View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is *anyone* seeing this problem on a browser other than Opera? I've been using Opera all afternoon on both Linux and Windows. I've posted messages, read private messages, browsed, surfed and moderated, all without one single problem.

Obviously there's a problem somewhere, but I'll be damned if I have the slightest idea where. There has to be some sort of common feature or setting between all of you that are seeing the problem that the rest of us don't have. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to share them. (rac's question about keepalives is a valid one -- anyone know the answer?)

--kurt
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: cookies? Reply with quote

it might be a coinsidence (spelling?) but i just erased all my stored cookies and now it works fine??? maybe someone else try this...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks --

Poking around, I've found some interesting things. grep'ing the apache error logs for the IP addresses of the folks who have reported the problem, in most cases, the IPs all have the same error in the log:

Code:
[Mon Aug 26 16:06:44 2002] [info] [client <client IP address>] (32)Broken pipe: client stopped connection before rwrite completed

Given this error message, I'm starting to point the finger at Opera more and more. I'll do some Googling for that error message and post any relevant results I get as a follow-up.

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearing the cache and cookies didn't help me.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad searching for stuff containing "pipe" and "organ" produces so many false positives. Is there any consistency as to what types of URLs (PHP, images, etc.) the broken clients were trying to access, or is URL info not kept in your error log?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Is there any consistency as to what types of URLs (PHP, images, etc.) the broken clients were trying to access, or is URL info not kept in your error log?

Doesn't seem to be any consistency, though it's hard to draw an accurate comparison when there's so many damn lines. :)

--kurt
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: firewall Reply with quote

i am noticing 66.250.107.251 (resolves to gentoo) be blocked at ports 35xxx tcp by my firewall? maybe we are loocking in the wrong place?
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on another note i ve diabled cookies and doing this with images on in opera now...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: firewall Reply with quote

shakti wrote:
i am noticing 66.250.107.251 (resolves to gentoo) be blocked at ports 35xxx tcp by my firewall?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the forums server is trying to establish a connection on tcp port 35xxx? Or something else?

Can you PM me with some log files/more information?

[EDIT] Also, your machine will open up a random, high port (> 1024) every time you establish a connection to any web site. That's how TCP works. So, can you double check your logs and see whether that 35xxx connection is inbound (meaning originating from 66.250.107.251) or outbound (meaning originating from your IP address.)

--kurt

Last edited by klieber on Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disabled images and like others, it briefly worked after I enabled images again. Playing arond in the Preferences window, here's something to try. Under Preferences -> Network Options, I increased Maximum connections to a server from 8 to 30, and upped Maximum total connections from 20 to 30. Opera seems to be fine now. I browsed for a while without problems, will test some more. Incidentally, it is much, much faster than Galeon :(
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh -- can folks who were having problems with Opera please give it another go now? I'm going to laugh if I've just fixed the problem, but we'll see... :)

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the settings I modified back the way they were, restarted Opera, and no problems.
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I just went on in opera, to see how it was going to work. Everything seems fine.

What did you do?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was grepping the logs, I noticed the hit log was right about 2GB. Then, I noticed nothing had been logged to it in the last few days. (2GB file size limit. makes sense)

So, I simply rotated the logs and that seems to have cleared up the problem. No idea why that affected only Opera, but whatever. It works now.

Now I just need to figure out why the logs weren't getting rotated in the first place. That's a separate issue, however. :)

If anyone else is having problems, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll consider this issue closed.

--kurt
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Klieber, on behalf of all the opera users, I thank you. This is part of what is so good about Gentoo. Problem was mentioned when--yesterday? Despite all the things you have to do,
(AND--that you don't like opera) you went to great effort for Gentoo users. And, none of us is going to even pay you (though since we're both in Manhattan, I will happily buy you a beer.)

Thank you and congratulations on quickly fixing it rather than telling us to stop whining and use mozilla :)

Scott
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottro wrote:
(AND--that you don't like opera)

Lest I be accused of maligning Opera, I should clarify that the main reason I dislike it is simply because I'm not familiar with it. (or, more precisely, because I'm very familiar with Mozilla, so switching to another browser is foreign to me.)

Just setting the record straight. :)

scottro wrote:
And, none of us is going to even pay you (though since we're both in Manhattan, I will happily buy you a beer.)

It goes against my religion to ever turn down free beer. I will happily take you up on that offer. :)

--kurt
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider it done--I'll either pm you or make arrangements on IRC this week if I see you there.

Scott
dunbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Ok 2day,., Yay! Reply with quote

Nice detective work, working fine right now.

I conclude from this episode that the broken pipe can be caused by a server side problem (your log was not being updated.... why?). Pipes are connections to 2 locations. Makes sense, IMO, that either end of the connection can lose the stream.

So many other forums would rant (and have ranted) that the 'users software' or the 'clients firewall' or 'anything but the server' fudged the stream, again, thanks for looking into the server side of the stream.

[rant] nyahh nyahh, Opera was not the cause, nyaa nyahh; Opera was not the cause, Opera was not.......... [/rant]

But then again, why did Mozilla and (gulp) IE manage to live through the problem? Oops, fault tolerance. Uh-oh.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: