View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: (SOLVED) Possible Cairo Dock bug? Reply with quote

I installed x11-misc/cairo-dock today from the Sabayon overlay. I also installed x11-plugins/cairo-dock-plugins from the same overlay. The program appears to have installed correctly, however it can't find the plugins folder. It appears to be looking for something in 'lib64/cairo-dock'. The leading slash mark isn't present in the directory name that was in the error, leading me to believe that there was a typo in the program. Although, I'm more apt to believe that I am more at fault for whatever is amiss here.

Output when running "cairo-dock -c" from the terminal:
Code:

============================================================================
   Cairo-Dock version : 3.0.2
   Compiled date      : Dec  8 2012 08:56:27
   Built with GTK     : 3.4
   Running with OpenGL: 0
 ============================================================================

warning : (/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/cairo-dock-3.0.2/work/cairo-dock-3.0.2/src/cairo-dock.c:main:571)
  Error opening directory 'lib64/cairo-dock': No such file or directory
  no module will be available

And then the graphical error looks identical to the one in this picture:
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/attachments/linux-programming/11702d1338697970-cairo-dock-issue-11.jpg

I typically try to solve this type of thing myself, but at this point it's beyond me. I tried linking /lib/cairo-dock to /lib64/cairo-dock by the way, but no dice. Also the /var/tmp/yadayadayada working directory doesn't appear to exist for cairo-dock. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by TheFunk on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With sabbayon's ebuild, your pwd must be /usr when you launch the docks.

BTW, warning : sabbayon's ebuild is faulty. It has critical problems in terms of hidden dependencies and, if I remember correctly, exhibits a major security warning at the end of the build.

I am trying to make my ebuilds for cairo-docks-3.1.2 make their way onto sunrise... but... It is a bit... hmmm... difficult.
I'll post them on glx-docks forum if I cannot succeed.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! It worked! Thanks, I tried the Quarks ebuild and it was doing the same thing, so I guess it has to launch from /usr as well. I didn't get a security warning, but even so, I haven't had time to configure iptables yet, so I 'll probably wait on your build to start using the dock, just to be safe. I knew I wasn't crazy!

Also for anyone else in a similar situation, don't run the dock without OpenGL if you use Compiz as a standalone manager, your window decorations will disappear and you will no longer be able to move or resize windows. CCSM will not help you as she is a cruel mistress who just wants to watch the world burn.
Quarky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added an updated version of cairo-dock-3.1.2 incl. the plugins to my overlay at http://www.startux.de/gitweb/quarks.git

It solved the lib64 /usr issue on one of my machines ;)

Give it try!
TheFunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I gave it a go, but alas my system didn't like it as much as yours. It ran for a few moments without a problem, but then it added a black background directly behind the dock, and a moment later my X server crashed. I made a short script to run your version from /usr on startup though, and it appears to be working fine that way. One of these days I'll actually know enough about programming to be able to help out. I just need to dive into these books I've got sitting around.

Preemptive edit: running "cairo-dock -o 1> infofile 2> errorfile" seems to be a working solution...

The errorfile appears empty, which is good. The infofile contains just a line about gvfs not being present on dbus (not worried about it) and system monitor being broken (also not worried about it).

Edit: And here I thought I wouldn't have to edit this post. After fixing those two problems, which were specific to my system, the dock now works fine from any directory. Thank you Quarky!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: