Sound and BTRFS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Sound and BTRFS Reply with quote

This is basically the same post I made over at arch linux as I was getting no sound from that distro as well so I'm wondering if it's a btrfs issue and I'm scared to try ZFS as I need sound for my work(which is why I'm on arch at the moment until this issue is 100% solved)

Here's the same post, disregard phrases like mkinitcpio_btrfs and btrfs_advanced as it only relates to arch linux.

Really hope I can some help on this as I know what to compile in the kernel and having the same issue on MULTIPLE distros with only btrfs + sound not working, ext4 + sound works great. And I'd hate to go back to LVM as btrfs is lightning fast with my SSD.

Quote:

I've recently been having issues with sound and arch now for some reason sound WILL NOT WORK without mkinitcpio_btrfs and the btrfs_advanced hook. Why is this? I don't know or wouldn't unless I looked at the code but don't have time for that.

I basically want to know why sound will not work without btrfs_advanced but everything else works without a hitch?

Here's my sound devices which now work perfectly but is also making me wonder if it's btrfs itself that's causing the issue as I did tests with gentoo and sound works with ext4 so it leads me to believe it is a btrfs issue and is quite odd as I didn't think the filesystem would impact sound?

Yes, yes I'm a bad boy for being in root. But I'm setting up the system and usually create users after everything is ready to go but that's just me.
Code:

[root@archbox ~]# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: CA0132 Analog [CA0132 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: CA0132 Digital [CA0132 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
[root@archbox ~]#

I'm just curious if I'm the only one that has had this issue otherwise all my hardware has worked with linux since 3.6 (Nvidia 680 was the last thing to work perfectly, SLI is still an iffy subject in linux).
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no connection between the filesystem and sound. most likely it has sth. to do with your kernel-setup and when the related modules can be loaded.
i suggest you compile btrfs into the kernel (not as a module) and all sound-hardware-related stuff as modules.
if sound does not work right after the system comes up, restart alsasound with its initscript.
if this does not work check if anything special need to be done with your audio-hardware.
i use btrfs and sound like that on a couple of different boxes/configs (ssd/nvidia, radeon, ...) and there never was any trouble.
GOOD LUCK!

ps recently there was a change that requires users of a separate /usr-partition to use am initrd - check if this applies to you.
Rukiri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I got from alsa-info, hope it helps.
Or at least help me with getting sound working on funtoo/gentoo, and yes I build btrfs directly into the kernel and alsa is built as a module.
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d9f6f831da8ffe3cd5cc32092ec4d8581d051953
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: