View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SProkofiev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Not sure what to call the problem Reply with quote

Sorry to post this question, but I have no idea how to eliminate it and I've not yet found anyone, who
seems to experience it.

I switched from KDE to XFCE quite sometime ago. I like KDE, but kmail stopped working long ago and then this akonadi et al came in and it was time to give up.
XFCE has an intermittent problem and I can not figure how to correct it.

What happens is that during normal use menus begin to give me errors. They stop working. I often F2 and that stops working, that is it will not come up to allow me to enter a command.

After awhile the menus may begin to allow applications to be called again, but this unpredictable.

Again, when I call a menu, the menu item comes up, but will not call the application. I always have a terminal up, but entering the command without correcting the problem
is frustrating. BTW, I do use the command line often, but I tend to use a combination.

Thanks.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend revdep-rebuild in the absence of logs or errors. (hint: we need those. We are not psychic. /var/logs/messages may hold clues. I don't know where else this would be logged.)

As for KDE, here is my two cents that you are, of course, more than free to ignore: Thunderbird solves the kmail problem and USE="-semantic-desktop" drives a stake through the akonadi et al mess.

EDIT: I would call your problem "intermittent failure of XFCE menu"

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
SProkofiev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: "intermittent failure of XFCE menu" Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the response. Sorry for no log info as I'm unsure there is any. I do like the "stake through the akonadi et al mess"
suggestion!! I hoped there was some way to do that, buy had never seen any such solution. I'm off for the Christmas holiday
so that will me one of my projects!

Thanks again.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: "intermittent failure of XFCE menu" Reply with quote

SProkofiev wrote:
Thanks very much for the response. Sorry for no log info as I'm unsure there is any. I do like the "stake through the akonadi et al mess"
suggestion!! I hoped there was some way to do that, buy had never seen any such solution.

Oh it is just a matter of setting the right use flag. semantic-desktop enables the three, akonadi, nepomuk, and Strigi. You just need to disable the use flag (and employ package.mask if you are paranoid) and emerge -uND world && emerge -ac. The only features of KDE that will not work are the KDE PIM stuff like kmail, but if you already dropped that, then you should be all set.

EDIT: The above definitely takes the bite out of the three and removes one (nepomuk) but I don't know if actually removes the other two. I can't actually check that now since my desktop is in my apartment and my laptop runs Arch, so I don't have access to a Gentoo system at the moment. Even if it does not remove them, it does make the desktop feel like a new one.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: