View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
Thank you alexis !

ssuominen wrote:
I'm also committed in keeping my packages working with ffmpeg, not libav.
I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

Ditto to both of those.

ffmpeg and mplayer work nicely for me, so I do not have any interest in changing to libav and mplayer2. As long as ffmpeg and mplayer continue to do a good job on my machine, I’m sticking with what I know and what works.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
ffmpeg and mplayer work nicely for me, so I do not have any interest in changing to libav and mplayer2.

If I understand correctly, the problem with this is that you will not be able to use libreoffice from the next version on since this - at least indirectly - will depend on libav.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Fitzcarraldo wrote:
ffmpeg and mplayer work nicely for me, so I do not have any interest in changing to libav and mplayer2.

If I understand correctly, the problem with this is that you will not be able to use libreoffice from the next version on since this - at least indirectly - will depend on libav.

Because libreoffice uses gstreamer? Presumably building libreoffice with USE="-gstreamer" would avoid that restriction? I don't need audio or video in libreoffice in any case.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Because libreoffice uses gstreamer? Presumably building libreoffice with USE="-gstreamer" would avoid that restriction? I don't need audio or video in libreoffice in any case.

I don't know, and I don't need audio/video in libreoffice either - I hope very much that it will remain optional. Anyway, this is what I read was one of the reasons for the switch of the default in gentoo.
(But gstreamer alone cannot be the reason, because I have gstreamer installed experimentally to make videos work in firefox, and had no problems with ffmpeg).
nico--
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAICT the gstreamer people renamed gst-ffmpeg to gst-libav. So either libreoffice is a big pile of fail or this whole thing is just a bad excuse to make libav the default.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Hmmm.
mv wrote:
It would be nice if one could install both players in parellel, but this is currently not supported under gentoo.

What do you mean exactly with not supported there? I've had mplayer and mplayer2 installed simultaneously for quite some time, from ways before mplayer2 was in Portage I believe. As to why, I think I use it over mplayer due to one reason only: precise seeking.

As for libreoffice-4.0.0.1, a quick test shows that at least for now, video and audio indeed will result to a “the format of the selected file is not supported” message when trying to insert any audio/video file (tested mp3, wav, avi, mp4). It doesn't seem to affect the ability to build or use the program otherwise even with the gstreamer USE flag. I never used it much though, and when I did, it was only for simple text documents so I don't know what other effects it might have.

I actually first stumbled upon this whole matter when testing something on a little laptop that I have Mint installed, where I was greeted by the rather hilarious message about “ffmpeg not being developed any longer, and that I should switch to avconv”. That was quite a while ago, and I never really looked back to it until during the recent days (I forget why... it might have been this very forum topic that made me dig deeper). I read all the related mailing-list 'conversations' I could find, and more, and I think it's best I wont disclose my opinion of how childish and counter-productive it all looks like. It has been mentioned by others, and it's not really my business, I guess.

'Tis a mere opinion in the end methinks, based on what I've read without being really involved. ^^;

I will likely stick with FFmpeg for the time being, and if I could, I would help out with the project itself, or at least with maintaining it here.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
I've had mplayer and mplayer2 installed simultaneously for quite some time

You are right, it is now possible. There was a time when mplayer and mplayer2 (at least, the ebuilds in gentoo) both insisted on installing binaries and configurations files under the same name, but it seems that this has finally been settled - I have not retried since months/years.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about e.g. kdenlive users, which depends on ffmpeg? Today (29th of January 2013) we have in portage (as unstable) ffmpeg which was relased time ago (2012-10-26). I am not interested in a war between a ffmpeg and libav developers, but I need a kdenlive with as much as possible updated parts (eg. ffmpeg) to my work. For the moment kdenlive use ffmpeg not a libav so I have no choice? What should I do?
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa wrote:
For the moment kdenlive use ffmpeg not a libav so I have no choice? What should I do?

AFAICT kdenlive depends on virtual/ffmpeg, so you decide which to use.

Xywa wrote:
Today (29th of January 2013) we have in portage (as unstable) ffmpeg which was relased time ago (2012-10-26).

Umm, are you sure?

Quote:
# ChangeLog for media-video/ffmpeg
# Copyright 1999-2013 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-video/ffmpeg/ChangeLog,v 1.598 2013/01/27 23:51:36 aballier Exp $

27 Jan 2013; Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> ffmpeg-9999.ebuild:
Add ffescape and fourcc2pixfmt tools

23 Jan 2013; Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> -ffmpeg-1.0.1.ebuild,
-ffmpeg-1.1.ebuild:
remove old

*ffmpeg-1.1.1 (23 Jan 2013)

23 Jan 2013; Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> +ffmpeg-1.1.1.ebuild:
version bump

17 Jan 2013; Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> metadata.xml:
Describe what the bindist useflag does here.

16 Jan 2013; Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> ffmpeg-0.10.6.ebuild,
ffmpeg-1.0.1.ebuild, ffmpeg-1.1.ebuild:
Fix compability with libcdio-paranoia.

*ffmpeg-1.1 (13 Jan 2013)

13 Jan 2013; Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> +ffmpeg-1.1.ebuild:
version bump

13 Jan 2013; Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> ffmpeg-9999.ebuild:
Improve documentation installation and add an examples useflag

19 Dec 2012; Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> -ffmpeg-0.10.2.ebuild,
-ffmpeg-0.10.4.ebuild, -ffmpeg-0.10.5.ebuild, -ffmpeg-0.11.1.ebuild,
-ffmpeg-0.11.2.ebuild, -ffmpeg-1.0.ebuild:
remove old

*ffmpeg-1.0.1 (18 Dec 2012)

18 Dec 2012; Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> +ffmpeg-1.0.1.ebuild:
version bump
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baaann wrote:

Thanks. Will it works? How to switch kdenleive from using ffmpeg to libav? I have no experience in using virtual packages.

baaann wrote:

Umm, are you sure?.

Yes.
Quote:
FFmpeg 0.10.6 "Freedom"
0.10.6 was released on 2012-10-26.

http://ffmpeg.org/download.html#release_1.0
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa wrote:
baaann wrote:

Thanks. Will it works? How to switch kdenleive from using ffmpeg to libav? I have no experience in using virtual packages.

Code:
emerge -aC media-libs/ffmpeg && emerge -av1 libav libpostproc && emerge -av virtual/ffmpeg && emerge -av kdenlive

baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa wrote:

baaann wrote:

Umm, are you sure?.

Yes.
Quote:
FFmpeg 0.10.6 "Freedom"
0.10.6 was released on 2012-10-26.

http://ffmpeg.org/download.html#release_1.0

Ooops, sorry didn't notice that 1.1.1 was masked :oops:

It is still available though, just a matter of unmasking
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
Code:
emerge -aC media-libs/ffmpeg && emerge -av1 libav libpostproc && emerge -av virtual/ffmpeg && emerge -av kdenlive

Many Thanks, so far, kdenlive works with virtual/ffmpeg for me :D
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa wrote:
yngwin wrote:
Code:

virtual/ffmpeg is just a meta package, what should be interesting for you is what virtual/ffmpeg pulls in, ffmpeg or libav
v_2e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: No video in LibreOffice 4 Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:

As for libreoffice-4.0.0.1, a quick test shows that at least for now, video and audio indeed will result to a “the format of the selected file is not supported” message when trying to insert any audio/video file (tested mp3, wav, avi, mp4). It doesn't seem to affect the ability to build or use the program otherwise even with the gstreamer USE flag. I never used it much though, and when I did, it was only for simple text documents so I don't know what other effects it might have.

The same is true for libreoffice-4.0.0.3 as I observe. So, are there any known ways of making LO-4 play together with libav?

By the way, I tried to add some videos to my presentation in LO Impress 4.0.0.3 having ffmpeg installed first, but it refused to add new video files or play the existing with that one as well. Maybe, it has something to do with the new gstreamer-1.0.5 and its plugins?
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
Xywa wrote:
yngwin wrote:
Code:

virtual/ffmpeg is just a meta package, what should be interesting for you is what virtual/ffmpeg pulls in, ffmpeg or libav

Much newer libav improved some audio and timestamps problems during editing movies in kdenlive. Thanks to virtual I can check advantages of both packages. Thx.

8)
v_2e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: LibreOffice-4 + libav bug Reply with quote

Hello!
I would like to ask you guys who experience the problems trying to play some media files in LibreOffice-4 using libav gstreamer plugin, (like I described a couple of posts earlier) to take a look at my bugreport on this issue and confirm it in the bugtracker in order to draw some attention to it.

Thanks!
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I cannot use even libav as chromium needs ffmpeg:

Quote:
[ebuild N ] media-video/ffmpeg-1.0.6 USE="X aac alsa bzip2 encode frei0r hardcoded-tables mmx mp3 opus sdl ssse3 threads truetype vaapi vorbis x264 xvid zlib -3dnow -3dnowext -aacplus (-altivec) -amr -avx -bindist -bluray -cdio (-celt) -cpudetection -debug -doc -examples -faac -fdk -flite -fontconfig -gnutls -gsm -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -libass -libcaca -libv4l -mmxext -modplug (-neon) -network -openal -openssl -oss -pic -pulseaudio -rtmp -schroedinger -speex -static-libs {-test} -theora -twolame -v4l -vdpau (-vis) -vpx" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffeval fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart trasher"
[uninstall ] media-libs/libpostproc-0.8.0.20121125
[blocks b ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is blocking media-libs/libpostproc-0.8.0.20121125)
[blocks b ] media-libs/libpostproc ("media-libs/libpostproc" is blocking media-video/ffmpeg-1.0.6)
[ebuild U ] app-accessibility/speech-dispatcher-0.8-r2 [0.8-r1]
[ebuild U ] www-client/chromium-27.0.1453.12 [26.0.1410.40] USE="(-system-sqlite)"
[blocks B ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is blocking media-video/libav-0.8.6)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(media-video/ffmpeg-1.0.6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>=media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.3[X,encode,mp3,sdl,threads,truetype,vaapi,x264] required by (virtual/ffmpeg-0.10.3::gentoo, installed)
>=media-video/ffmpeg-1.0:=[opus] required by (www-client/chromium-27.0.1453.12::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
media-video/ffmpeg required by (media-plugins/gst-plugins-ffmpeg-0.10.13_p201211::gentoo, installed)

(media-video/libav-0.8.6::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
media-video/libav required by @selected

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
(see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by www-client/chromium-27.0.1453.12
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
=media-video/ffmpeg-1.0.6 opus
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa wrote:

Yeah, if you want chromium you have to ditch libav :wink:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-953116-highlight-.html
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
Xywa wrote:

Not sure about stable but my libav-9.4 got rebuilt earlier because the opus flag was added.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
Xywa wrote:

And from this link:
mv wrote:
Originally, I had no opinion in that war, maybe I was even slightly biased for libav. But seeing that first mplayer2 and then libav is making the same stupid mistakes as gnome and gparted - believing that removing core functionality and destroying the main intention of a program (in this case: deal with just any format) is some sort of progress - I have now the clear opinion that ffmpeg is meanwhile technically by far superior. Hearing all the remaining nonsense about unnecessarily breaking APIs and reinventing the wheel out of poor pride makes it clear that ffmpeg is also socially by far superior. Now reading that libav uses Debian to spread evil lies about libav - which reminds strongly about the situation of the lies about the technically far superior cdrtools by the cdrkit "developers" of Debian - my position is clear. The latter alone would have been enough, but the libav developers really did everything to convince me to ban their software from my machines. Just today I was fixing my mask file and I am now happily reemerging ffmpeg.

I did the same, ffmpeg on my system again. Everything works fine. If someone needs the newest kdenlive with the newest ffmpeg (which is outdated in Gentoo), here is a bundle:
http://www.mltframework.org/bin/view/MLT/BuildScripts
(in Kdenlive section)
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does all this apply to Ffmpeg 2 (alleged lies on behalf of libav developers, losing functionality, package support and dependencies...)? Ffmpeg 1.0.7 is marked as stable in Gentoo, but the current stable version according to http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html is 2.0.2. Unfortunately, this version is masked in Portage. However, I switched to this version due to a bug with subtitle handling. In doing so, I ended up needing to use mplayer2, since mplayer no longer compiles, and the same happened with V.L.C. I think that I finally have everything working, but it is becoming a bit confusing between all the keywording and these political and philosophical discussions.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keet wrote:
How does all this apply to Ffmpeg 2 (alleged lies on behalf of libav developers, losing functionality, package support and dependencies...)? Ffmpeg 1.0.7 is marked as stable in Gentoo, but the current stable version according to http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html is 2.0.2. Unfortunately, this version is masked in Portage. However, I switched to this version due to a bug with subtitle handling. In doing so, I ended up needing to use mplayer2, since mplayer no longer compiles, and the same happened with V.L.C. I think that I finally have everything working, but it is becoming a bit confusing between all the keywording and these political and philosophical discussions.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=476490 and more specifically for VLC there is https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=476506
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keet wrote:
How does all this apply to Ffmpeg 2

The version number is only because some ABIs and APIs changed. Nothing special about the "2" except that not all consumers have been updated yet.
Actually, for video encoding, I am still using mencoder since all ffmpeg/libav always produce files for me with broken audio/video-synchronization.
Quote:
I ended up needing to use mplayer2, since mplayer no longer compiles

media-video/mplayer-1.2_pre20130729 had been updated with fixes long ago. Perhaps you found a bug in an yet untested USE-flag combination...
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently vlc works with ffmpeg 2.1 if you bump it in your local overlay, as per https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=489972
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: