View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: no deadkey in new xorg Reply with quote

Hi, after upgrading to the new xorg-server, I can't input deadkey in French anymore, I googled and someone had the same issue for German. They modified /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/de, But I don't totally understand what they did. How shall I modified the that for French? Thanks.

I use xfce4.

By the way, I am trying to configure the keyboard by xorg.conf for X, I found an example from Gentoo Documentation:
Code:

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "keyboard-all"
   Driver "evdev"
   Option "XkbLayout" "de"
   #Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection

How could I know the identifier of my keyboard?

Thanks

Last edited by pd1986 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try a git checkout of xkeyboard-config.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "Option "XkbLayout" "de"" would be a german layout. A french layout would be:
Code:
 ~ $ ls /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/*fr*
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin1.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin9.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-pc.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr.map.gz
So you could try "fr".
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Well, "Option "XkbLayout" "de"" would be a german layout. A french layout would be:
Code:
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin1.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin9.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-pc.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr.map.gz
So you could try "fr".

I mean the "identifier", not the option "XkbLayout"
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:

I will go for a long long trip, I will look at that later.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pd1986 wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
Code:
So you could try "fr".

The "Identifier" is just a name and has nothing to do with which layout is actually used. On my laptop, as an example, it reads like this:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier  "keyboard-all_de"
    Driver      "evdev"
    Option      "XkbLayout"  "de"
    Option      "XkbOptions" "compose:lwin"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection
The only difference is, that I have re-assigned the (otherwise useless) left Windows-Key to be the compose key. And the Identifier is different. But it really doesn't matter what you name it.
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
pd1986 wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
Code:
So you could try "fr".

The "Identifier" is just a name and has nothing to do with which layout is actually used. On my laptop, as an example, it reads like this:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Driver      "evdev"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection
The only difference is, that I have re-assigned the (otherwise useless) left Windows-Key to be the compose key. And the Identifier is different. But it really doesn't matter what you name it.

Really? But when we configure the video output, the identifier should be exactly the one that is being used, otherwise it doesn't work. So I think it's should be properly here too. doesn't it?
Jimmy Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Code:
So you could try "fr".

fr-latin9 map conflicts with sys-apps/kbd-1.15.5 because of the compose directives that are in the file.
Code:

loadkeys --unicode fr-latin9

Probably, that is the problem. He should try another one.

+----+----+----+
|    |::::|    |
|    |::::|    |
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pd1986 wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
pd1986 wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
Code:
So you could try "fr".

Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Driver      "evdev"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection

Really? But when we configure the video output, the identifier should be exactly the one that is being used, otherwise it doesn't work. So I think it's should be properly here too. doesn't it?
Yes. If you give your video device and your monitor an "Identifier", you have to use those in the screen section.

But those are 'Section "Device"' and not 'Section "InputClass"'. The relevant part is 'MatchIsKeyboard "on"' - This means that the input device detection will use this class on any - non further specified - keyboard.

The only rule is: Do not give two "InputClass" entries the same Identifier. They have to have a unique one.
man xorg.conf - Section InputClass - Shortened by me wrote:
INPUTCLASS SECTION
The config file may have multiple InputClass sections. These sections are optional and are used to provide configuration for a class of input devices as they are automatically added. An input device can match more than one InputClass section. Each class can override settings from a previous class, so it is best to arrange the sections with the most generic matches first.

InputClass sections have the following format:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "name"
entries
options
EndSection

The Identifier entry is required in all InputClass sections. All other entries are optional.

The Identifier entry specifies the unique name for this input class. The Driver entry specifies the name of the driver to use for this input device. After all classes have been examined, the "inputdriver" module from the first Driver entry will be enabled when using the loadable server.

(... snip ...)

The second type of entry is used to match device types. These entries take a boolean argument similar to Option entries.

MatchIsKeyboard "bool"

MatchIsPointer "bool"

(... snip ...)

When an input device has been matched to the InputClass section, any Option entries are applied to the device. One InputClass specific Option is recognized. See the InputDevice section above for a description of the remaining Option entries.

pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pd1986 wrote:
PaulBredbury wrote:

I will go for a long long trip, I will look at that later.

Hi, I just get back from my long trip. What do you mean by that? Thanks.
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:

I tryied degrading xkeyboard-config from 2.7 to 2.6 even lower, it doesn't solve the problem
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: