Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nszeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulj wrote:
In terms of what you have found with unplugging the keyboard and mouse - are these devices both plugged in and turned on when you normally start the computer?

Yes, and they have been like that for a while. I just rebooted my machine and the mouse has stopped working again. Doing what I described again got both working again.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@paulj: in regard of 15-keyboard.conf - 'MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"' should be there too.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am really not sure why you are seeing this. The dmesg output may give you a clue if you compare the output on booting with that after you do your unplugging trick.

It is of course possible that the problem is nothing to do with the server. For example, I appear to have installed the latest version of udev (171-r9) on 21st November, and again on 25th November, based on the output of
Code:
genlop udev

You could revert to the earlier version if this is the case with you?

Assuming your system is up to date, this file could have also been installed on your system. xorg-server was updated to 1.13.0-r1 on 17th November.

At this point, I would probably try the following (from one of the terminals eg - <ctrl>-<alt>-<F1>):

Code:
emerge -avC xorg-server
emerge -avC `qlist -I -C x11-drivers/`
emerge  -av --depclean

This should remove all the xorg files and the dependencies. I always have a look through the output of the depclean command to make sure nothing I want is being removed. For example, if you have the kernel installed but are running a lower kernel level, genclean will remove the source for you!

Check make.conf has the correct entries for xorg:

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"

I would then follow the gentoo xorg page again to re-install xorg. I would create the modular configuration as shown in my earlier post (and described in the gentoo xorg page), and probably only put the 20-graphics.conf and 10-evdev.conf files in to begin with.

After that I am running short of ideas, so hopefully someone else will be along with more information soon. In the meantime I will keep trying to find out the problem
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
@paulj: in regard of 15-keyboard.conf - 'MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"' should be there too.

Thanks! I'll get than in place.
nszeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's probably a bug or something. I will see if I find anything related to it and/or talk to some people in the irc channel. Meanwhile I might try what you said.
nszeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is still reading these, I got a more "permanent" fix by switching the USB ports to which the keyboard and mouse were connected. I seriously have no idea why that works but it does.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bazaar! I think that some udev rules may solve the problem, but it's outside my knowledge at the moment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: