stripped, embedded, portage-less root
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkj_gotu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: stripped, embedded, portage-less root Reply with quote

I'm trying to build a gentoo hardened system for an embedded device and I want it to have as few applications installed as possible.

I was wondering if its possible to strip the installation from gcc,portage,autoconf,make,headers etc. after I have installed the packages I want?
Or is it possible to have portage, the headers, and all the buildtools I one directory (say /buildtools) and "target" the output from portage/emerge in another (say /chroot/embeddedroot) ?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about it, but this is what i would try :

- having a host system that build anything for the embed device and made the package binary (see --buildpkg)
- moving the package to the embed system and only use those one (see --usepkgonly)

You will lost space because of the binary packages, but "should" save space as you have 0 compile, and don't need to download source too.
And what i'm not sure about at all, but i think it should work : if emerge don't check gcc presence (except on special case like --info that try to show version...) it might even be possible to use emerge without any gcc, only using binary packages. gcc is just mandatory to build program, not to unpack something, so it may work.
Something worth testing, as if it work, it mean you can strip down your installation to be like a binary distro, removing any devs tools.

I would also consider using paludis as if it act like that too (not checking gcc/tools... presence) and accept the binary, you may be even able to strip out python and any dependencies from emerge too (as paludis is a binary program its dependencies should be far less than portage)
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're looking for $ROOT and --config-root.
mkj_gotu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to play with the $ROOT and --config-root and see whats possible. Looks like I'm going to need several other variables if I'm building this stripped system on a existing system on a different hardware platform.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: