lot of issues with steam network.

Thank you, but no joy.

The weird thing is I've tried looking at a packet trace of my machine while starting steam. Apart from doing a DNS request for gds2.steampowered.com (208.64.200.190), there appears to be no network activity at all. Certainly not to the aforementioned IP address.

I'm running IPv4 / IPv6 setup here if that makes a difference.
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the steam client name in Gentoo Linux?
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiki.gentoo.org's steam entry from *.deb is completely incorrect.....

my deb only spits out control.tar.gz and data.tar.gz data appears as if it will get some things done, deep in its extracted archives are some things the original installation require. steam.desktop completely missing.... having data tarball dump into / & running /usr/bin/steam just gets me to end user agreement and nothing more...... && i suspect critically broken my system lol it over writ the /usr/lib symlink so i temporarily lost emerge, and x, and all that is good in life in linux. re symlink back to lib64 and back in business.
PabOu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonfr wrote:
What is the steam client name in Gentoo Linux?
it's available in some overlays (gamerlay for example) under the name "steam-meta".
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
wiki.gentoo.org's steam entry from *.deb is completely incorrect.....

my deb only spits out control.tar.gz and data.tar.gz data appears as if it will get some things done, deep in its extracted archives are some things the original installation require. steam.desktop completely missing....

I agree, that it could be a bit more clear, but I'm not really complaining and I guess I would edit it myself if it really bothered me.
And if I didn't think I'd make it worse.

However, I don't see what there is incorrect. Could you elaborate on that?
The bootstraplinux_ubuntu12_32.tar.xz is in:

Code:
data.tar.gz
  /usr/lib/steam

steam.desktop (which I think is optional, but can't remember for sure at this point of time) is in:

Code:
data.tar.gz
  /usr/share/applications

Moreover...

666threesixes666 wrote:
having data tarball dump into / & running /usr/bin/steam just gets me to end user agreement and nothing more...... && i suspect critically broken my system lol it over writ the /usr/lib symlink so i temporarily lost emerge, and x, and all that is good in life in linux. re symlink back to lib64 and back in business.

Where does the wikki article suggest you should do any of that? ^^;
(I guess you don't really imply that it does.)

wiki.gentoo.org - Steam - 3 Installation wrote:
Installation

Download the .deb archive found here, extract[1] and put the following files into the same directory:
bootstraplinux_ubuntu12_32.tar.xz (from the .deb archive)
steam.desktop (from the .deb archive)
steam (get the script here)

Make steam executable and run it. There are also a few icons in the .deb archive.

The way I read that, is that it suggests you to put the bootstraplinux_ubuntu12_32.tar.xz, the steam.desktop file, as well as the script into a directory, and run the script there. Not into a particular directory, like your real /usr for example (though I guess that is what it does in Ubuntu etc. maybe).

I guess I was at first expecting to see the 2 files right away, instead of looking for them from inside archives.
So yeah, it could be a bit clearer, but not a huge issue... or so I think I guess.

Just some thoughts~
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have steam installed from gamerlay. Today's steam update appears to have broken it on my system. The steam bin segfaults.

The issue looks the same as what is reported here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/1977

UPDATE: The issue has been corrected.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17

Jump to: