Dell 2950 Server and Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 NICS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sum1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Dell 2950 Server and Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 NICS Reply with quote

Trying to commence installation and can't get started due to the ethernet devices.
I boot
I do modprobe bnx2 several times(the proper module for these ethernet devices)
I have a dhcp server on my LAN and try net-setup eth0 using dhcp option - no go.
I try net-setup eth0 using the manual configuration option - no go.
I go to console and try dhcpcd eth0 and this does not work.
I've tried configuring both the eth0 and eth1 device - neither can ping router or internet addresses.

So, I burned a Systemrescuecd LiveCD to see if maybe that would work -- YES -- instantly and automatic configuration upon boot.

I'm not comfortable trying install Gentoo using this LiveCD . . . I want to use the gentoo minimal install cd.

Has anyone been able to configure a gigabit Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5708 device to work with a gentoo install iso?

Thank you for your help.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99.9% no, would require building your own cd
sysresccd is gentoo based and so may be used almost exactly as in handbook, exception: use elinks instead of links
better yet, you can boot to xfce and use copy/paste from handbook in midori browser to install terminal
as no part of the installing linux system becomes part of the final system the only advantage to the minimal cd is smaller download
Sum1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donahue and thank you for your help.
I also tried the 2012 Gentoo LiveDvd and that too was unable to make the nics function or configurable.
I guess it is up to systemrescuecd to save the day for this gentoo install.
I'll do some googling and reading, and give a try using a livecd.
MacGyver031
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try tg3 module instead of bnx??

You should update system firmware(s), beforehand. With my PE2950, I had no problems with minimal-cd and networking.

MacBook Pro 5.1: 2.4GHz Core2 Duo, 4096MB, 500GB, NVidia 9400/9600 M GT
Gentoo, Kernel 3.4.9, XOrg, Fluxbox.
Sum1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MacGyver, I need to give both a try.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
I found the following on the broadcom site --

What are the Linux tg3, bnx2, bnx2x and b44 drivers?

To better support users, Broadcom has been actively supporting, maintaining, and testing the in-kernel Linux drivers for the NetXtreme, NetXtreme II, NetLink and 4401 product lines. The following is list of drivers supported for each product line:

NetXtreme and NetLink - tg3
NetXtreme II - bnx2 1G
NetXtreme II - bnx2x 10G
4401 - b44

Broadcom officially releases the Linux drivers as packages. The Linux driver packages released by Broadcom are based on the latest in-kernel drivers with some added compatibility code to make it backwards compatible with most 2.6 kernels and some 2.4 kernels (generally newer than 2.4.24). If you are using the latest upstream kernel from www.kernel.org, you generally do not need to download the Linux driver packages from Broadcom as the latest upstream kernel has the latest Linux driver patches.

For the NetXtreme and NetLink product lines, the tg3 driver is now the only Linux driver that Broadcom supports. Accordingly, Broadcom has discontinued support for the bcm5700 driver and no longer provides updates.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Even though the hardware pieces are of different generations, it's likely that tg3 IS the only working module in the kernel for them.

I get nervous about flashing firmware, as I always fear turning this beauty into an elaborately engineered brick......i'll check the version on mine and see if it's far out of date.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Metuchen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: trying bringing up the link first Reply with quote

This may sound stupid, but sometimes the scripts don't bring up the link before attempting to request an address. Try running one of the following:
Code:

ip link set eth0 up
ifconfig eth0 up
michrech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Broadcom NetXtreme II Reply with quote

I don't mean to drag up an ancient thread, but I have a PowerEdge 2950 I'm trying to get going and ran into a similar problem. I issued : "dmesg | grep eth" and in the results were two lines that mentioned udev renamed eth0 to eno1 and eth1 to eno2. I'm not sure why it did this, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. :)

Sum1 wrote:
Thanks MacGyver, I need to give both a try.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
I found the following on the broadcom site --

What are the Linux tg3, bnx2, bnx2x and b44 drivers?

To better support users, Broadcom has been actively supporting, maintaining, and testing the in-kernel Linux drivers for the NetXtreme, NetXtreme II, NetLink and 4401 product lines. The following is list of drivers supported for each product line:

NetXtreme and NetLink - tg3
NetXtreme II - bnx2 1G
NetXtreme II - bnx2x 10G
4401 - b44

Broadcom officially releases the Linux drivers as packages. The Linux driver packages released by Broadcom are based on the latest in-kernel drivers with some added compatibility code to make it backwards compatible with most 2.6 kernels and some 2.4 kernels (generally newer than 2.4.24). If you are using the latest upstream kernel from www.kernel.org, you generally do not need to download the Linux driver packages from Broadcom as the latest upstream kernel has the latest Linux driver patches.

For the NetXtreme and NetLink product lines, the tg3 driver is now the only Linux driver that Broadcom supports. Accordingly, Broadcom has discontinued support for the bcm5700 driver and no longer provides updates.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Even though the hardware pieces are of different generations, it's likely that tg3 IS the only working module in the kernel for them.

I get nervous about flashing firmware, as I always fear turning this beauty into an elaborately engineered brick......i'll check the version on mine and see if it's far out of date.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

run ifconfig -a and discover the new names udev has created for you.
huuan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
run ifconfig -a and discover the new names udev has created for you.

That is great advice.
I had that kind of issue last Friday as well and ifconfig was a big help.

The latest udev names the cards with names like
enp5s0
see here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

You have to use those new names with net-setup
when using net-setup make sure that it shows the ethernet (MAC) address of the card you are to configure at the start, something like this:

Code:
Details for network interface enp5s0 are shown below:

Interface name: enp5s0
MAC address: 23:25:c5:f7:f8:f0
Driver: tg3

Is this the interface that you wish to configure?

Also you can use
lspci -k
to show kernel drivers handling each device and also kernel modules capable of handling it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: