installing wicd by chroot from a non-Gentoo system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trueriver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: installing wicd by chroot from a non-Gentoo system Reply with quote

Hi,
I am tryijg to install Gentoo on a system with hardware for wifi but not for ethernet. The system has an existing WattOS install (WattOS r6, a derivative of Ubuntu tuned for older machines)

I have been following the install in the manual, as if working from the Gentoo minimal install disk, but skipping the parts about networking. The chroot environment works fine, and emerges the kernel sources using the host system's wifi. The new system boots OK, but obviously has no internet connection as it has no hardware for ethernet and no software for wifi.

So, back to the chroot environment with WattOS as the host.

I am hoping to use wicd: I like the ncurses interface and have used it on Gentoo before: it offers the convenience of a GUI based wifi management sytem with the low overhead of a command line system. Trouble is, I can't get it to install.

I keep getting circular dependencies involving the USE="pam" flag. These seem to arise whichever setting I choose, pam or -pam.

I tried using the generic desktop profile (ie not desktop/kde nor desktop/gnome) - is this right?

Questions:

Is my approach feasible, ie to do the emerge from within a chrooted environment running the gentoo software but on a non-gentoo kernel?

What USE flags do I need, if any, apart from ncurses, to get the wicd ebuild to install the wicd core and ncurses interface, but not any of the gui interfaces (as I do not really want to bring in all the qt / gtk / gnome / kde code)

Is desktop the appropriate profile, or should I be using server?

Can anyone explain why pam is an issue: I did not ask for it, it is not in my USE flags, nor apparently in the flags set by the profile

Many thanks
River~~
trueriver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS:

I was not sure if this belonged in this forum, or in networking queries. It feels like I have not installed Gentoo until the netwroking is resolved, and certainly do not yet have a GUI, which is why I eventually chose to post here.

But if I got that wrong, please accept my apologies, and either move my post or I can re-post it if you ask me to. R~~
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueriver,

Welcome to gentoo :D

Chrooting from WattOS should be fine. If you intend to install gnome or kde then set the profile appropriately, otherwise desktop is fine.

Have you done an emerge --sync and emerge -uavDN @world :?:

If not please do so and if you still encounter problems paste back the output of:
Code:

emerge --info

emerge -pv wicd

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
trueriver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
trueriver,

Welcome to gentoo :D

thanks, Bill, I've used gentoo before but it is good to be back

And thanks for your very prompt response. I went away for the weekend after my previous post so have only just had a chance to follow your suggestion.

It looks like emerge wicd is now going to work - it wants to do a 270Mb d/l (a quarter of my mobile allowance) so have to wait till I'm on my unmetered connection to actually do that, but it is not complaining about circular dependencies any more which is a huge leap forward :) I also have a new version of portage and of gcc, so there have been two significant changes to @system since my last post.

In the meantime I do have another two questions which came up as a result of that change.
Quote:

Have you done an emerge --sync

yes, followed immediately by emerge portage because a message at the end of the sync told me to

Question: Should I have used any flags with the emerge portage command? It appeared to work happily without, but the side effect is that it added portage to my @world. Does this matter?

Quote:

emerge -uavDN @world

hmmm, my command had a mix of long and short flags ... looks at man emerge ... I think what I did was what you suggested plus the build-deps?

Code:

emerge -av --update --newuse --deep --with-build-deps @world

Anyway, ran my version of the command and it wanted to update six packages, and it failed on the second of six packages, I have the build log of the failed run if that would help. Interestingly the failed package was one of those in the dependency loop before, but it was not showing up any more as a circular dep.

I ran the same command again, and it selected the five packages (ie the same six minus the one that had worked) and ran ok.

I'm guessing I had picked up some kinda glitch in my previous sync and whatever was wrong has since been spotted and resolved by gentoo gurus,

At this point I tried emerge -av --depclean which the previous command had recommended. I cancelled that as the only package it thinks is superfluous is gcc and deleting that looked scary. Here is a snippet of the depclean ouput (I have it all if that would help)

Code:

sys-devel/gcc
    selected: 4.5.4
   protected: none
     omitted: 4.6.3

and I think that is telling me it wants to delete 4.5.4 as it has been superseded by 4.6.3.

Question: Is that right? do I go ahead and allow the depclean?

I will post again when I have had a chance to emerge -v wicd but I am not now expecting problems with that

grateful regards,
River~~

edits: minor changes to make more readable
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueriver,

It appears from your post that things are falling into place :D

trueriver wrote:
Question: Should I have used any flags with the emerge portage command?

I don't have any specific USE flags set for portage and have not experienced any problems.
trueriver wrote:
Question: Is that right? do I go ahead and allow the depclean?

First, check your configuration just to be sure the setting is correct - it should be, but I always double-check when doing a depclean.
Code:
laptop bill # gcc-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.6.3 *

I have already depcleaned my system so I only show x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.6.3. Once yours is properly set then allow the depclean to proceed :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
trueriver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apols if this turns up twice: I'm on a dodgy connection and I think the forum never got my first attempt

BillWho wrote:

trueriver wrote:
Question: Should I have used any flags with the emerge portage command?

I don't have any specific USE flags set for portage and have not experienced any problems.

oh, sorry, I didn't ask the right q ;(

I meant to ask about command line switches. Should I have used something line emerge --oneshot portage to stop portage being added to @world?

Now it *has* been added, is that anything to be concerned about ?
If so, how would I fix it ?

BillWho wrote:

trueriver wrote:
... do I go ahead and allow the depclean?

First, check your configuration just to be sure the setting is correct - it should be, but I always double-check when doing a depclean.
Code:
laptop bill # gcc-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.6.3 *

I'm getting
Code:
 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.4 *
 [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.6.3

so it looks to me like the link is not set properly. I worked out how to move it down to the later version, and will depclean do its stuff as soon as my massive --fetch is done.

I don't need to re-do emerge -av --update --newuse --deep --with-bdep=y due to the new compiler, due to changing the link - or do I ?

I hope to have final resolution of the wicd install later today: once the massive fetch completes there is an even more massive compile coming up...

Thanks again
River~~

edit: figured out how to use gcc-config to select a different link; added new q about whether anothe update needed
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc upgrade guide is at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

Quote:
Now it *has* been added, is that anything to be concerned about ?
not a problem. Handbook suggests using
Code:
emerge portage
trueriver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Bill, Donaghue

thanks both of you for your help.

I have now got wicd to emerge. It runs, but does not work. In fairness to the forum guidleines, though, I think I need to move this query elsewhere as it no longer looks like specifically an install issue. But before I do that I am going to re-install from the stage3, as I did so many things trying to get it to work that I want to eliminate the possibility that I have inadvertently caused the problem

Many thanks again

River~~
trismo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use env before chroot to ensure that no environment variables from the installation media are used by your new system.

Code:
env -i HOME=/root TERM=$TERM $(which chroot) /mnt/gentoo
source /etc/profile
env-update
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

Only problem left is with 'uname' is in use in script you need to fake the uname output (for the most things is this not a problem)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: