PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
ssuominen wrote:
depontius wrote:
ssuominen wrote:
module-init-tools is dead package, use kmod instead:

Code:

# emerge -C module-init-tools

Let me get this straight... I can use kmod with the udev-171, then?

This udev upgrade has bugged me because it looks like I have to incompatibly replace 2 key pieces of infrastructure at the same time, and hope that it's all OK on the far end. I'm much happier if I can replace module-init-tools with kmod, make sure that works, then move on to upgrade udev.

Yes, I've been told kmod works fine with older udevs too when USE="tools" is enabled. I haven't tested it myself, but I trust the people who told me so.

It works. I removed module-init-tools, installed kmod with "USE="tools", and rebooted. All went well. Now I'm upgrading udev itself. That's happening in two stages - right now I'm doing it with "USE="-openrc", then I'll do it allowing my default USE="openrc" to take over. I had to do it this way because of the block on udev-init-scripts. I'm surprised this was a "B" block instead of a "b" block.

You could have just `emerge -1 udev-init-scripts` and same for other blockers like lvm2, upgrade them one-by-one.
Or even `emerge -C udev-init-scripts` and let `emerge -1 udev` pull it back. Certainly USE="-openrc" isn't advised.
bedtime
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:

Code:

and only reason to use eudev is older kernels than 2.6.39, it doesn't bring anything else. Otherwise eudev is a downgrade over 197 since it's based off from 196. If anyone tells you different, he is lying.

This command worked perfect for me. Was able to update world, do a depclean, rebuild, and restart without issue. Also, I noticed that I'm using a tiny bit less ram now too!
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
depontius wrote:
ssuominen wrote:
depontius wrote:
ssuominen wrote:

Code:

Let me get this straight... I can use kmod with the udev-171, then?

This udev upgrade has bugged me because it looks like I have to incompatibly replace 2 key pieces of infrastructure at the same time, and hope that it's all OK on the far end. I'm much happier if I can replace module-init-tools with kmod, make sure that works, then move on to upgrade udev.

Yes, I've been told kmod works fine with older udevs too when USE="tools" is enabled. I haven't tested it myself, but I trust the people who told me so.

It works. I removed module-init-tools, installed kmod with "USE="tools", and rebooted. All went well. Now I'm upgrading udev itself. That's happening in two stages - right now I'm doing it with "USE="-openrc", then I'll do it allowing my default USE="openrc" to take over. I had to do it this way because of the block on udev-init-scripts. I'm surprised this was a "B" block instead of a "b" block.

You could have just `emerge -1 udev-init-scripts` and same for other blockers like lvm2, upgrade them one-by-one.
Or even `emerge -C udev-init-scripts` and let `emerge -1 udev` pull it back. Certainly USE="-openrc" isn't advised.

It's all done and boots cleanly. I re-emerged with openrc right after.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum topic did help prod me to bite the bullet and upgrade the older kernels on all my machines to the current x86 gentoo-sources/stable 3.5.7 from 2.6.34-r12, 2.6.35-r12 or 2.6.35-r15. I had been stuck on those kernels because they not only worked perfectly for me, but earlier upgrade attempts failed badly for various reasons. On the other hand, going to 3.5.7 not only took little effort, but also worked perfectly on two laptops, a desktop and a server.

So, for those, like me, who had been reluctant to upgrade from stable, but older, kernels, my experience is that there may be little to fear.

Also, a news item has been released about the upgrade to udev-197 to pre-warn those running updates about some of the issues.

Finally, I find the new udev to also work without issues.

I am thankful for the patient developer "ssuominen" and his work here.
amd64/17.1/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I recently had the same issue, but with udev-200. I did the emerge -C module-init-tools and that worked on first update, however, python-updater complained, so I updated my profile, resynced, and got the error again. This time I installed kmod, but no luck. I saw that pambase was also in the list of conflicts, so I emerge -C pambase. Then emerge -uDNvp system came up clean and updated.
Always thirsting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: