View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Turing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Annoying Login Confirmation in KDM [Solved] Reply with quote

I am using KDM 4.9.3. Since a few days (I don't know what I have changed) I get the following confirmation message after providing login information and pressing the enter button.

This screenshot
shows a dialog box with an "ok" button and the following label
Quote:

matthias wird angemeldet
Last login: Sun Nov 25 11:59:32 CET 2012 on 0

matthias is my user account, wird angemeldet is German and means is logging in

I do not want this login confirmation. It is annoying, I always have to press the "ok" button.
I do not know why the confirmation message is partly in German, I usually pick English to obtain searchable error messages.
The confirmation message appears independently of the window manager that I select.
The confirmation message does not appear if I create a fresh user.

I was not yet able to find out which configuration file is responsible for this confirmation message. Do you have an idea?

Last edited by Alan Turing on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you set your default locales for the system with eselect? I think you can setup Kdm from the Kde system configuration graphical interface. There's probably a variable written in a configuration file of Kde that display this message. I think the best way is to try to deactivate it using the Kde gui. If it is not possible, you have to make a search in your home directory to find what is responsible of the message display. It can be in the ~/.config or ~/.kde directory or elsewhere.
Alan Turing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying Login Confirmation Reply with quote

Thanks. I solved the language problem. German was the language of root in the kdm config.

The problem with the annoying message remains. I have not found anything related in kdm section of systemsettings (which is the KDE configuration graphical interface).

Alan Turing wrote:

The confirmation message does not appear if I create a fresh user.

I think this was a mistake. I again created a fresh user, this time the message appeared.

Furthermore:
I installed gdm. While using gdm this message does not appear.
I searched for kdm configuration files in the home directory of root but found none.
It seems that the behaviour of kdm is determined by the files in /usr/share/config/kdm and these files are updated when I configure kdm via systemsettings.
I deinstalled kdm, deleted remaining files in /usr/share/config/kdm and reinstalled kdm.

The annoying message still appears.
ataraxia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that message is caused by having pam_lastlog in the session stack for kdm, and the change that caused it is new support for it being added to KDE, upstream.

As I don't have KDE installed here, I'm not sure how PAM is configured for it out of the box, but I'd expect there's a "kdm" module in /etc/pam.d/ which eventually includes system-login. I suggest you try removing the "session optional pam_lastlog.so" line from /etc/pam.d/system-login. Other entries in that file that are likely to make annoying output are pam_motd and pam_mail, so you could remove them also if pam_lastlog isn't the problem.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422495#c9
Alan Turing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

I suggest you try removing the "session optional pam_lastlog.so" line from /etc/pam.d/system-login.

Thank you! That worked for me. (And according to the bug report, I guess an update of pambase kdebase-pam also does)
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
I suggest you try removing the "session optional pam_lastlog.so" line from /etc/pam.d/system-login.
Brilliant, fixed it for me too.

If I wanted all that $@#&, I'd use Mess Windoze, FFS.

Please press [OK] to confirm that you have read this message.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this. VERY annoying dialog box that I am happy to get rid of.
ashdash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed here also. I had one machine that displayed the "Last Logged In" dialogue box and one that didn't. Once I knew where to look I found this entry in /etc/pam.d/system-login on the machine that didn't display the dialogue:

session optional pam_lastlog.so silent

So "silent" will turn the dialogue off.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: