View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Where to file a bug: XFCE non-responsive after starting VLC Reply with quote

I'm running XFCE .
Code:
[I] xfce-base/xfce4-session
     Available versions:  4.10.0 {{consolekit debug gnome-keyring policykit udev +xscreensaver}}
     Installed versions:  4.10.0(01:12:47 AM 08/05/2012)(consolekit policykit udev xscreensaver -debug -gnome-keyring)
     Homepage:            http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/start
     Description:         A session m

I successfully installed VLC:
Code:
 Installed versions:  2.0.3(10:22:49 PM 01/23/2013)(X a52 aac alsa avcodec avformat cdda dbus dts dvbpsi dvd elibc_glibc encode ffmpeg flac gcrypt libnotify mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses ogg opengl png postproc sdl sse svg swscale theora truetype udev vorbis x264 xcb xml xv -aalib -altivec -atmo -audioqueue -avahi -bidi -bluray -cddb -dc1394 -debug -dirac -direct2d -directfb -directx -dshow -dvb -dxva2 -egl -fbosd -fluidsynth -fontconfig -gme -gnome -gnutls -growl -httpd -ieee1394 -ios-vout -jack -kate -kde -libass -libcaca -libproxy -libsamplerate -libtar -libtiger -linsys -lirc -live -lua -macosx -macosx-audio -macosx-dialog-provider -macosx-eyetv -macosx-qtkit -macosx-quartztext -macosx-vout -matroska -media-library -modplug -mtp -musepack -neon -omxil -optimisememory -oss -portaudio -projectm -pulseaudio -pvr -qt4 -rtsp -run-as-root -samba -schroedinger -sdl-image -shine -shout -sid -skins -speex -sqlite -switcher -taglib -twolame -upnp -v4l -vaapi -vcdx -vlm -waveout -win32codecs -wingdi -wma-fixed -xosd -zvbi)
     Homepage:            http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
     Description:         VLC media player - Video player and streamer

When I try to launch VLC, my desktop becomes nonresponsive as follows: I can move my mouse, but click events are not causing anything to happen. I'm basically frozen out.

I do have a shell via ssh from another computer.

Questions:

1) where should I log a bug: XFCE or VLC? Seems to me XFCE ought to handle problems or have a way to deal with applications that cause it's mouse clicks to be non-responsive.

2) what's the best way to shut down running instance of XFCE from another shell? There are several XFCE related processes, I'm not sure which will do the job.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If VLC is the only program that causes this issue, you want to file a bug related to VLC - and probably upstream, at that.

To force XFCE to restart from another VT, just do /etc/init.d/xdm restart as root.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
nomono
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: qt4 Reply with quote

Looking at the date of the posts; the problem is probably already solved but nevertheless.
I ran in the same problem with xfce4 and vlc; trying to find some solution to it by googling etc...
Couldn't find anything in bugs. At last i tried nvlc in a terminal and this worked. So nothing seemed to be wrong with vlc.
Then I remembered something about rvlc, qvlc somewhere mentioned. Could my problem have something to do with
trying to start vlc from trying to start it from the menu; and something there isn't configured wright. freedesktop-stuff perhaps.
But wait; what if the gui wich vlc wants to use when started from the start-menu; simply isn't there. I've installed vlc; saw it in
the start-menu and presumed everything was well. xfce4 is based on gtk+; does vlc have a gtk-gui?
vlc comes with all kind of interfaces but I didn't remember a gtk one, and after some searching I couldn't find one.
There is however qvlc, probably a qt4-gui; and my qt4 USE-flag isn't set in make.conf, and i would like to keep it that way.
So lets set qt4 only for the package vlc; I use
euse -E qt4 -p media-video/vlc
You can get euse by emerge gentoolkit.
Then re-emerge vlc; and now it works out of the start-menu without freezing the xfce4, it tried before to load a gui wich wasn't
there.
Hope this helps anyone running in the same problem
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:
If VLC is the only program that causes this issue, you want to file a bug related to VLC - and probably upstream, at that.

To force XFCE to restart from another VT, just do /etc/init.d/xdm restart as root.

Interesting, I'm back at the problem again and your solution, which worked for me previously (on a different system), fails this time:
Quote:
themis ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm restart
ERROR: Your XDM value is invalid.
No xdm executable could be found on your system.
ERROR: Please set your DISPLAYMANAGER variable in /etc/conf.d/xdm,
or install x11-apps/xdm package [ !! ]
* Setting up xdm ...
* start-stop-daemon: /usr/bin/xdm does not exist
* ERROR: could not start the Display Manager [ ok ]
themis ~ # eix xdm

I'm installing x11-apps/xdm now as I write this. I thought it unusual that I could have XFCE running without xdm, I guess a different display manager program is afoot.
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jlpoole"]
audiodef wrote:
... I guess a different display manager program is afoot.

Looks like my windows manager is xfwm4

I'm not seeing anything of /etc/init.d/xfwm which I can "restart", so then the question becomes: how do I kill by current session of XFCE?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: