View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: pcmcia sd card Reply with quote

Hello Folks

I have some problems with a sd card by kingston. It's not detected by the laptop. Nothing appears in dmesg too. I have a sd card built in but I don't know the model. So, if you can help me first detect which reader model I have, I will be grateful.

I have installed pcmciautils and virtual/pcmcia. According to the wiki http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/SD_and_MMC_card_readers they say to install pcmcia-cs, which doesn't exist anymore in portage. I enabled all the sd card options in the kernel but didn't reboot yet.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can `emerge -C virtual/pcmcia` since it's a relic that should have been gone already back in 2011. I've just fixed capi4k and atmel-firmware dependencies to pull in pcmciautils directly so the virtual is no longer needed. I've removed it from the Portage.

I don't really know about your issue, though.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
You can `emerge -C virtual/pcmcia` since it's a relic that should have been gone already back in 2011. I've just fixed capi4k and atmel-firmware dependencies to pull in pcmciautils directly so the virtual is no longer needed. I've removed it from the Portage.

I don't really know about your issue, though.

OK, removing pcmcia.
First, I need to know which card reader I have.

I tried to enable everything in the kernel. Do I need to reboot and add pcmcia in the kernel line?
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wiki page is quite outdated. pcmcia is a thing of the past, it for sure has nothing to do with your device. Built-in card readers are usually pci, in some rare cases usb devices. So check lspci -nn and lsusb. A lot of pci readers will work with the sdhci_pci driver.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
That wiki page is quite outdated. pcmcia is a thing of the past, it for sure has nothing to do with your device. Built-in card readers are usually pci, in some rare cases usb devices. So check lspci -nn and lsusb. A lot of pci readers will work with the sdhci_pci driver.

Thanks.

lsusb was the correct one:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller

I have sdhci built in the kernel.
Code:

grep -i sdhci /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PCI=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PLTFM=y

I found out that I need staging driver for rts5129/rts5139

Last edited by queen on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen wrote:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller

Intresting. I've found this file:

/usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/storage/unusual_realtek.h:

Code:

#if defined(CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_REALTEK) || \
      defined(CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_REALTEK_MODULE)

UNUSUAL_DEV(0x0bda, 0x0138, 0x0000, 0x9999,
      "Realtek",
      "USB Card Reader",
      USB_SC_DEVICE, USB_PR_DEVICE, init_realtek_cr, 0),

UNUSUAL_DEV(0x0bda, 0x0158, 0x0000, 0x9999,
      "Realtek",
      "USB Card Reader",

UNUSUAL_DEV(0x0bda, 0x0159, 0x0000, 0x9999,
      "Realtek",
      "USB Card Reader",

#endif  /* defined(CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_REALTEK) || ... */

How about if you add your UNUSUAL_DEV(0x0bda, 0x0129... there like the others are and recompile the kernel?
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
queen wrote:
Code:

Intresting. I've found this file:

/usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/storage/unusual_realtek.h:

Code:

#if defined(CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_REALTEK) || \
      defined(CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_REALTEK_MODULE)

UNUSUAL_DEV(0x0bda, 0x0138, 0x0000, 0x9999,
      "Realtek",
      "USB Card Reader",

UNUSUAL_DEV(0x0bda, 0x0158, 0x0000, 0x9999,
      "Realtek",
      "USB Card Reader",

UNUSUAL_DEV(0x0bda, 0x0159, 0x0000, 0x9999,
      "Realtek",
      "USB Card Reader",

#endif  /* defined(CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_REALTEK) || ... */

How about if you add your UNUSUAL_DEV(0x0bda, 0x0129... there like the others are and recompile the kernel?

Sounds great, because in staging drivers I found only 5139 and not 5129. But according to this link:
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/RTS5139.html it looks they are the same.

What do you suggest? There won't be a conflict?

See this too from the kernel:
Code:

│ CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_REALTEK:                                                                                                         
Say Y here to include additional code to support the power-saving function for Realtek RTS51xx USB card readers.                                                                                                                                               
If this driver is compiled as a module, it will be named ums-realtek.                                                                                                             
Symbol: USB_STORAGE_REALTEK [=y]                                                                                                                                                     Type:tristate                                                                                                                                         Prompt: Realtek Card Reader support                                                                                                                                                 Defined at drivers/usb/storage Kconfig:34                                                                                                                                            Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB_STORAGE [=y]                                                                                                                     
Location:                                                                                                                                             -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                                                  -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y])                                                                                                                                                 │ 
  │         -> USB Mass Storage support (USB_STORAGE [=y])
syn0ptik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddy, why did you found card reader on usb port, but told us about pcmci-tools?
it attached to the pcmci port or somewhere inside your laptop?
I use some time ego pci cardreader with CONFIG_MMC_RICOH_MMC, some of them MMC use PCI-bus. The all new stuff use usb usually internal ports.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syn0ptik wrote:
oddy, why did you found card reader on usb port, but told us about pcmci-tools?
it attached to the pcmci port or somewhere inside your laptop?
I use some time ego pci cardreader with CONFIG_MMC_RICOH_MMC, some of them MMC use PCI-bus. The all new stuff use usb usually internal ports.

I thought it's pcmcia. I was wrong. After the replies I found it's on usb port (lsusb). lspci didn't give any results about card reader. It's a new laptop.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: