Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Now you know who to blame in the GOP: The RSC.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Now you know who to blame in the GOP: The RSC. Reply with quote

Republican Study Committee

Who’s the New ‘Conscience’ of House Conservatives? Find Out Here

Quote:
The RSC, which is known in many circles as the voice of committed conservatives within the House of Representatives, boasts an impressive 170 members of Congress, all Republicans, in its ranks. In other words, while Republicans control the majority in the House, the RSC controls the majority of the Republicans.

So at least we know why the GOP is sucking wind and generally caving to Obama.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they're really caving. I think they're being more subtle and strategic about their resistance.

For example, they were clever about how they're now demanding spending cuts in exchange for permitting yet another increase to the debt ceiling; they are saying, "We're not going to insist on any of the things we were demanding before. We're only asking that the Senate and President pass a budget." This conciliatory tone (much like Obama's cooperative tone in 2008 and his conciliatory tone in December 2010) has the media saying they are now cooperating, and has some in the party saying they are now "caving".

Well, guess what. "A" budget really means "a specific" budget (i.e., The Budget as proposed by the House), and it will include very specific funding cuts.

In other words, what they've done is feign cooperation, granting a very short-term solution, in order to defer the fight over the debt ceiling for a few months to a point in time when the dynamics favor them -- when their proposed budget is passing through the Senate for potential change requests and to the President for approval. They are choosing advantageous ground for the battle. Very smart.

It's also harder for the White House to make them look like the bad guys when they're just doing their job (proposing a budget), and they're the ones holding up the works by refusing to approve it.

The main thing I see in the RSC caucus that's distasteful is the Social Conservatism bit. Other than that, their platform pretty much aligns with the other major caucus, which is fiscally conservative but perceived as moderate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Main_Street_Partnership

Bill Clinton was generally successful (if you don't count getting impeached for being an immoral, unethical scoundrel) because he actually did move to Center and cooperate to an extent with Republicans. He was able to get some things done. Obama, who is far more of a radical, has paid lip service to cooperation and bi-partisanship, but in actuality, as far as fiscal matters and social economics go, he's been hard-core left all the way from Day 1. In all other regards, he's everything true liberals hate about the Republicans.

He's going to continue to do that, and rather than pay lip service to cooperation to preserve his party's image and not arouse the wrath of the right (for example Tea Party), his inaugural address already set the stage, blaming Republicans for lack of bipartisanship, when the reality is simply that Republicans are not willing to cooperate with his hard left turn.

Democrats will continue to try to raise red herrings of social conservatism, which they did successfully in this past election (idiotic remarks by social conservatives talking about rape and abortion had an enormous effect), so if Republicans really want people to understand their focus, they're going to have to actively manage TOMA (top of mind awareness) of the battle to reduce the deficit without instituting economy-killing tax hikes. And, they need to do a better job of managing the news media and controlling the message, or they'll be ones who get the nasty surprise in the 2014 mid-terms and we'll then we'll be back to a fully Democrat-controlled Legislature, but with a lame-duck President with "more flexibility" who's just aching to go balls-out Stalin.

I'll bet anything Obama has fantasies about dressing up like James Earl Jones (as King Jaffe Joffer of Zamunda, and gesturing imperiously while saying, "Throw him to the crocodiles!"

Oh, and I also suspect that the Benghazi incident has destroyed Hillary's chances for President in 2016. They tried sacrificing her deputy, but that wasn't enough. Now she's had to take the hit for Obama and her career is a turd reluctantly making it's last couple of orbits around the vortex of a toilet bowl. We may still see her back when primary time rolls around, but the leftish powers-that-be may now be actually trying to position John Kerry for another shot at it. I think that, like John McCain in 2008, Kerry will be a tired old man by then whose ship has already sailed.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the GOP control the House since 2010? Then why have they done (effectively) nothing on the budget until now? What "better" position will they be in come April/May? They'll pass a budget, Obamacrats will launch media attacks, and they'll be uncooperative / unreasonable again. I'm just not seeing the genius.

OTOH, the new Senate rules, if I read correctly, allow riders. That may be useful, depending on requirements to make them stick.

I'll grant they may be trying to do something, I just don't see how they're going to meaningfully change the playing field. It won't be long before they're concerned about reelection, never mind trying to hold or gain seats.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not going to change the playing field. You're the one who said things had changed (that they were "caving"). I've tried to explain why it may look that way but not be so.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, OK. I'm saying that what you're claiming the GOP is doing will not change the playing field. They've caved in that they've allowed the lack of budget to continue. They haven't gained position to have bargaining power come Apr/May. So they have given up ground and gain nothing. That's a win for Democrats.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, have it your way. They've caved.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

I'm just pointing out what they've done. Feel free to see it not as caving. I've yet to see them act like they have a pair. The latest Senate "win" gave Democrats some of what they wanted while reducing the capabilities of the filibuster. With a win like that, they won't need a nominee in '16.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm convinced. They've caved. Maybe this is an opportunity for the libertarians to rise to power.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm skeptical that you are. Regardless, I don't see the populace awakening to 3rd parties. I do think the Republican party is going to transition through some rough times. The way they've tried to oust the "TEA party" members isn't impressing a lot of Republicans. Much of the same leadership has also demonstrated their preference for establishment politics.

They claim to want smaller government, lower taxes, etc., etc., yet their actions continue to demonstrate otherwise. They've got a lot of work to do before I'll even consider voting for another one of them. Voting 3rd party makes it a lot easier, too. I don't have to fret over the Bachmanns, Palins, Perrys, Romneys or Santorums.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: