VirtualBox RDP display goes blank when X starts [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: VirtualBox RDP display goes blank when X starts [SOLVED] Reply with quote

This could be under Kernel & Hardware or even Unsupported Software but here looks like the best fit.

I've set up Gentoo as a VirtualBox guest on a headless server and it feeds the display via RDP to MS's RDP client. On the guest, /etc/init.d/xdm start the RDP display goes blank and unresponsive to keyboard input. Well you might expect that; it sounds like a routine display problem except that the local line from /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers is commented-out and according to ps -ef, X is not running. I'm just using xdm as a remote XDMCP server. Sp what makes the screen go blank ? I would expect the /etc/init.d/xdm start command to echo [OK] and return to the command prompt.

[Later] this happens when kdm is the display manager but not when xdm is.

Last edited by mounty1 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: cracked it Reply with quote

Adding kernel options CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND and CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL as required by current builds of udisks seems to solve this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: