machine started running SLLOOOWWWW
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: machine started running SLLOOOWWWW Reply with quote

Don't know what is going on here.

I am not doing anything funny (like overclocking), and am running mostly stable x86 linux on the machine.

I am not running any other applications at the moment (in particular, not even X). Top isn't showing anything consuming significant resources.

The machine has slowed down dramatically over the past few days (it has not been rebooted during this time).

A quick example here showing the difference in compile time for wine (I recompiled to remove opengl support, otherwise they are with the same options):

Code:

$ ls -al /var/log/portage/*wine* [removed the replacement log]
-rw-rw---- 1 portage portage 2849798 2012-12-24 01:52:54 /var/log/portage/app-emulation:wine-1.4.1:20121224-012907.log
-rw-rw---- 1 portage portage 2941386 2012-12-28 17:29:08 /var/log/portage/app-emulation:wine-1.4.1:20121228-163452.log

So the first compilation took about twenty-four minutes, and the second one fifty-five minutes.

I am noticing this on everything else I am doing on the system (including other package updates).

I don't see anything that I have installed that would have affected the system (updates for man-pages, neon, libxslt, and gutenprint).

I also don't see anything strange with the cpu or hard drive (did some tests on the latter).

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon,

Are you using the powersave CPU governor?
That minimises your CPU clock at all times. The performance governor runs the CPU flat out always and on-demand increased the clock according to CPU load.
There are other choices too.

/proc/cpuinfo will show your CPU speed right now. The kernel config will show what governors you have built in. You can switch between them by fiddling about in /proc

Very long shot - your CPU internal cache has been switched off for some reason but I would expect much bigger slowdowns for that.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Are you using the powersave CPU governor?

No, I am using the conservative CPU governor (it actually is a laptop, but the battery is so bad, it only holds a charge for twenty minutes, so I keep it plugged in all of the time).

I have always used that governor on this machine, and haven't changed anything in that area.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Very long shot - your CPU internal cache has been switched off for some reason but I would expect much bigger slowdowns for that.

Is there a way of checking for that?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon,

Its a BIOS function normally. On multi core CPUs, you can also turn cores off, all except core 0

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Its a BIOS function normally. On multi core CPUs, you can also turn cores off, all except core 0

Certainly haven't touched either of those. I guess I will try the windoze solution and reboot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: