Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlp56

if you want to use layman,i recommend desktop-effects because it is up and running again :lol: (have used is sense 2008)
if you want to try my ebuilds you have to have a local overlay http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay

then just take my ebuilds from my git https://github.com/hedmo/hedmos-ebuilds

if you get problem just let me know

regards hedmo
yellowhat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question to you: which decorator are you using?

For me at the moment I am using emerald but I see that it is not anymore developed, so I am looking for an alternative?
yellowhat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I google and I found:

- Cairo Window Decorations but no themes
- Metacity Window Decorations but installing metacity requires 24 packages boot much, I am looking for something light
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowhat wrote:
I am looking for something light

i would look in to lxde stuff. my compiz stand alone is compiz-fusion and lxde stuff .

regards hedmo
yellowhat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@hedmo

Which window decorator are you using?
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowhat wrote:
@hedmo

Which window decorator are you using?

yellowhat i am using emerald.i have not found a more eye candy looking window decorator yet.

regards hedmo
yellowhat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question for you:
If I maximize a window I lost the windows border where are the button for close, minimize.
Same problem with emerald and cairo window decorator.

Any ideas?
yellowhat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved changing "any" in ccsm -> decoration -> window to decore
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"UPDATE"

i have updated my compiz sources to VERSION-0.9.9 and updated my compiz-9999 ebuild.
The fist thing you need to do is to clean out all other compiz packages.this is the only package you need to run compiz.
The gtk flag dont compile,i have not tryed the gnome flag but the kde flag works(both kde window decorator and emerald window decorator works) and i have not manage to fix this problem:

WARNING:
"FindCompiz.cmake" file not found in cmake module directories.
It should be installed to allow building of external compiz packages.
Call "sudo make findcompiz_install" to install it.

WARNING:
"FindCompizConfig.cmake" file not found in cmake module directories.
It should be installed to allow building of external compiz packages.
Call "sudo make findcompiz_install" to install it.

here is the plugins that builds for me:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/compizsetup.png/

regards hedmo
yuyuyak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedmo thank you very much for the effort. I d/l'ed the files to my custom overlay and all went well. This new compiz is just great, very fast and smooth.
I do have some insight into the error you received and how to fix it. I had the same exact error, so I tried with USE="-gtk" appended to the emerge, as it's in my make.conf flags. Still wouldn't go. I didn't have kde but I did have gnome (even though I no longer use it, I am standalone compiz here and loving it). So I added -gnome to that and tried again. Still no go!
I also noticed a few references to python 2.7 in there. A light went off in my brain, I went to eselect python and set current version to 2.7 (on Funtoo we are 3.3 by default). It compiled perfectly! However, in trying to defeat the problem I had reinstalled libcompizconfig and compizconfig-python. I knew it was a mistake and it was. After the compile was finished the install failed due to collisions with those files. So I unmerged them and this time built compiz with all the flags, didn't disable any, in other words +gtk +gnome. I'm running it right now! No problem flags, just make sure you're running python 2.7.
Hedmo is absolutely right, pull it ALL out, you don't need it. ccsm, plugins, everything installs from the compiz package. No fusion-icon, I think they are dropping that, but if you are really hooked on it I believe the old version will still work with it (untested).
Everything but the Emerald is in the compiz package.
For posterity I would like to explain how I got the emerald to install. As Hedmo notes in the ebuild the file does not download properly and you must download it manually. The old emerald segfaults with the new compiz, so if you want emerald (why wouldn't you?) you must update it. After I manually downloaded it I couldn't figure out how to make a manifest, ebuild kept complaining that it wouldn't download.
Perhaps others more versed with portage know how, but I didn't. What did work for me was to go into the ebuild and change SRC_FILE=https://github.com... or whatever it said to SRC_FILE=file:///path/to/downloaded/file. This made ebuild and emerge quite happy and it installed.
However, I still had a problem with the compile. Rather than waste electrons (and forum HD space) I will refer you to the same problem I had with the older version of emerald, yep, problem's still there: Emerald bug
I seem to be the only one in the world with this problem, but just in case, there it is. Edit: It does install with the fix documented in that bug.
Thanks again Hedmo, happy camper here :P
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Trying to upgrade my 0.8.8. Updated to 0.9.8.6 from desktop-effects - seem to work basically but there are some issues:
1. Configuration changes made by ccsm cause segfaults now and then.
2. After crash and re-login the pointer often got stuck - I've to restart xdm to get mouse back.
3. (the worst) All windows open at upper left corner - placement module doesn't work. Tried out different options - no success.

Amd64, USE +gtk -gnome.

Any suggestions?

UPD: The wallpaper module is missing, too.
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanyck

on 1: if you have set dbus in ccsm it will cause segfaults in -0.9.8.x

on 2: what do you mean ? does it get stuck when compiz has crashed or after restarting compiz.

on 3: i can not help you with.i have the same.

about the wallpaper.it is an unsupported plugin and is under dev.... If you want that you have to install compiz the old
way = compiz-core,compizconfig-python,libcompizconfig,etc as far as i know.

regards hedmo
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedmo wrote:

on 1: if you have set dbus in ccsm it will cause segfaults in -0.9.8.x

I see. What will I loose if I won't use dbus? I'm not quite sure what compiz is using it for....

Quote:
on 2: what do you mean ? does it get stuck when compiz has crashed or after restarting compiz.

Compiz crashes, I'm back to login. I log in normally, compiz starts again, but with dead mouse. Restarting xdm brings things back.

Quote:
on 3: i can not help you with.i have the same.

Sorry to read this... I know it works on Ubuntu, and I saw the other reports it doesn't on Gentoo... Maybe different lib versions?

Quote:
about the wallpaper.it is an unsupported plugin and is under dev.... If you want that you have to install compiz the old
way = compiz-core,compizconfig-python,libcompizconfig,etc as far as i know.

That's what I currently have on my "production" partition. So I've to roll back... It's a pity, 0.9 is faster and seem to have better OpenGL support...

BTW, maybe you may help me with another thing. I use compiz standalone + cairo-dock. I couldn't configure it to normally log off from a compiz session - I use Ctrl/Alt/Backspace to kill the session. It's probably about consolekit stuff, bud I did not find any relevant reading - howto or something to understand how it should be configured... and generally, how it works.
yuyuyak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you ever wanted to know about the dbus plugin:
http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Dbus

If you google around about standalone compiz, you will find shutdown, restart, etc. scripts. I use consolekit (I think?) for most of it and they say it's going away, but anyhow, works for now. It doesn't have a logout option, that I got from someone else on the web running standalone. Has been working great for me:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#askshutdown
ans=$(zenity  --list --width=300 --height=300 --text "Too much Funtoo-for you?" --radiolist  --column "Choose" --column "Operation" TRUE "Restart" FALSE "Shutdown" FALSE "Log Out" FALSE "Suspend" FALSE "Hibernate")

case "$ans" in
   "Restart")
      "/home/sputnik/bin/systemrestart"
;;
   "Shutdown")
   "/home/sputnik/bin/systemhalt"
;;
   "Log Out")
   "/home/sputnik/bin/systemlogout"
;;
   "Suspend")
   "/home/sputnik/bin/systemsuspend"
;;
   "Hibernate")
   "/home/sputnik/bin/systemhibernate"
;;
esac

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#systemrestart
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#systemhalt
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#systemlogout
killall -TERM -u $(whoami)&
sleep 5 &&
killall -KILL -u $(whoami) &&
sync

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#systemsuspend
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#systemhibernate
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Hibernate

Note that the code windows make it look like 2 lines, but the dbus-send statements should all be on one line.
Also, I must point out that the logout routine is not safe, if you are editing a document for example and logout without saving, it's not going to politely ask if you wish to save as Gnome would, it's just gonna get nuked. Fair warning...
Cheers
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanyck

on 2: my compiz standalone does not go to login.it just stops.my compiz standalone is:

compiz=WM
pcmanfm=wallpaper,gtk themes witch, corsor theme and filemanager
cairo-dock=panel and logout my logout is just killall X not the best way.all you have done and not saved will get lost and you will allways start clean but it works :roll:

you dont need to roll back to 0.8.8.as far as know you can roll back to 0.9.7.12.i am going to try to make an ebuild for it
to use with my old stuff (like to have screensaver and freewins back).the compiz on desktop-effects is all in one compiz
but it can be split up.

regards hedmo
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yuyuyak I will fit the scripts into my system. I''ll probably tie it with a power button, too.

@hedmo
If you manage to make ebuilds for configuration that would work - feel free to publish them :D
So far I didn't comprehend this science (writing ebuilds, I mean). It's upon my list, actually, but I'm not sure when I filally get to it...
Thanks!

BTW - didn't you try SpaceFM as a file manager? It is really great, from my point of view. I've bee hopping from one FM to another until I found this one. Now I'm satisfied. It's originally derived from older pcmanfm but made a log way since then...
yuyuyak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, thank you kanyck. For the tip on spacefm, I love it. A no brainer, just like pcmanfm, spacefm --desktop, no learning curve there. And with pcmanfm I had two 14 MB instances that ran, with spacefm just 1 14 MB instance.
A much improved file manager, it's obvious that ignorantguru has put all his effort into spacefm and pcmanfm is going to get left behind. Very customizable, many new features, it rivals the bloated nautilus without the bloat. And finally, comes with the GTK zenity-like thing, a nice bonus. Here's the new askshutdown script using it. I like it much better, quicker, although I am having trouble with the layout, but the speed makes up for that. Quite reminiscent of the Gnome shutdown screen, they obviously used GTK too.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Use QUOTED eval to read variables output by SpaceFM Dialog:
eval "`spacefm -g --window-size '400x100' --title 'Auf Wiedersehen' --label --font \
'Times New Roman 16' '~                      <b>Too much Funtoo - <i>for you?</i></b>' \
--vbox --compact --hbox --compact --button '_Restart' --button '_Shutdown' --button '_Logout' --close-box \
--hbox --compact --button 'Sl_eep' --button '_Hibernate' --button 'cancel' --close-box --close-box`"

case "$dialog_pressed_label" in
   "_Restart")
      "/home/sputnik/bin/systemrestart"
;;
   "_Shutdown")
      "/home/sputnik/bin/systemhalt"
;;
   "_Logout")
      "/home/sputnik/bin/systemlogout"
;;
   "Sl_eep")
      "/home/sputnik/bin/systemsuspend"
;;
   "_Hibernate")
      "/home/sputnik/bin/systemhibernate"
;;
esac
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@hedmo
Have you succeeded with 0.9.7 ebuilds? I'm planning to give 0.9 another try...
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanyck wrote:
Hi everyone!

Trying to upgrade my 0.8.8. Updated to 0.9.8.6 from desktop-effects - seem to work basically but there are some issues:
1. Configuration changes made by ccsm cause segfaults now and then.
2. After crash and re-login the pointer often got stuck - I've to restart xdm to get mouse back.
3. (the worst) All windows open at upper left corner - placement module doesn't work. Tried out different options - no success.

Amd64, USE +gtk -gnome.

Any suggestions?

The 3rd item happens because cmake-utils.eclass appends '-DNDEBUG' to CFLAGS if 'debug' is not set in USE.
Compiz must be set with debug enabled or it will break the window placement plugin (and others?).
All you need do is set 'export CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=none' in your ebuild to override cmake-utils.eclass messing with the debug flag.
Small_Penguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given monolith compiz-0.9.9-9999 another try after quite a while. It seems much more stable and usable now, and is also quite fast. However, I'm missing some of the old (and new) effects very much: Where are aeroplane, blur, broken window, ghost,...?

Edit: Well, some things aren't that great e.g. I can't apply any animation effects on tooltips.
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, shiznix
Will give it another try when find enough time.
So what branch is more usable at the moment - 0.9.8 or 0.9.9?
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanyck wrote:
Thanks, shiznix
Will give it another try when find enough time.
So what branch is more usable at the moment - 0.9.8 or 0.9.9?
I've used both and I honestly can't tell the difference in terms of useability, both seem to work fine.
But I also don't mess much with the plugins either so someone else who does might have a different experience/opinion.
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanyck wrote:
@hedmo
Have you succeeded with 0.9.7 ebuilds? I'm planning to give 0.9 another try...

sorry :oops: .Not yet but i have updated the monolith compiz-9999.ebuild to 0.9.10.0

Regards hedmo
yuyuyak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Hedmo & all.
I see that you have updated to the 0.9.11 version. I have been very happily running the 0.9.9 version for over a year, but trying to reinstall it a few months ago found that it would not. I realize now that was because you had updated - at that time - to 0.9.10 (and now to 0.9.11).
I wish to share what I found. This version requires metacity to be installed. There is no indication of that, I discovered it by the error messages that were generated. Prior to this I had no reason to install it, the previous versions didn't seem to need it. After that it installed without issue.
Also I would like to point out a problem with the ebuild I had a year ago and it's still a valid problem. This install works only with python 2.7 and does not use it automatically. Initially I manually used eselect to choose version 2.7, changing it back when the install finished. But since then I have found a better way that does it automatically from the ebuild. This is much better because if portage decides to reinstall compiz due to new libraries, etc. then it can with no problem. In fact, portage has done that a couple of times in the last year.
In the ebuild you can add "python" to the end of the inherit line. So it looks like this:
Code:
inherit cmake-utils eutils ${GIT_ECLASS} gnome2-utils toolchain-funcs python

And then add this snippet of code just above the src_configure() section:
Code:
pkg_setup() {
   python_set_active_version 2 #<Python_ABI|2|3>
}

And there you have it, python 2.7 is used automatically for emerging compiz.
Thanks Hedmo!
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuyuyak wrote:
This version requires metacity to be installed. .

I dont use metacity and have not had that problem but if you use the gnome flag it will pull it.

yuyuyak wrote:
In the ebuild you can add "python" to the end of the inherit line. So it looks like this:
Code:
inherit cmake-utils eutils ${GIT_ECLASS} gnome2-utils toolchain-funcs python

And then add this snippet of code just above the src_configure() section:
Code:
pkg_setup() {
   python_set_active_version 2 #<Python_ABI|2|3>
}

And there you have it, python 2.7 is used automatically for emerging compiz.
Thanks Hedmo!

thanks for that info.

regards hedmo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: