ssd dual boot question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blain3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: ssd dual boot question Reply with quote

I Just bought an Intel 520 series SSD to stick into one of my 2 HD bays on my laptop. Its running a 3rd Gen i7 and by tomorrow ill have another 8GB of ram to make it a total of 16GB 1600MHZ ram. I'm new to the SSD's and I trust this comunity when it comes to these things. I would also like to dual boot with windows from the SSD for Games and such. Any suggestions? Oh and I'm looking to make compiling faster or is this not the way of SSD's?
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, compiling on a ssd will indeed be faster than on a regular disk, but will also degrade it faster since ssd have limited write cycles.

The best ssd's available now have about 3 or 5k write cycles.

You could store /usr on your ssd so that you get faster access to source code during compilation and buffer the compilation in a ramdisk since your going to have a decent amount of ram

The above would be faster than your ssd while exhausting write cycles at the rate of one per sync/update instead of many per compilation, thereby making your ssd last longer.

As for games and windows on the ssd along with some linux files, space might be an issue depending on the disk capacity, but you should be fine if you manage what you want to speed up carefully.

You should also consider if the filesystem you put on ssd has journaled access, since they usually keep track of access time which adds a write cycle each time a file is accessed.
mounting with noatime can counter this.

Also check if that filesystem supports TRIM, enabling trim takes care of garbage collection and helps with maintaining performance, which is good unless you also consider encryption, since it reveals which parts of the disk are being uses.

I hope that helps
gorkypl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: ssd dual boot question Reply with quote

blain3 wrote:
Oh and I'm looking to make compiling faster or is this not the way of SSD's?

16GB of RAM will be enough to make things faster. Just mount /var/tmp in memory (it will default to 8GB, which is sufficient to libreoffice compilation). And while we are here, you can do the same with /tmp
As mentioned by jpc22, putting /usr on ssd will also help a bit, but utilizing a ramdisk gives a really big advantage.
blain3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, I looked through some FAQ's and for a test this is what i have so far using a calculate install, I haven't changed anything but it dual boots win 8 pro no problem with this fstab:

# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=94c39c56-0706-4dca-bd0f-27d9104826dd / ext4 noatime 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
UUID=2b69042a-40a4-4da1-a264-6976c785ca5c /home ext4 noatime 0 0
# /mnt/media was on /dev/sdb6 during installation
UUID=ddd4e1fb-c1d0-4e89-aa8a-a07814c0b802 /mnt/media ext4 noatime 0 0
# /tmp was on /dev/sdb2 during installation
UUID=f8608add-e66f-45fc-a2b9-c50376f3db9c /tmp ext4 noatime 0 0
# /usr/portage was on /dev/sdb4 during installation
UUID=cd70cda2-231e-4b57-a37c-0e8fe5b7e489 /usr/portage ext4 noatime 0 0
# /var was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=377833cd-be39-4618-b870-181e0a68262f /var ext4 noatime 0 0
# /var/tmp was on /dev/sdb3 during installation
UUID=c2e23236-0020-4190-b995-9e3be09f095c /var/tmp ext4 noatime 0 0

# swap was on /dev/sdb2 during installation
UUID=799004d5-718d-4dae-b402-ae3116d0883b none swap sw 0 0

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

basicly ^^ is win8/root/var on the SSD, swap/extra mount points are the first half of a TB drive in extended partition, second half is ntfs windows, works fine with grub 2
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a lot of partitions but it looks fine for your setup.

Have you tried compiling on 16gb ram yet?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here's my current setup.

Intel SSD 520 serie 120 gigs with 16 gigs of RAM :

Code:

/dev/sda3      /boot            ext2       noauto,noatime,defaults                     1 2
/dev/sda1      /boot/efi        vfat       noauto,defaults                             0 0
/dev/sda4      /                ext4       defaults,noatime,discard                    0 1

#/dev/sda4      /                btrfs      defaults,noatime,ssd,discard,compress=lzo,subvol=@racine 0 1

tmpfs          /var/tmp/portage tmpfs      size=12G                                    0 0

none           /dev/shm         tmpfs      nodev,nosuid,noexec                         0 0

/dev/sdb2      /mnt/win_c       ntfs       defaults,ro,user,nls=iso8859-1,nls=utf8,umask=0 0 0
/dev/sdc2      /mnt/win_d       ntfs       defaults,ro,user,nls=iso8859-1,nls=utf8,umask=0 0 0

Use a tmpfs while compiling and also use trim(discard) to save your SSD.

I switched from Btrfs to EXT4.

Good luck.
blain3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've since edited the fstab and compile times are fine, the dual boot works very well, and even for a lot of partitions the system is remarkably stable and fast. I really appreciate the feedback by the way guys thank you as always! I'll need to look into TRIM, I'v been a bit busy with school starting soon.
GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 19 11:17:39 UTC 2012
GNU/Linux
xobtihs
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use your SSD as a regular hard drive. Don't worry about write cycles. I've been using the same SSD for almost five years now, with a journaling FS, with swap and /usr/portage and /home and /var/tmp/portage on it, and it still works fine.

Use either btrfs or ext4 and add 'discard' to the mount options. You should have 'noatime' in your mount options set regardless of the filesystem, of what it's used for, or what kind of disk is underneath it. Even tmpfs should have the noatime flag set, unless you know exactly why you want to have atimes enabled.

edit: set 'discard' for ext4, set 'ssd' for btrfs. There also exists 'ssd_spread' for btrfs, but I don't know what the difference is.

edit #2: I lied in my edit. In btrfs, set both 'discard' and 'ssd'. 'discard' enables TRIM, 'ssd' changes certain behavior to optimize for SSD, 'ssd_spread' makes slightly more aggressive optimizations which may or may not improve performance depending on your hardware. See this for more info.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: