Trying to do anything at all with wine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Trying to do anything at all with wine Reply with quote

I just installed wine for the first time (running stable x86 gentoo with kde).

So far, I am not impressed.

First of all, is there supposed to be some menu entry for wine? I found nothing, even looking through the files via qlist.

I could not get any sound at all (using the test from winecfg). The documentation suggested as a troubleshooting technique trying to send random data to /dev/dsp (that produced a quick "Device or resource busy"). Sound works perfectly otherwise on the machine.

Finally (and most important), I have not yet been able to find any application that will even install with wine. The programs will just stop (the window disappears) early in the installation without any message or log files.

Does anyone know how to get this to work?
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) run `winecfg` -> set your prefered settings (windows version, libraries native vs built-in, etc)
b) run the installer from the shell (`wine path/to/exe`)
c) if it fails, check the output for clues
d) get yourself a copy of http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
e) use winetricks to install the most common dependencies, i.e. directx, dotnet, etc
f) try again
g) if it still fails, google for the desired app/game in combination with the error messages or look up appdb

In general, wine runs really good, I've got some games, Adobe CS2 and MS Office running without major issues. Heavily depends on what you want, though, some apps just won't run, so either google beforehand or tell us, what you want/need.
XQYZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially consider installing all that MS crap such as Windows Installer, dot Net/mono, DirectX. That's usually why stuff fails. "Normal Apps" usually work without much hazzle thought. For everything else there's the Wine App DB.
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:
a) run `winecfg` -> set your prefered settings (windows version, libraries native vs built-in, etc)

Did that.

avx wrote:
b) run the installer from the shell (`wine path/to/exe`)

Did that.

avx wrote:
c) if it fails, check the output for clues

No output. Installation just quit on the first window without any warning.

avx wrote:
d) get yourself a copy of http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

Will do that.

avx wrote:
e) use winetricks to install the most common dependencies, i.e. directx, dotnet, etc

Will do that.

avx wrote:
f) try again

Did a lot of that. :(

avx wrote:
g) if it still fails, google for the desired app/game in combination with the error messages or look up appdb

I can't find the apps in the appdb.

avx wrote:
some apps just won't run, so either google beforehand or tell us, what you want/need.

I have several, but lets start with one that looks simple. Nodtronics Crazy Mini Golf, published in 2002. It lists as its system requirements: "Pentium II 266 MHz, 32MB RAM, 90MB hard disk space for installation, 800 x 600 screen resolution, 16-Bit colour, 3D video card, sound card, CD ROM, mouse, Windows 98, ME, 2000, or XP." Those don't seem particularly challenging. :)

Again, is there supposed to be a kde menu entry for wine? And any ideas why I am not getting anything when I do the sound test in winecfg?

Thanks.
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winetricks is in portage, you just need to unmask it (app-emulation/winetricks)
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Again, is there supposed to be a kde menu entry for wine?
]Don't know, I'm not running kde/gnome. But I know that, if an application install is successful and it would generate shortcuts (menu/desktop) on windows, you normally get a shortcut in your menu - at least that's the case on my wife's box for some apps.

Quote:
And any ideas why I am not getting anything when I do the sound test in winecfg?
What sound-system are we talking? Plain ALSA/OSS, extra layers like phonon/pulseaudio/...? On my wife's box, I had to switch the output in pulseaudio (gnome-panel thingy, surely there's something in kde for that, kmixer?) from 'headphones' to 'stereo speakers', to get any sound out of it.

As for your game, I don't know it, only thing I could find possibly related is Crazy Mini Golf from Crystal Interactive 12/2001. If that's not it, can you share a link or the files if they are free?
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have q4wine installed.
It's a gui for configuring and starting wine.
Works nicely with wine-1.2.1.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also associate .exe files with WINE in your WM, then simply double click the .exe to run it. Sound errors are generally due to running a daemon such as pulseaudio or jack and not having wine compiled/set up to use them.

run the exe from the shell using
WINEDEBUG="+all" wine path/to/exe/file.exe

and post up what the shell says, consider adding it to appdb since it seems this is a currently unknown application, and like said, some programs just wont run on current systems , especially ones that do nasty things like try to directly modify protected memory, or basically have their own built in video card drivers, for stuff like that you need a full emulator (stuff like that wont run on a current windows system either btw). The system requirements are fairly irrelevant in WINE, chance of a program running is more dependent on how much the developers of it actually followed how API's are supposed to be used, and not used "little tricks".
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Wine has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. It's certainly a hell of a lot more reliable than it was, say, 5 years ago. The sound test in winecfg has never worked very well (who knows why!?) so just try something else that makes a noise instead. I've used ALSA with Wine before and now use PulseAudio and have never had much trouble with either. Also consider trying the ~x86 version of Wine. It'll probably run more things than the current "stable" version.
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I will just continue this, since I have made absolutely no progress whatsoever in the intervening months (in fact, I think I have gone backwards).

Trying to configure drives, I get (in the configuration program):

Code:

Failed to connect to the mount manager, the drive configuration cannot be edited.

I also get at the console:

Code:

fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"MountMgr" failed to start: 2
err:winecfg:open_mountmgr failed to open mount manager err 2
err:winecfg:open_mountmgr failed to open mount manager err 2

I have searched for this, and didn't find much beyond "wipe out the wine directory and reinstall" (which I have done several times with identical results).

Actually tried to install a program, but that gave me:

Code:

fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"MountMgr" failed to start: 2
wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\path\to\someprogram.exe.

I know the .exe file is good - it works fine on an actual windoze installation.

So far, wine still looks like a cruel joke to me - something that has consumed countless hours of my time with no benefit whatsoever.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine works amazingly well for me. There are several possible reasons why it doesn't for you:
a) The programme you want to install doesn't run in wine; check the appdb over at www.winehq.org
b) Something's wrong with your system in general (seeing that you have trouble with mounting some stuff)
c) The compile options for Wine are wrong/ insufficient. Please post the output of emerge -pv wine.

Maybe you're just unlucky with the choice of programmes you want to run. I myself am happily running all the Windows programmes I want, i.e. Diablo I, II, III, Civ IV and V, Digibib, Dungeon Keeper II and some others. I gather none of the .exe giving you trouble are DOS executables? If they are, try DosBox.
Now it's time for the harvest
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon, did you build Wine with the udisks USE flag enabled? Try flipping it and see if that makes any difference.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: