View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly it is not kernel related. I run kernel 3.5.7-gentoo at present, and this did not change on my last update, but sound performance did change. My dmesg now says:
Code:
ALSA device list:
  No soundcards found.
snd_intel8x0 0000:00:1f.5: setting latency timer to 64
00:09: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 50080 usecs (2414 samples)
intel8x0: clocking to 48000

so it looks as though the sound card is recognised, but after ALSA has missed it.

The machine then comes up with no sound. Running alsamixer, using F6 to select the sound card instead of the "default", then unmuting will fix the problem. On shutdown the alsamixer levels are apparently saved, but the trouble recurs on each boot.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone having this problem: can you discern if anything ALSA was recently updated on your machines?
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, nothing directly related to ALSA was updated, but I did move to udev-171. This apparently rebuilt my /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, which was OK on my desktop but permuted the ethers on my firewall.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe this issue is a udev issue, and not a kernel or ALSA issue...
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the error with older kernel 3.5.x and the sound works fine too. Boot back into 3.7.0 and the error comes back and although sound works, i can barely hear it.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified the restore() function in the init.d script to make it more verbose, and saw that my problem was with CARDNUM=1. In my case, that's HDA NVidia (alsamixer -> F6). Took a look at the controls, and yep, there are 4 SPDIF controls under HDA NVidia (the same number of errors I got). I removed HDMI/DisplayPort HD-audio codec support (under Intel HD Audio) in the kernel, and the messages are gone. I still have an HDA NVidia card in alsamixer -> F6, but now there are no controls there and no errors restoring either (of course).

I probably lost HDMI audio out, but I don't use it in my PC anyway...
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
I modified the restore() function in the init.d script to make it more verbose, and saw that my problem was with CARDNUM=1. In my case, that's HDA NVidia (alsamixer -> F6). Took a look at the controls, and yep, there are 4 SPDIF controls under HDA NVidia (the same number of errors I got). I removed HDMI/DisplayPort HD-audio codec support (under Intel HD Audio) in the kernel, and the messages are gone. I still have an HDA NVidia card in alsamixer -> F6, but now there are no controls there and no errors restoring either (of course).

Good find! Worked for me.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Newyear to all! :mrgreen:

Having this issue also, I am now downgrading my kernel to 3.6.11. See what happens...
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helena wrote:
Happy Newyear to all! :mrgreen:

Having this issue also, I am now downgrading my kernel to 3.6.11. See what happens...

Amazing how the little things can be so annoying... lol

Happy New Year Humans!!!
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:

I forgot about this until just now, I saw this yesterday and it made me take a look at my kernel configurations.
It seemed as though for some reason when starting out with this config I enabled a lot of things rather then just:
Code:

[*]   Build Realtek HD-audio codec support
:oops:
Which is all I actually needed, stopped alsa, deleted asound.state, rebooted, everything was fine and no errors, re-set audio levels. I'm going to assume that since the problem was HDMI/DisplayPort HD-audio codec support for Jupiter1TX and Fran it was also the problem here :)
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downgrading the kernel provided no improvement so it must be kernel-unrelated.

While others find that disabling HDMI support improves the situation this cannot be a real solution. Moreover, I just need that one :evil:

Still wondering whether it is alsa, udev or something else...
EddyC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helena wrote:
Downgrading the kernel provided no improvement so it must be kernel-unrelated.

While others find that disabling HDMI support improves the situation this cannot be a real solution. Moreover, I just need that one :evil:

Still wondering whether it is alsa, udev or something else...

I have tried with kernel 3.6.8, 3.6.11, 3.7.0 and 3.7.1 with lots of modifications and changes for either /etc/init.d/alsasound or kernel changes.

I am always succeeding hearing sounds on login screen, however, after I login the sound is too low that I can barely hear it.

Again, alsamixer -> F6 to detect the soundcard and raise the SPEAKER volume bring me back audio.

I suppose it is ALSA related...
Tiger_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
See if it still happens when you delete/rename /etc/asound.state /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and (after a reboot) you recreate them using /etc/init.d/alsasound save and alsactl store

Looks like runscript don't look there but here :
Code:
Tiger ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound -v -d restart
[...]
+ '[' -e /dev/snd/controlC1 ']'
+ alsactl -I -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore 1
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:3:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:7:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:8:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:9:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
EddyC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger_ wrote:
Quote:
See if it still happens when you delete/rename /etc/asound.state /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and (after a reboot) you recreate them using /etc/init.d/alsasound save and alsactl store

Looks like runscript don't look there but here :
Code:
Tiger ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound -v -d restart
[...]
+ '[' -e /dev/snd/controlC1 ']'
+ alsactl -I -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore 1
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:3:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:7:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:8:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:9:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state

Post #1 state exactly the above. Please everyone make sure you read teh whole posts
Tiger_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry for that.

Are you guys using Nvidia graphical card by chance ?

Code:
for card in `cat /proc/asound/cards |sed -e s/^\ // -e /^\ /d -e s/\ \\\[.*$//`;do alsactl -I -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore $card; done

it's a direct call from what the runscript do.

Now if I look in the asound.state file :

Code:
Tiger ~ # egrep ^st /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
state.NVidia {
state.NVidia_1 {

After this :

Code:
Tiger ~ # alsactl -I -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore 0
Tiger ~ # alsactl -I -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore 1

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.1
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-310.19

07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 [GeForce GTX 560] (rev a1)
EddyC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger_ wrote:
Yeah, sorry for that.

Are you guys using Nvidia graphical card by chance ?

Code:
for card in `cat /proc/asound/cards |sed -e s/^\ // -e /^\ /d -e s/\ \\\[.*$//`;do alsactl -I -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore $card; done

it's a direct call from what the runscript do.

Now if I look in the asound.state file :

Code:
Tiger ~ # egrep ^st /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
state.NVidia {
state.NVidia_1 {

After this :

Code:
Tiger ~ # alsactl -I -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore 0
Tiger ~ # alsactl -I -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore 1

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.1
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-310.19

07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 [GeForce GTX 560] (rev a1)

I have "Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller"
cdstealer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. this is a udev issue. It seems to be with =sys-fs/udev-197-r1. Although I get the set_control error on boot, I have sound.
What I found was with the above version of udev, on boot there were 4 udevadm file not found errors when populating udev. This stopped sounds, hardware acceleration (onchip Intel) and all my DVB cards from being detected correctly.
So I masked this version and rolled back to udev-197 and all is working again!
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdstealer wrote:
OK.. this is a udev issue.

hmm, doubt it
Am running sys-fs/udev-171-r8 and i get the error!
pste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issue: gentoo-sources 3.7.2, gcc-4.6.3, udev-197-r2, NVIDIA GTX 560M, Xfce (in parallel with [mostly unused] KDE and Gnome).
Code:
 # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
 * WARNING: you are stopping a boot service
 * Caching service dependencies ...
Service `hostapd' needs non existent service `net.wlan0'                                      [ ok ]
 * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...                                                              [ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
I have however some additional problems, perhaps related, but probably more from also having pulseaudio installed. When this thing with very low volume appears, I have to manipulate both pulseadio volume and alsamixer volumes and they seem to have a race condition between them and affect eachother. I haven't yet sorted out if one always has preceedance over the other, it seems rather arbitrary. What happens is that if I slide for instance the pulseadio volume slider slowly towards lower, suddenly (at say 15%) all volume controls jump to zero, and sometimes mute is turned on, and I have to flip all mute flags on and of in another unidentified sequence before sound comes back.

I have this feeling that my problem(s) appeared at the same time as these bad filedescriptors. Is there perhaps a connection?

/pste
cdstealer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pste,
When you updated to udev-197-rX did you re-emerge all the packages that use udev?

An easy way to see if you have done them all is to "ls -l /usr/lib/udev". This path should not exist as everything has moved to /lib/udev.

Code:
for f in $(equery d udev | cut -f1); do emerge =$f; done && emerge hwids
did it for me.

The "bad file descriptor" issue only effected my server and downgrading udev solved it, however, my laptop is running udev-197-r2 and has no issues with anything.

My laptop info is
Code:
# emerge --info
Portage 2.1.11.31 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.6.3, glibc-2.15-r3, 3.7.1-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.7.1-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_Q_740_@_1.73GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
Timestamp of tree: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 04:15:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.23.1
ccache version 3.1.9 [disabled]
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p37
dev-java/java-config:     2.1.11-r3
dev-lang/python:          2.7.3-r2, 3.2.3
dev-util/ccache:          3.1.9
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.9
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.27.1
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2
sys-apps/openrc:          0.11.8
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.5
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.69
sys-devel/automake:       1.4_p6-r1, 1.9.6-r3, 1.11.6
sys-devel/binutils:       2.23.1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.6.3
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.6 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.15-r3
Repositories: gentoo mythtv
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA dlj-1.1 Nero-EULA-US AdobeFlash-10.3 PUEL google-chrome Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE google-talkplugin skype-eula NVIDIA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="${EPREFIX}/etc/gconf /etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/gentoo/ http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/gentoo/ ftp://mirror.qubenet.net/mirror/gentoo/ http://mirror.qubenet.net/mirror/gentoo/"
LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/mythtv_portage/Gentoo"
SYNC="rsync://mediafukka/gentoo-portage"
USE="64bit X a52 aac aacs ace acl acpi alsa amd64 amr apng berkdb bluetooth bluray branding bzip2 cairo ccache cddb cdparanoia cdrdao cheese cli colord compress consolekit cpudetection cracklib crypt cue cups cxx dbus device-mapper dhcpcd disk-partition dlopen dri dvd encode exif extras faac faad fat ffmpeg flac flash fontconfig fortran g3dvl gallium gcrypt gdbm gdu gecko gif gles gles1 gles2 glitz gmplayer gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gnome-shell gnutls gpm gpu gstreamer gtk gudev health hpcups hpijs hwdb hybrid-auth iconv icu id3 introspection java6 jpeg keymap lame laptop libnotify matroska minizip mmx modules mp3 msn mudflap multilib nautilus ncurses networkmanager nls nptl nsplugin ntfs old-daemons openal opengl openmp openrc pam pango pcre pdf perl png policykit ppp pppd previewer pulseaudio python qt3support qt4 rar readline scanner sendto session shorten sid smart sndfile socialweb sqlite sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssl ssse3 startup-notification static-ppds svg tcpd test-programs threads tiff truetype udev unicode unicode3 usb vala vdpau vorbis wav wavpack webgl webkit webrtc-aec wifi x264 xcb xcomposite xpm xvmc xz zip zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic auth_digest authn_anon authn_dbd authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock dbd deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers ident imagemap include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation proxy proxy_ajp proxy_balancer proxy_connect proxy_http rewrite setenvif so speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias apache2_modules_auth_digest" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="en en_GB" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19" SANE_BACKENDS="=abaton =agfafocus =apple =artec =artec_eplus48u =as6e =avision =bh =canon =canon630u =canon_dr =canon_pp =cardscan =coolscan =coolscan2 =coolscan3 =dc210 =dc240 =dc25 =dell1600n_net =dmc =epjitsu =epson =epson2 =fujitsu =genesys =gt68xx hp =hp3500 =hp3900 hp4200 =hp5400 =hp5590 =hpljm1005 =hpsj5s =hs2p =ibm =kodak =kodakaio%* =kvs1025 =kvs20xx =kvs40xx%* =leo =lexmark =ma1509 =magicolor =matsushita =microtek =microtek2 =mustek =mustek_pp =mustek_usb =mustek_usb2%* =nec net =niash =p5 =pie =pixma =plustek =plustek_pp =qcam =ricoh =rts8891 =s9036 =sceptre =sharp =sm3600 =sm3840 =snapscan =sp15c =st400 =stv680 =tamarack =teco1 =teco2 =teco3 {test} =u12 =umax =umax1220u =umax_pp =xerox_mfp =pnm%" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="=apm =ark =chips =cirrus =cyrix =dummy =fbdev =glint =i128 =i740 =i810 =intel =imstt =mga =neomagic =nsc =rendition =s3 =s3virge =savage =siliconmotion =sis =sisusb =tdfx =tga =trident =tseng =v41 =vesa vga =via =voodoo nvidia" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

I agree that this may not be solely a udev issue.

I still get the below, but sound works ok.

Code:
# /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:9:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state                 [ ok ]

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.25-r1:0.9  USE="nls -doc -minimal (-selinux)" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] media-sound/pulseaudio-2.1-r1  USE="X alsa asyncns bluetooth caps dbus gdbm glib gnome gtk orc ssl tcpd udev webrtc-aec -avahi -doc -equalizer -ipv6 -jack -libsamplerate -lirc (-oss) -realtime (-system-wide) (-systemd) {-test} -xen" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ~] gnome-base/gnome-light-3.6.2:2.0  USE="cups gnome-shell -fallback" 0 kB

Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdstealer wrote:
Hi pste,
When you updated to udev-197-rX did you re-emerge all the packages that use udev?

An easy way to see if you have done them all is to "ls -l /usr/lib/udev". This path should not exist as everything has moved to /lib/udev.

Code:
did it for me.

This only works in bash, how to make it work in zsh :?:
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdstealer wrote:

Code:

Thanks for this. I wasn't experiencing any weird behavior with my sound, except for the boot message from alsactl. However, I also wasn't aware that all packages that use udev should have been rebuilt.

Using your bash command rebuilt most of the affected packages on my laptop, except for libmtp, (which moved mtp-probe to the new /lib/udev location), and libgphoto2, (which moved check-ptp-camera over). Finally re-emerging alsa-utils fuse libosinfo mdadm ntfs3g and sane-backends moved their respective /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/ rules files over to /lib/udev/rules.d/. Once that was done my /usr/lib/udev directory was removed.

Thanks..
pste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdstealer and jasn, thanks for great tips, I too wasn't aware of (hadn't noticed) the move of udev rules, mission now completed 8) ! Just a small note (addition). I wasn't perceptive enough to realize this in time myself, and got to do a time consuming manual cleaning of my world file. That is, the great oneliner of cdstealer could perhaps be improved by a simple 'emerge -1 xxx', and inspired by both of you I did the second oneliner to find the remaining packages with leftover udev rules...
Code:
#1 : for f in $(equery d udev | cut -f1); do emerge -v1 =$f; done

#2 : for f in $(equery b /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/* | cut -f1); do emerge -v1 =$f; done

Altough I'm afraid my little annoying volumecontrol problem persists. What happens is that pulsadio volume control increases alsamixer alright (in a slightly lagging manner) but does not decrease it. Alsamixer volumecontrol make pulseadio volume follow, but 100% alsa means ~80% pulse and when alsa volume makes pulse reduce past 18% it jumps to zero. Furthermore, everytime a sound application is started, say banshee, pulse jumps to 100% (making alsa follow) and your ears start to ache... which perhaps is the most annoying thing about this, together with the fact that banshee now has started to crash (spontanteosly shut down without a clue about why nor producing any logs). It sounds to me like a calibration/interaction problem between alsa and pulse, but I have no idea where to start look for configurations...

/pste
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
"file descriptor in bad state"

I had the same, but I didn't pay much attention and eventually it went away.

Somewhere in 3.7.2 changelog mentions some ALSA fixes, specifically about HDA driver.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_______0 wrote:
Code:
"file descriptor in bad state"

I had the same, but I didn't pay much attention and eventually it went away.

Somewhere in 3.7.2 changelog mentions some ALSA fixes, specifically about HDA driver.
Yes, here they are from the changelog:
  • ALSA: hda - add mute LED for HP Pavilion 17 (Realtek codec)
  • ALSA: hda - Fix pin configuration of HP Pavilion dv7
  • ALSA: hda - Fix the wrong pincaps set in ALC861VD dallas/hp fixup
  • ALSA: hda - Always turn on pins for HDMI/DP
  • ALSA: hda - Add stereo-dmic fixup for Acer Aspire One 522
  • ALSA: hda - Move runtime PM check to runtime_idle callback

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: