View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: emerge kde-meta not possible: udev gudev conflict Reply with quote

When trying to emerge kde-meta (pretend - emerge -p kde-meta), it won't even start building and complains that "sys-fs/udev is blocking sys-fs/eudev-0". Removing udev doesn't help because it get reinstalled then blocks eudev again - I think something else required udev. I've seen some comments from others that say to do an emerge --sync but that does not work for me. This is a brand new install. Both x86 and amd64 have the same problem.

Here is the relavent output from emerge (-p):

Quote:

[ebuild N ] kde-base/kdeplasma-addons-4.9.3 USE="exif (-aqua) -attica -debug -desktopglobe -fcitx -ibus -json -oauth -qalculate -qwt -scim -semantic-desktop"
[ebuild N ] kde-base/kdebase-startkde-4.9.3 USE="wallpapers (-aqua)"
[ebuild N ] kde-base/kdebase-meta-4.9.3 USE="wallpapers (-aqua)"
[ebuild N ] kde-base/kde-meta-4.9.3 USE="nls -accessibility (-aqua) -sdk -semantic-desktop"
[blocks B ] sys-fs/udev ("sys-fs/udev" is blocking sys-fs/eudev-0)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

sys-auth/pambase:0

(sys-auth/pambase-20101024-r2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
(no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(sys-auth/pambase-20101024-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
sys-auth/pambase[consolekit] required by (sys-auth/polkit-0.107-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

net-print/cups:0

(net-print/cups-1.5.2-r4::gentoo, installed) pulled in by

(net-print/cups-1.5.2-r4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
net-print/cups[dbus] required by (kde-base/system-config-printer-kde-4.9.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
net-print/cups[dbus] required by (app-admin/system-config-printer-common-1.3.11-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

virtual/udev:0

(virtual/udev-171::gentoo, installed) pulled in by

(virtual/udev-171::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
virtual/udev[gudev] required by (sys-power/upower-0.9.18::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
virtual/udev[gudev,hwdb] required by (sys-fs/udisks-1.0.4-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

!!! Enabling --newuse and --update might solve this conflict.
!!! If not, it might help emerge to give a more specific suggestion.

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eudev is a fork of udev. You can't have both, and if you don't know which to choose stick with udev. The problem will likely resolve if you run emerge -auvND world first.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what eudev is and that only one should/can be used at a time. The problem is that gentoo seems to want them both - different packages depend on one or the other in kde-meta, so gentoo tried to install both udev and eudev.

Since this is a brand new install, I don't think emerge world will help here. Instead, I somehow need to force all packages to use one or the other, which means somehow changing what some of the packages depend on. Is there a way to force them all to depend on udev?

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would not be the first time that the stage3 comes with issues. In this case, nothing should directly depend on eudev or udev. They should be depending on the udev virtual. You may as well try updating first, or syncing the tree. New installs are not immune from changing use flags or new updates.

It looks to me like the virtual may not be installed so portage is getting confused, or something similar. You message indicates that nothing is really being blocked. Gentoo should take care of that itself.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
This would not be the first time that the stage3 comes with issues. In this case, nothing should directly depend on eudev or udev. They should be depending on the udev virtual. You may as well try updating first, or syncing the tree. New installs are not immune from changing use flags or new updates.

It looks to me like the virtual may not be installed so portage is getting confused, or something similar. You message indicates that nothing is really being blocked. Gentoo should take care of that itself.

From the output of "emerge -p kde-meta":

Quote:

[ebuild N ] kde-base/kdeplasma-addons-4.9.3 USE="exif (-aqua) -attica -debug -desktopglobe -fcitx -ibus -json -oauth -qalculate -qwt -scim -semantic-desktop"
[ebuild N ] kde-base/kdebase-startkde-4.9.3 USE="wallpapers (-aqua)"
[ebuild N ] kde-base/kdebase-meta-4.9.3 USE="wallpapers (-aqua)"
[ebuild N ] kde-base/kde-meta-4.9.3 USE="nls -accessibility (-aqua) -sdk -semantic-desktop"
[blocks B ] sys-fs/udev ("sys-fs/udev" is blocking sys-fs/eudev-0)

Note that it wants to install eudev and won't install kde-meta because eudev is blocked. From a brand new install, including emerge --sync, kde-meta will not install - portage is not taking care of it.

It looks like the block is right after kde-meta-4.9.3. So it it were somehow forced, most would get installed, but I'm not sure how to force it. And I don't know what else would be missing that would be after eudev.

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You appear to be missing the point I am making: the stage3 looks like it is at fault. Updating should fix it or at least give a more descriptive error.

You should try updating as portage suggests. The virtual should take care of all this. I have KDE installed without this problem so I know that KDE is not at fault. The problem is somewhere in your system. There is no requirement in any ebuild for eudev or udev specificity. Following portage's recommendations usually works.

portage wrote:

I am curious, why do you so resistant to trying an update? If you knew what the problem was you would not have posted.

mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
You appear to be missing the point I am making: the stage3 looks like it is at fault. Updating should fix it or at least give a more descriptive error.

You should try updating as portage suggests. The virtual should take care of all this. I have KDE installed without this problem so I know that KDE is not at fault. The problem is somewhere in your system. There is no requirement in any ebuild for eudev or udev specificity. Following portage's recommendations usually works.

portage wrote:

I am curious, why do you so resistant to trying an update? If you knew what the problem was you would not have posted.

I'm not trying to be obstinate :) I thought I HAD updated - emerge --sync, emerge portage, latest stage3 from the web. Is there something I'm not updating? When I said this was a brand new install, I meant that I had downloaded everything new. Here are the files I'm working with:

stage3-i686-20121016.tar.bz2
portage-20121211.tar.bz2
install-x86-minimal-20120710.iso (this looks old, but I have installed gentoo with it, and it's worked)

Thanks for your patience :)

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stage3 does not come up to date. It looks like this one was uploaded December 10. There should be a few packages that need updating. The udev virtual is probably one. It is very new, as in the past few weeks. It is a reasonable assumption that it may not have been in the stage3.

emerge --sync does not update your system, It only updates the portage tree. To update, you need to run emerge -auvND world the u stands for update, a stands for ask, v, stands fro verbose, N stands for new use, and D stands for deep (as in the dependencies of dependencies). At the least, it should narrow down the problem space.

By the way, at this point your install media is irrelevant since you don't actually keep any parts of the live CD environment. You just use it as a tool box.
The portage snapshot got overwritten when you used emerge --sync and updated portage. The material in the stage3 is basically just a starter kit. After you update, there should be no practical difference between your install and one that is a few years old. Since gentoo is version less, important updates can and do arrive any time. One of these seems to have been between the generation of your stage3 and your attempt to install KDE.

mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: I think something is missing here... Reply with quote

When I rebuild a system, I'm formatting the hard disk partitions, using the minimal install disk to install everything from scratch, building a new kernel, building KDE from new, etc. Doesn't that mean that "emerge -world" doesn't apply? There's no world to update - it's all being build NEW.

I think this is where we are talking past each other. You want me to update, but I am updating in the most severe way possible - NUKE and rebuild completely.

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try the command, you should see it does. In this case, "world" will catch everything. You didn't nuke everything. You nuked your old system and put an identical new system that was about a week out of date in its place. The new system was already out of date. The starge3 contains about 60 or so packages in the system set, but emerge -auvND world will catch those as well (That is partial what the -D is for). When you install a new stage3 you still need to update it. You should see some output if you try it and it should take about 10 seconds, longer if there are updates. This command will do absolutely nothing if there are no packages that need to be updated or merged.

I did notice the context and the forum this is posted in. I do realise that you have been using Gentoo since 2009 and this is a fresh install. that What I have been saying is the stage3 is not perfect and not up to date. In this case a critical change appears to have been introduced between when the stage was built and when you installed it. The proper fix for this is to use portage to update your system.

mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'll give that a shot then. So, update world right after the initial installation of the basic, bootable system.

Thanks.

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalker wrote:
Cool, I'll give that a shot then. So, update world right after the initial installation of the basic, bootable system.

Thanks.

And what happened?
You could at least tried and read for a minute:
Code:
# man emerge

The Doctor was really patient with you.
Thanks, The Doctor, for helping newbies.
I got the same problem.
Haven't updated my Gentoo in about 10 days, so it's normal.
Will probably go away in the fashion you so patiently explained.
mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, was drinking Sunday so I could go to work the next day, then I was really tired after work on Monday :) I'm doing the update now, then I will install X and KDE.

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck, "emerge -p kde-meta" still says udev is blocking eudev. When I did "auvND world" glibc failed to compile (gcc followed it), but I thought might just be ok. It doesn't seem like it should affect (e)udev though...

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, glibc is REALLY important. You should try with the new gcc.

You are right that this should not affect eudev/udev. The package I would expect to solve this is virtual/udev. Did the glibc failures stop if from being merged? You can try emerge -pv virtual/udev to see if it needs to be installed, and if it does, emerge it with the -1 option. (-1 is for oneshot since the virtual should not go in the world file.)

If it was installed, then things may get a little tricky. In that case, please post the entire output of emerge -pvtND kde-meta the -t stands for tree so we can see what is pulling everything. If it is particularity long, please use wgetpaste or similar.

EDIT: It looks like the virtual hit the tree on Dec 12, so your tarball is too early to include it since it was last modified on the Dec 10.

miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalker wrote:
No luck, "emerge -p kde-meta" still says udev is blocking eudev. When I did "auvND world" glibc failed to compile (gcc followed it), but I thought might just be ok. It doesn't seem like it should affect (e)udev though...

That's fine, bro!
In my story, that has similar connotations (I mean some of them, udev, eudev...)
I am now searching for solutions here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934678-start-300.html
or somewhere around there.
mwalker, maybe you should check if you got ::udev or ::gentoo in the packages to emerge.
If you have
::udev
like me in some of them, that is wrong, it is the overlay to abandon.
But than go over there and study there.
And if you got
::gentoo
in the udev related packages, then I don't know.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Well, glibc is REALLY important. You should try with the new gcc.

You are right that this should not affect eudev/udev. The package I would expect to solve this is virtual/udev. Did the glibc failures stop if from being merged? You can try emerge -pv virtual/udev to see if it needs to be installed, and if it does, emerge it with the -1 option. (-1 is for oneshot since the virtual should not go in the world file.)

If it was installed, then things may get a little tricky. In that case, please post the entire output of emerge -pvtND kde-meta the -t stands for tree so we can see what is pulling everything. If it is particularity long, please use wgetpaste or similar.

EDIT: It looks like the virtual hit the tree on Dec 12, so your tarball is too early to include it since it was last modified on the Dec 10.

I finally had time to really mess with this. The "emerge -auvND world" does not work, and I was also trying to run "emerge -ve --keep-going system" to try to get everything up to date. I ran both of these multiple times, like right after the base system is installed and just booted, and right before trying to get kde-meta. glibc NEVER compiles and gives me the error "make for x86 failed" which caused me to set -march=core2 (I'm using a XEON E5-2630), but it looks like glibc is trying to compile in 32-bit mode. The error with udev and eudev will not go away.

It seems like I need to build Gentoo from a stage 1 to get the packages correct. I know that isn't supported, but it it possible (it has to be, since building the equivalent of stage 1 would be a prerequisite to building stage 3)? Alternately, when is a new stage 3 coming out?

My boss said I could install virtualbox on my laptop, so I will try this in x86 mode again (I was getting the same problem, but maybe glibc will compile and I can update the system) over the holliday. He was kind of interested in the problem too.

Thanks.

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is starting to sound like a problem that may reach beyond kde.

I don't think that reinstalling will solve any of your problems, even from a stage 1. A stage 3 is identical to a stage 1, just skipping all the pain of the stage 1. Reinstalling will just give you the opportunity to make the same mistakes.If you want to wait for a new stage3, you can look at the mirrors here to check the upload date.

We may still be able to get to the root of your troubles.
Can you post the output of
    wgetpaste /etc/portage/make.conf
    or wgetpaste /etc/make.conf depending on the location you chose
    emerge -pvt kde-meta virtual/udev| wgetpaste

You may need to emerge wgetpaste. Its a handy little tool for occasions like this. It will upload your files or output to a paste bin and return a url which you can copy much more easily.

mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is interesting. virtual/udev is present:

Quote:

emerge -p virtual/udev
[ebuild R ] virtual/udev-171

but "emerge -pvt kde-meta" fails with the udev/eudev error. However, with the command line you specify - with virtual/udev after kde-meta on the emerge line - it looks like it will work.

Here is the output without virtual/udev on the emerge line:
http://bpaste.net/show/66178/

Here it is with virtual/udev on the emerge line:
http://bpaste.net/show/66179/

And here is the output from wgetpaste /etc/portage/make.conf:
http://bpaste.net/show/66175/

Wow, wgetpaste is a very handy tool!

So what is happening when virtual/udev is on the emerge command line vs. when it isn't, given that virtual/udev is installed? It seems to be the special "don't suck" option that I have been looking for, and I will try it without all the updating of the system, plus try it with just "emerge -auvDN world".

The reason I was thinking of building a stage 1 was that perhaps I could build it with a good toolset rather than attempting to update the system and having that fail on glibc. I still can't get glibc to work, but I'm guessing it won't be necessary for kde.

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess that solves the udev problem. Your make.conf looks good. The -j6 might be bit too aggressive for some packages, but I don't think -j6 is generally a problem. You might want to try MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge -uv glibc to see if that is the case for glibc or if the error is easer to find.

mwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll try -j1 for glibc. I think I remember cases where multi-core compiling caused failures before, fortunately not very often. Strangely, I think with multi-threading turned off in the BIOS, compilation is a whole lot faster. That's why it isn't -j12. I'll have to verify that though.

Thanks.

Do not look into laser
With remaining eye
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: