Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 has landed! Was: E17 is coming? (Part 7)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if there aren't any e17 themes in portage yet, correct?
So if I want to re-theme my new e17 install I've got to download and install local to my account, or perhaps tuck them somewhere in /usr/local.

I tried e17 from svn/overlayfor a while a year or so back, but the snapshots were never well maintained and it broke frequently, so I went back to icewm.

Since e17 has now been released, I recently installed it again, and am so far happy with it. Now I'd like to start making it my own, and the starting point for that is probably with themes. So at this point I'm essentially an e-noob, hence this question.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's going on with E17 themes.

I went to e17-stuff, downloaded several themes, and placed them in ~/.e/e/themes. When I bring up the theme switcher a series of dialogs pops up telling me that each is not a valid e17 theme. I know there is an old edje format and a new, and that the binary to convert old to new is no longer distributed. But I would have hoped that at e17-stuff I'd be getting new format themes, right off the bat.

Any idea what's up, or how I begin to diagnose this?

EDIT....

Never mind. All of those highly-rated themes (except one) were old. I remembered seeing "Gentoo-Purple" announced here, saw that and downloaded it. It installs OK. Then I noticed that Clearlook is also a new theme. So much for "e17-stuff" being e17 stuff.
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks!

I tried e17 it a year ago or so but it appeared much too raw that time, thus I switched to Compiz+Cairo-dock. Not without issues - there is some broken stuff out there, too. Last years the Compiz development ceased and lately was announced to be stopped completely. So no hope it would ever improve... and I decided to give e17 another try. Now I have 0.17.0 installed just fine but subsequent customization appears to be really challenging due to lack of actual documentation. There is next to none, really, or obviously obsolete ones. So I'm here to ask questions. Please help me to jump in.

My first impressions are mixed, however. It looks even better than before while has some drawbacks comparing to Compiz. 2D performance (gtkperf) is about 35% better, while glxgears shows OpenGL works at least 10% slower - which eventually was a surprise for me. Also, the gears freeze for a moment every second or so. E17 is positioned as a fast and lightweight - but top shows 8% CPU in average since boot - it's more than I expected.

I tried to play with all the tuning knobs I could find with no success so far. When I tried to set up different wallpapers on different workplaces - they are redrawn very slowly (about 2-3 seconds for redraw a wallpaper - it ain't a usable feature as such) It looks as if software rendering is used while I believe the OpenGL backend must be on.

So my first question is - is it normal or something is wrong with my configuration? I use AMD E-450 based laptop - I think it ought to be capable to draw all this properly (at its speed, of course).

2. Do I understand correctly that 3D desktop is currently unavailable? I'm also interested in 3D shelf - I saw some on the e17-stuff screenshots but couldn't find out how to set it up for myself.

3. Are there consistent gtk2/E17 good-looking themes available? Are there ebuilds somewhere? I can install e17 theme from a downloaded file without a risk to compromise my system but don't feel like installing a program or a gtk theme without a ebuild. I browsed through e17-stuff.org but this is obviously wrong place to get a GTK+ theme...

4. It seems that a lot of ebuilds are missing yet... a WiFi gadget asks for Econnman which is seemingly unavailable. The same with new entrance, dev-python/python-elementary and dev-python/python-e_dbus and many other... Are there any secret ebuild sources I'm not aware of? How do people install native e17 apps without the risk of polluting the system with files and libraries portage isn't aware of?

5 How can I replace the poor e17 file manager with my favorite SpaceFM? Coldn't find any options...

6. Cairo-dock has a very useful feature to hide when overlapped with a window. Maybe there is an alternative shelf with more features in e17?

7. It seems that some documented earlier gadgets/modules are missing in the release. I couldn't find CPU load, mail notification, and some more... Did I search in a wrong place?

Any suggestions are very welcome.
rpil
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About E17 themes:
We make an effort to recompile all themes, because with the E17 stable release, they don't work correctly. I've recompiled about 16 old themes, I created 5 new (with several versions) and I have many more in my hard disk to fix.
If you go to the E17-stuff site, all themes in the 4 first pages, are working fine with E17 stable. You can download any of them and install it via Settings --> Settings Panel --> Theme --> Import --> Apply. :wink:
dasPaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedtime wrote:
...anyone is wondering e17 is available in ~x86. You don't need an overlay to get the new ...

What I am doing wrong?
I put "x11-wm/enlightenment ~x86" in my package.keywords.

I tried a "emerge -auDN =x11-wm/enlightenment-0.17.0_alpha8" but it gives a "there are no ebuilds to satisfy =x11-wm/enlightenment-0.17.0_alpha8"

EDIT:
Got it with "emerge -pv =x11-wm/enlightenment-0.17.0"
dasPaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: When you go to Settings Panel -> Apps -> Personal Application Launchers, can you add a new one? If I try to add a new one nothing happens when I click OK or apply. Or is there another way to create new custom menu entries ?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dasPaul wrote:
Question: When you go to Settings Panel -> Apps -> Personal Application Launchers, can you add a new one? If I try to add a new one nothing happens when I click OK or apply. Or is there another way to create new custom menu entries ?
It works here. Though there is a bug in that the General tab's entries are not editable. It looks like the bug was introduced sometime just before release because it was working earlier.

You can check whether the file gets created or not. You can check the URL field which contains the full path to the desktop file that gets created.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanyck wrote:

I tried to play with all the tuning knobs I could find with no success so far.
Just leave those knobs alone. I think the defaults are pretty good already.
Quote:
When I tried to set up different wallpapers on different workplaces - they are redrawn very slowly (about 2-3 seconds for redraw a wallpaper - it ain't a usable feature as such) It looks as if software rendering is used while I believe the OpenGL backend must be on.
First try without the composite module. The desktop should be very fast. Then try the composite module. You will need to provide more information about your configuration - your desktop size, your graphics card, your graphics drivers and the amount of memory in your graphics card. What I can tell you is that the composite module is plenty fast (barely even noticable) even with software rendering on a 720p desktop (and from what I heard, even on a 1080p desktop). But software rendering consumes more cpu, obviously. The opengl rendering is very fast, but you need enough graphics memory (I would suggest 512M+) when you have many windows open, and good graphics drivers. Binary nvidia drivers are known to perform well, intel drivers are ok, but ATI drivers (closed or open) perform the worst. There are fewer workarounds around ATI driver bugs.
Quote:
So my first question is - is it normal or something is wrong with my configuration? I use AMD E-450 based laptop - I think it ought to be capable to draw all this properly (at its speed, of course).
I would suspect your graphics drivers.
Quote:
2. Do I understand correctly that 3D desktop is currently unavailable? I'm also interested in 3D shelf - I saw some on the e17-stuff screenshots but couldn't find out how to set it up for myself.
There is no "3D shelf", but there is a module called engage which looks like the OSX dock. That module is currently not working (crashes e) with the release tarball, but is reportedly working with svn. I haven't checked out EFL-1.7.5, so the bug might already be fixed in that.
Quote:
3. Are there consistent gtk2/E17 good-looking themes available? Are there ebuilds somewhere? I can install e17 theme from a downloaded file without a risk to compromise my system but don't feel like installing a program or a gtk theme without a ebuild. I browsed through e17-stuff.org but this is obviously wrong place to get a GTK+ theme...
There are none. Maybe a half finished one in svn which looks like the detourious theme (it is in svn).
Quote:
4. It seems that a lot of ebuilds are missing yet... a WiFi gadget asks for Econnman which is seemingly unavailable. The same with new entrance, dev-python/python-elementary and dev-python/python-e_dbus and many other... Are there any secret ebuild sources I'm not aware of? How do people install native e17 apps without the risk of polluting the system with files and libraries portage isn't aware of?
Native e17 apps are not in good shape. The devs seem more involved in EFL than in e17 apps. Don't use entrance. It has been a wreck for years. Instead, you can use slim. There were some very good e17 apps earlier, but the long development period has seen most of them become stale. We can only hope that new apps will come up to replace the old ones, or the old ones will get updated.

I haven't tried any of the python-* stuff. So, I can't give any feedback on them.
Quote:
5 How can I replace the poor e17 file manager with my favorite SpaceFM? Coldn't find any options...
You can't replace that. e17 contains wm with the filemanager. It comes tightly integrated. In fact, any of the lists that you see in a theme selection dialog, or picture dialog, etc, are just an instance of the file manager.
Quote:
6. Cairo-dock has a very useful feature to hide when overlapped with a window. Maybe there is an alternative shelf with more features in e17?
Engage does that. But it is at least not working well with EFL-1.7.4. I haven't yet tried it with 1.7.5.

Quote:
7. It seems that some documented earlier gadgets/modules are missing in the release. I couldn't find CPU load, mail notification, and some more... Did I search in a wrong place?

Any suggestions are very welcome.
Many of those are in extra modules in svn. They are unsupported by the core e17 devs. You can install them from the enlightenment overlay.
dasPaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
You can check whether the file gets created or not. You can check the URL field which contains the full path to the desktop file that gets created.

It works. I have to restart e17 to see new created launchers and Fav. Apps changes.

EDIT: I would like to mention that e17 runs now quite fast and nice and opengl enabled by firststart default settings. My poor IntelHD card seems to handle the graphics quite well.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dasPaul wrote:
EDIT: I would like to mention that e17 runs now quite fast and nice and opengl enabled by firststart default settings. My poor IntelHD card seems to handle the graphics quite well.
A bit offtopic - may I ask what version of intel graphics card is that? Is it the HD4000? Can you let me know if the performance is fast even when you have several (say 10) "heavy" windows open. By heavy I mean programs like gimp, open/libreoffice, firefox, chrome, thunderbird, digikam, basket, okular, etc. which take quite a bit of memory.

I see that composite is not that fast on a 128M graphics RAM nvidia graphics card after I have several of such memory hungry applications open. With composite, the graphics memory quickly hits 112M after opening 3-4 such applications and then the system starts to lag. I actually see lags in redrawing after scrolling, scrolling performance itself becomes bad, desk change in E has lag, etc. On the other hand, on a 1G graphics RAM nvidia graphics card, I can have many such windows open and I never see any lag. I use the nvidia binary drivers on both the systems and both the systems have 4G of system memory. In comparison, on a non-composite desktop only about 50-60M of graphics memory is used when I have 3-4 such applications open.
dasPaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
what version of intel graphics card is that?

I dont have so much heavy applications running but no problem watching a flash stream in FF and playing enemy territory windoed and watching vlc-dvb-tv at the same time.

Code:
#dmesg | grep Intel
Intel HD Graphics Chipset
Intel(R) Core(TM)i3CPU 550@3.20GHz

x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel
      Latest version available: 2.20.13
      Latest version installed: 2.20.13

#eselect mesa list
i915 (Intel 915, 945)
  [1]   classic
  [2]   gallium *
i965 (Intel 965, G/Q3x, G/Q4x)
  [1]   classic *
r300 (Radeon R300-R500)
r600 (Radeon R600-R700, Evergreen, Northern Islands)
sw (Software renderer)
  [1]   classic
  [2]   gallium *

I dont know how to find out the amount of gpu ram used but it could be that it is shared memory in some way.
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
kanyck wrote:

I tried to play with all the tuning knobs I could find with no success so far.
Just leave those knobs alone. I think the defaults are pretty good already.

Yes, I figured it out already by myself :)

Quote:
Quote:
When I tried to set up different wallpapers on different workplaces - they are redrawn very slowly (about 2-3 seconds for redraw a wallpaper - it ain't a usable feature as such) It looks as if software rendering is used while I believe the OpenGL backend must be on.
First try without the composite module. The desktop should be very fast. Then try the composite module.
Tried both modes. As for wallpapers, it took about a second or so to redraw a background (white stripe went upside down to change image) - no matter what mode is chosen - couldn't notice any difference. As for 3D speed, without compositing it works 10-15% faster on default glxgears window size - just at the same frame rate as Compiz with compositing, while on full-screen glxgears e17 without a composite outperforms composited Compiz about 2.5 times. So switching compositing off does improve performance but not significantly. Considering bigger CPU utilization I feel that maybe it still uses software rendering somehow. Or there may be some incompatibility with the driver.

Quote:
You will need to provide more information about your configuration -

1366x768-32@60
AMD E-450 APU with integrated GPU and shared memory
opensource driver xf86-video-ati-7.0.0
mesa-9.0.1
kernel 3.7.1-pf
[drm] radeon: 384M of VRAM memory ready
[drm] radeon: 512M of GTT memory ready

Quote:
ATI drivers (closed or open) perform the worst. There are fewer workarounds around ATI driver bugs. ...I would suspect your graphics drivers.

I eventually compare Compiz vs. e17 on the same hardware/drivers configuration. I expected e17 to outperform Compiz. It didn't - so I supposed maybe wrong settings are to blame. I use 3D desktop with cube on Compiz with compositing and frame rate is somewhat acceptable - about 75-80FPS (vblank zeroed, of course) dropping to about 45-50 while rotating the cube. BTW, I switched e17 FPS indicator on and see something strange - it ranges from 0.6 to 250+ while VSync is checked in preferences - so it shouldn't ever exceed 60FPS, right?

Quote:

Quote:
There is no "3D shelf", but there is a module called engage which looks like the OSX dock. That module is currently not working (crashes e) with the release tarball, but is reportedly working with svn. I haven't checked out EFL-1.7.5, so the bug might already be fixed in that.

Okay, I should probably wait until Engage is up-to-date...

Quote:
Quote:
There are none. Maybe a half finished one in svn which looks like the detourious theme (it is in svn).

I don't feel like to install stuff bypassing portage - it's potentially problematic if things go wrong or you just want to roll back. So no ebuilds yet... okay.

Quote:
Quote:
Native e17 apps are not in good shape. The devs seem more involved in EFL than in e17 apps. Don't use entrance. It has been a wreck for years. Instead, you can use slim. There were some very good e17 apps earlier, but the long development period has seen most of them become stale. We can only hope that new apps will come up to replace the old ones, or the old ones will get updated.

Sorry to read this. I'm using lxdm now, so I'll go on with it. I tried elna a year ago but couldn't make it work and was hoping it improves...

Quote:
Quote:
You can't replace that. e17 contains wm with the filemanager. It comes tightly integrated. In fact, any of the lists that you see in a theme selection dialog, or picture dialog, etc, are just an instance of the file manager.

BUMP! Why Windows+IE came upon my mind? But if I try to open a folder on my desktop I see only background - no files are shown in native FM. Obviously something wrong with it...

Quote:
Engage does that. But it is at least not working well with EFL-1.7.4. I haven't yet tried it with 1.7.5.

Please let us know about the results.

Quote:
Many of those are in extra modules in svn. They are unsupported by the core e17 devs. You can install them from the enlightenment overlay.

They are all -9999 in there, right? Will they fit in?

Thanks for the replies. :)
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few observations/questions... I've been using e17 since a few days after hitting the portage tree.

1 - It took a while to get themes working, mainly to discover that themes at e17-stuff weren't necessarily e17 themes.

2 - So far the efm has only shown me blank windows when I open it against anything.

3 - Every now and then e17 seems to pause - stalling the entire desktop. The mouse pointer moves, but nothing else happens. I'll have to double check that, seeing if the cpu or clock widgets update. It's also not clear when that's happening - things just stop updating, and if you're not expecting something to update, you won't notice. I've noticed mainly when walking through the e17 settings dialogs.

For other reasons I've had compositing disabled in X, but am thinking of enabling it, and building the e17 compositing module. I don't know if I'm running OpenGL or not.

Has anyone else seen these pauses, or know what to do about them. I had thought that moving to compositing or OpenGL might fix things, but then I see here that both appear to make things slower.

I'm running on integrated Radeon HD4000 with 128MB side-RAM. Not a barn-burner I know, but it has been satisfactory for everything else I've been doing.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dasPaul: Thanks for the feedback.

@kanyck: Compiz does quite a lot of workarounds for buggy graphics drivers (doing software rendering instead of hardware rendering for certain things). e17 doesn't do that. Look up the enlightenment-devel/users mailing list for rants from raster against ATI drivers!

@depontius: haven't seen any of these problems. Not sure how to help you there. You should probably email the mailing lists.
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ppurka
I'm far from questioning your experience but my impression is the opposite: that e17 does software rendering where Compiz uses hardware acceleration or even just a buffer switching... How else can I explain that it is sometimes slower 10% to 10 times while eating more CPU? But anyway, thanks for you answers. At least I got a clearer vision of the things, this is valuable to me.

I also wonder if e17 devs talk to radeon and mesa guys? From my experience they're quite communicative and open.

@depontius

2. Absolutely the same thing. It shows nice background, that's it.

3. I have short freezes, too. Also I can see glxgears got stuck for a moment roughly once a second if composite is on.

Hate to say this but I'm afraid the Radeon owners probably have to wait another year - e17 is really nice but still practically unusable... I didn't expect the things are this bad with e17 and radeon... After playing with it a few days I can not see it currently may be any better than what I have now - but I can see significant drawbacks. I'd have to give up many nice things I currently have, spend huge amount of time (including time of those whom I'll be asking for help) forcing things to work, bring another full set of libraries in my system while I'll still be using GTK applications for everything, use two file managers instead of one, etc. That's a pity, really, I was expecting much more from the release... :( Sorry for such a depressive post...
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanyck wrote:

Hate to say this but I'm afraid the Radeon owners probably have to wait another year - e17 is really nice but still practically unusable... I didn't expect the things are this bad with e17 and radeon... After playing with it a few days I can not see it currently may be any better than what I have now - but I can see significant drawbacks. I'd have to give up many nice things I currently have, spend huge amount of time (including time of those whom I'll be asking for help) forcing things to work, bring another full set of libraries in my system while I'll still be using GTK applications for everything, use two file managers instead of one, etc. That's a pity, really, I was expecting much more from the release... :( Sorry for such a depressive post...

This probably doesn't bode well for nouveau either, I take it? From a performance/stability standpoint, I generally think of nvidia binaries being the best, followed by ATI binaries, followed by Intel OSS, followed by Radeon OSS, followed by nouveau. (Though perhaps from a stability standpoint I might have to put the ATI binaries at the bottom of that list, but that's based on hearsay, not experience. I've never used the ATI binaries or the Intel OSS - I've used all of the others.)
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ATI hardware so can't say anything about Intel and Nvidia... I compared ATI blobs with open-source. The latter is much more usable, stable and less problematic in any sense. I've been sitting on ~amd64 drivers for more than a year without any major issues. And it's becoming better and better with every release. The blob is the real pain but it is twice (or more) as fast if you play games (I don't, however). The 2D desktop performance contest is won by open-source, with compositing the open-source is comparable as well. So my ultimate choice is open-source.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanyck wrote:
I've ATI hardware so can't say anything about Intel and Nvidia... I compared ATI blobs with open-source. The latter is much more usable, stable and less problematic in any sense. I've been sitting on ~amd64 drivers for more than a year without any major issues. And it's becoming better and better with every release. The blob is the real pain but it is twice (or more) as fast if you play games (I don't, however). The 2D desktop performance contest is won by open-source, with compositing the open-source is comparable as well. So my ultimate choice is open-source.

What ATI hardware do you have? I have an embedded HD4200, so I know my performance is nothing to write home about. Still it has done everything I've needed it to, pretty well.

Side note... I just started fiddling with it yesterday and today, and it appears that my X has compositing turned on, after all. My understanding is that the "comp" flag merely turns on the configuration tool for compositing management, but doesn't have much to say about compositing itself. I don't know if it's on or off by default, if the tool hasn't been built.

Anyway, tonight I tweaked the flag and rebuilt e17 with "comp" turned on in E17_MODULES.

When I go into settings, I can't find it. A little searching and it's supposed to be in the "Look" section, but it's not.

As a side check, I've left glxgears running while I've been doing all of this fiddling. It runs perfectly smoothly, even when the desktop itself has it's few-second hangs.

If I can figure out how, I'd like to turn compositing off, and see how that affects things.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@depontius: composite should be there in your case. Can you post the output of
Code:
emerge -pv enlightenment:0.17
enlightenment_remote -module-list

@kanyck: you can compare software compositing in e itself. Go to look -> composite -> rendering, and set it to software. If you don't get hangs/stalls then it is your graphics drivers.
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:

If I can figure out how, I'd like to turn compositing off, and see how that affects things.

You may just go in the Modules menu, find compositing module and press "Unload" button.

I currently use AMD E-450-based laptop with HD-6320 intergrated GPU.

I know nothing about "comp" USE flag. Generally xcomposite is used to enable X compositing (I keep it defined globally).
Maybe you mean enlightenment_modules_comp? It enables compilation of compositing module, but there's no need to recompile the whole thing to disable the module - you may just unload it.
kanyck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:

@kanyck: you can compare software compositing in e itself. Go to look -> composite -> rendering, and set it to software. If you don't get hangs/stalls then it is your graphics drivers.

No, it still stalls just the same - but everything works 2.5 times slower...
bedtime
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpil wrote:
About E17 themes:
We make an effort to recompile all themes, because with the E17 stable release, they don't work correctly. I've recompiled about 16 old themes, I created 5 new (with several versions) and I have many more in my hard disk to fix.
If you go to the E17-stuff site, all themes in the 4 first pages, are working fine with E17 stable. You can download any of them and install it via Settings --> Settings Panel --> Theme --> Import --> Apply. :wink:

I don't know why people are having issues with themes but I was able to easily download 6 themes and install them following these simple instructions. All working and looking great.

Thanx btw. :wink:
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
@depontius: composite should be there in your case. Can you post the output of
Code:
emerge -pv enlightenment:0.17
enlightenment_remote -module-list

Code:
$ emerge -pv enlightenment

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ~] x11-wm/enlightenment-0.17.0:0.17/0.17.0  USE="doc emotion nls pam spell udev ukit -static-libs" ENLIGHTENMENT_MODULES="backlight clock comp conf-applications conf-dialogs conf-display conf-edgebindings conf-interaction conf-keybindings conf-menus conf-paths conf-performance conf-randr conf-shelves conf-theme conf-window-manipulation conf-window-remembers cpufreq dropshadow everything fileman fileman-opinfo gadman ibar ibox mixer msgbus notification pager quickaccess start syscon systray tasks temperature winlist wizard -access -battery -conf-intl -connman -illume2 -shot -tiling -xkbswitch" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

and
Code:
$ enlightenment_remote -module-list
Module -- Status
tasks -- Enabled
comp -- Enabled
gadman -- Enabled
notification -- Enabled
syscon -- Enabled
start -- Enabled
ibar -- Enabled
ibox -- Enabled
clock -- Enabled
cpufreq -- Enabled
temperature -- Enabled
pager -- Enabled
winlist -- Enabled
conf -- Enabled
conf_randr -- Enabled
conf_applications -- Enabled
conf_dialogs -- Enabled
conf_display -- Enabled
conf_keybindings -- Enabled
conf_menus -- Enabled
conf_paths -- Enabled
conf_edgebindings -- Enabled
conf_performance -- Enabled
conf_shelves -- Enabled
conf_theme -- Enabled
conf_window_manipulation -- Enabled
fileman_opinfo -- Enabled
fileman -- Enabled
conf_interaction -- Enabled
conf_window_remembers -- Enabled
mixer -- Enabled
everything -- Enabled

Incidentally, I found the dialog to load the composite module and did so. As I loaded it, for a few moments things got really laggy and even glxgears (my background screen-checker through all of this) froze up. After that things have seemed fine. Even through this the only lags I've noticed have been when navigating the e preferences dialogs. Those are about as laggy as they were before.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your modules look fine to me. Not sure why you are getting the lags.
rpil
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a enlightenment package fail, today. Eeze and eina in wrong versions? Any ideas?

Code:
checking for EEZE... no
configure: error: Package requirements (eeze >= 1.7.5 ecore >= 1.7.5 eina >= 1.7.5) were not met:

Requested 'eeze >= 1.7.5' but version of eeze is 1.7.4
Requested 'eina >= 1.7.5' but version of Eina is 1.7.4

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables EEZE_CFLAGS
and EEZE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/enlightenment-9999/work/e/config.log
 * ERROR: x11-wm/enlightenment-9999 failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *          ebuild.sh, line   93:  Called src_configure
 *        environment, line 2996:  Called enlightenment_src_configure
 *        environment, line 1575:  Called econf '--disable-install-sysactions' '--disable-elementary' '--disable-doc' '--disable-device-hal' '--disable-mount-hal' '--enable-nls' '--enable-pam' '--enable-device-udev' '--enable-mount-eeze' '--disable-mount-udisks' '--enable-conf-applications' '--enable-conf-comp' '--enable-conf-dialogs' '--enable-conf-display' '--enable-conf-edgebindings' '--enable-conf-interaction' '--enable-conf-intl' '--enable-conf-keybindings' '--enable-conf-menus' '--enable-conf-paths' '--enable-conf-performance' '--enable-conf-randr' '--enable-conf-shelves' '--enable-conf-theme' '--enable-conf-wallpaper2' '--enable-conf-window-manipulation' '--enable-conf-window-remembers' '--disable-access' '--enable-backlight' '--enable-battery' '--enable-clock' '--enable-connman' '--enable-cpufreq' '--enable-dropshadow' '--enable-everything' '--enable-fileman' '--enable-fileman-opinfo' '--enable-gadman' '--enable-ibar' '--enable-ibox' '--enable-illume2' '--enable-mixer' '--enable-msgbus' '--enable-notification' '--enable-pager' '--disable-physics' '--enable-quickaccess' '--enable-shot' '--enable-start' '--enable-syscon' '--enable-systray' '--enable-tasks' '--enable-temperature' '--enable-tiling' '--enable-winlist' '--enable-wizard' '--enable-xkbswitch' '--disable-static'
 *   phase-helpers.sh, line  501:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *            die "econf failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-wm/enlightenment-9999'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-wm/enlightenment-9999'`.
 * This ebuild is from an overlay named 'enlightenment': '/var/lib/layman/enlightenment/'
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/enlightenment-9999/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/enlightenment-9999/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/enlightenment-9999/work/e'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/enlightenment-9999/work/e'

>>> Failed to emerge x11-wm/enlightenment-9999, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/enlightenment-9999/temp/build.log'

Code:
# emerge --info '=x11-wm/enlightenment-9999'
Portage 2.1.11.31 (default/linux/x86/10.0, gcc-4.5.4, glibc-2.15-r3, 3.3.8-gentoo i686)
=================================================================
                         System Settings
System uname: Linux-3.3.8-gentoo-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_M_processor_1600MHz-with-gentoo-2.1
Timestamp of tree: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 06:30:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.22
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p37
dev-lang/python:          2.7.3-r2, 3.2.3
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.9
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.27.1
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.1-r1
sys-apps/openrc:          0.11.8
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.5
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.69
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6
sys-devel/binutils:       2.22-r1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.5.4, 4.6.3
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.6 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.15-r3
Repositories: gentoo enlightenment
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="${EPREFIX}/etc/gconf /etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman/enlightenment"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X acl alsa berkdb bzip2 cdr cli cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dvd fortran gdbm gif gpm iconv ipv6 jpeg jpg kde modules mudflap ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre png pppd qt3support qt4 readline session ssl tcpd unicode x86 zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

Package Settings

x11-wm/enlightenment-9999 was built with the following:
USE="nls pam udev -doc -spell -static-libs -ukit" ENLIGHTENMENT_MODULES="backlight battery clock comp conf-applications conf-dialogs conf-display conf-edgebindings conf-interaction conf-intl conf-keybindings conf-menus conf-paths conf-performance conf-randr conf-shelves conf-theme conf-wallpaper2 conf-window-manipulation conf-window-remembers connman cpufreq dropshadow everything fileman fileman-opinfo gadman ibar ibox illume2 mixer msgbus notification pager quickaccess shot start syscon systray tasks temperature tiling winlist wizard xkbswitch -access -physics"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: