Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Native Steam client and source game engine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
spacelike
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacelike wrote:
I'm trying to start steam on my x86 gentoo laptop and after going through all of the dependencies with the correct versions where needed from the wiki (and I do have the correct kernel options with /dev/shm mounted) it won't launch.

It is giving me the same errors that people posted here before:
Code:

      2503:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXCopySubBufferMESA (fatal)
      2503:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXBindTexImageEXT (fatal)
      2503:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXReleaseTexImageEXT (fatal)
      2503:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXSwapIntervalEXT (fatal)
      2503:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXCreateContextAttribsARB (fatal)


The solution was to install emul-linux-x86-sdl.

But that is for a 64-bit system, my laptop is 32-bit and I have libsdl installed which should be the equivalent right? and installing emul-linux-x86-sdl on my x86 machine won't do anything right?

What am I missing?


Checking again I think I missed some of my errors:

Code:

      3872:   /home/jason/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: gtk_widget_device_is_shadowed (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glBlitFramebufferEXT (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glBlitFramebufferANGLE (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGetQueryObjecti64v (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGetQueryObjectui64v (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGetTranslatedShaderSourceANGLE (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glQueryCounter (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleANGLE (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glTexStorage2DEXT (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGenFencesNV (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glDeleteFencesNV (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glSetFenceNV (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glTestFenceNV (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glFinishFenceNV (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glIsFenceNV (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGetFenceivNV (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXCopySubBufferMESA (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXBindTexImageEXT (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXReleaseTexImageEXT (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXSwapIntervalEXT (fatal)
      3872:   /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXCreateContextAttribsARB (fatal)


I wasn't using the desktop profile but to rule out the possibility that I had some strange USE flag problem I switched to the desktop profile and re-emerged world. It didn't help.

It seems odd to me that some of those undefined symbols have an "NV" in them... Does that stand for NVidia? Because I am on intel graphics, this seems strange.

[EDIT]Is it possible that steam simply won't work on my old intel graphics laptop? The card is i915 I believe.[/EDIT]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darklegion
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Nov 2004
Posts: 466

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacelike wrote:

I have TF2 working with sound on ALSA no pulse.

I simply do:
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
and then start steam, then lauch TF2 from the library and it has audio.



This works, thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 440
Location: Huntsville, AL.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious Sam 3 is on sale for $9.99 until Nov. 27th in Steam. This game can be downloaded on Linux and I have tested it on Gentoo amd64. It works great. I have made 3 purchases using the Linux native Steam and I have had no issues doing so.
_________________
Gentoo Gaming Videos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiitoo
l33t
l33t


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 744
Location: Here and Away Again

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

spacelike wrote:
[EDIT]Is it possible that steam simply won't work on my old intel graphics laptop? The card is i915 I believe.[/EDIT]

How old is old, really?

I have a laptop with 82852/855GM, which doesn't play at all with mesa-9. The classic driver doesn't work at all, even with glxgears nor with glxinfo, producing something like:

Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Serial number of failed request:  31
  Current serial number in output stream:  32

Tried mesa-8?

This works for me, although with classic, the graphics are glitched. They're fine with gallium, but that falls down to software rasterizer, so things are slow indeed.

I believe it's hit by this bug (probably mentioned in a previous post here already): Bug 53348 at bugs.freedesktop.org
_________________
Kind Regards,
~ The Noob Unlimited ~

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tieren
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
are you sure you did "env-update && source /etc/profile" after messing with gcc?


Absolutely certain! /etc/ld.so.conf.d aware of the new GCC, /etc/ld.so/conf was set to include the former. Command history shows me running both commands, though the reboot mentioned would have taken care of /etc/profile.

I discovered some other things (notably wine or anything else interacting with emul-linux packages) having similar issues. I ended up rebuilding world / depclean / revdep-rebuild / kernel update (among some other system maintenance I was a bit behind on), now it's getting past libstdc++ and complaining about fonts. :D :? :cry:

Time to start digging into the next issue, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to take this as instruction to not let portions of system maintenance go undone for so long. >_>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tieren
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
empanyc wrote:
On my system, steam segfaults after startup if emul-sdl is installed. I guess it's interfering with the sdl-lib provided by steam itself. If no one else can confirm this, I'll remove the block.

Ah, I see!

I do have app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-sdl-20121028 installed (have not tried without), and no segfaults here (can log in successfully and mess around with non-installing applications just as with my Mint-test, only without the graphical glitches other than the mouse cursor being flipped from left to right (or from right to left, whatever)).


Did you ever figure out what was causing the mouse cursor flip? I'm assuming it's something to do with emul-linux-x86-gtklibs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiitoo
l33t
l33t


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 744
Location: Here and Away Again

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Tieren wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
empanyc wrote:
On my system, steam segfaults after startup if emul-sdl is installed. I guess it's interfering with the sdl-lib provided by steam itself. If no one else can confirm this, I'll remove the block.

Ah, I see!

I do have app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-sdl-20121028 installed (have not tried without), and no segfaults here (can log in successfully and mess around with non-installing applications just as with my Mint-test, only without the graphical glitches other than the mouse cursor being flipped from left to right (or from right to left, whatever)).


Did you ever figure out what was causing the mouse cursor flip? I'm assuming it's something to do with emul-linux-x86-gtklibs.

Nay; I never looked into it at all.

However, I seem to remember reading something about it at the forums of steam-something. I believe it lead to the Arch forums. You might find the fix there. Right now I can not search for it, sorry...
_________________
Kind Regards,
~ The Noob Unlimited ~

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hasufell
Developer
Developer


Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Tieren wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
empanyc wrote:
On my system, steam segfaults after startup if emul-sdl is installed. I guess it's interfering with the sdl-lib provided by steam itself. If no one else can confirm this, I'll remove the block.

Ah, I see!

I do have app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-sdl-20121028 installed (have not tried without), and no segfaults here (can log in successfully and mess around with non-installing applications just as with my Mint-test, only without the graphical glitches other than the mouse cursor being flipped from left to right (or from right to left, whatever)).


Did you ever figure out what was causing the mouse cursor flip? I'm assuming it's something to do with emul-linux-x86-gtklibs.

Nay; I never looked into it at all.

However, I seem to remember reading something about it at the forums of steam-something. I believe it lead to the Arch forums. You might find the fix there. Right now I can not search for it, sorry...

the cursor messup happens when you have the standard cursor and no cursor theme at all

see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Mouse_Cursor_Overwritten
Tieren wrote:
hasufell wrote:
are you sure you did "env-update && source /etc/profile" after messing with gcc?


Absolutely certain! /etc/ld.so.conf.d aware of the new GCC, /etc/ld.so/conf was set to include the former. Command history shows me running both commands, though the reboot mentioned would have taken care of /etc/profile.

I discovered some other things (notably wine or anything else interacting with emul-linux packages) having similar issues. I ended up rebuilding world / depclean / revdep-rebuild / kernel update (among some other system maintenance I was a bit behind on), now it's getting past libstdc++ and complaining about fonts. :D :? :cry:

Time to start digging into the next issue, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to take this as instruction to not let portions of system maintenance go undone for so long. >_>

try https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam#Fonts

I don't know if it needs to be this particular font, but maybe at least one 100dpi font.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spacelike
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the new steam update break steam for any other Gentoo users? It seems to be just a problem I'm experiencing.

I posted on the team forum about it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/846938350635160079/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 440
Location: Huntsville, AL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still working great for me. On a side note, I have seen reports of Steam crashing a lot or being generally unstable. All this time I have been running it in Gentoo, and using it a lot, it has not crashed a single time.
_________________
Gentoo Gaming Videos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hasufell
Developer
Developer


Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacelike wrote:
Did the new steam update break steam for any other Gentoo users? It seems to be just a problem I'm experiencing.

I posted on the team forum about it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/846938350635160079/

based on this http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/1/882966056254927824/ thread it seems to be solved for some users by simply reinstalling it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spacelike
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
spacelike wrote:
Did the new steam update break steam for any other Gentoo users? It seems to be just a problem I'm experiencing.

I posted on the team forum about it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/846938350635160079/

based on this http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/1/882966056254927824/ thread it seems to be solved for some users by simply reinstalling it


I tried reinstalling. I even tried installing it into the proper root directories like it is on Ubuntu, still the same problems.

[EDIT]
it should just be these files that I have to remove to reinstall right?:
~/Steam
~/.steam
~/.steampid
~/.steampath

did I miss any?
[/EDIT]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spacelike
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if I try to install from the NEW bin_steam.sh script (copied the script then deleted all steam files then used the script to install) I get this error:

Couldn't start bootstrap and couldn't reinstall from /usr/lib/steam/bootstraplinux_ubuntu12_32.tar.xz. Please contact technical support.

That is why I decided to install all the files like they are on an ubuntu system. By putting the install script at /usr/bin/steam and the bootstrapper at /usr/lib/steam
etc...

and that didn't work either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverPenguin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same Error as you and have tried reinstalling too(user and root)
I deleted all Steam related Folders and Files(Steam.deb too) and reinstalled it completely but it changes nothing
It don't looks like a Driver bug because I use the AMD Driver(tried the initial 12.11 and the Beta8) and you the NVidia Driver

PS:Sorry for my bad English :?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hasufell
Developer
Developer


Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that serious sam 3 doesn't start anymore due to missing libpci.so.3

that one is not included in any emul-linux* package as it seems, so I emerged sys-apps/pciutils in a 32bit chroot and copied those file over. You could probably use multilib-portage too, but that seems to require re-emerging entire @world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spacelike
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
I noticed that serious sam 3 doesn't start anymore due to missing libpci.so.3

that one is not included in any emul-linux* package as it seems, so I emerged sys-apps/pciutils in a 32bit chroot and copied those file over. You could probably use multilib-portage too, but that seems to require re-emerging entire @world.


But the strange thing is if I do LD_DEBUG=libs I don't notice anything strange. It tries calling a bunch of libraries and there are no (fatal)'s and there are no errors...

I've tried a few things and no matter what the only real "errors" I see is that Assertion Failed: failed to intiialize update status ui, or create initial window and also the CrashID=

The only other thing I can think to say is that the assertion fail happens right after a call to this library:
27766: trying file=/usr/lib32/libselinux.so.1

and right before
Code:
success = yes
response:  CrashID=bp-8e86f43d-701d-4f07-b6aa-022a92121128

it tries to call:
5842: calling init: /lib32/libnss_dns.so.2


Last edited by spacelike on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverPenguin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you start the Steam Binary directly this Error is the only output
There were no X Errors so its very hard to locate the Problem
Anybody know if Steam works on a Gentoo 32bit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 440
Location: Huntsville, AL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
I noticed that serious sam 3 doesn't start anymore due to missing libpci.so.3


Just hitting cancel on the error dialog makes the game load despite this apparently missing library.
_________________
Gentoo Gaming Videos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koradji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 76
Location: Townsville, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: what i did: Reply with quote

I just started trying this today, i don't have a beta account.

The steam overlay https://github.com/anyc/steam-overlay wasn't working for me, steam.deb is the wrong size, the patch didn't apply after fixing the manifest, or again after manually editing and making a new patch. I couldnt' see how to fix it, and i'm certainly no expert.

Instead
I extracted steam.deb into $HOME/Downloads/Games/Steam
Code:
$dpkg -x steam.deb


I manually edited $HOME/Downloads/Games/Steam/usr/bin/steam to
a) remove all the debian specific stuff, by hand apply the patch at https://github.com/anyc/steam-overlay/blob/master/games-util/steam-installer/files/remove-ubuntu-specifics.patch
b) tell the installer where the files are hiding, changing the relevant line to
Code:
LAUNCHSTEAMBOOTSTRAPFILE="$HOME/Downloads/Games/Steam/usr/lib/$STEAMPACKAGE/bootstraplinux_$LAUNCHSTEAMPLATFORM.tar.xz"

c) change the install path from $HOME/.local because hidden files annoy me.
Code:
STEAM_DATA_HOME=${XDG_DATA_HOME:-$HOME/Steam}


Steam rewrites this file even when it doesn't change it, i'll make a patch next time, if only to read what i did next time i need to update.

Code:
$ cd $HOME/Downloads/Games/Steam
$./steam


wait for it to install, log in and save password, get unauthorised window. kill it
find out it's installed in ~/Steam/Steam

Code:
$cd ~/Steam/Steam
$./steam.sh steam://open/friends

Gets me to the friends window.
Right-clicking a friend and looking at their profile opens the main steam window, letting me access the library.
World of Goo and Oil Rush are listed there. None of the other games i play in wine are listed.
I started the download of World of Goo
I visited the store and bought Dungeons of Dredmoor. I didn't see how to filter for linux games, steam seemed to still want to tell me about windows ones.

Messaging friends works.
A quick test of World of Goo, it works fine, but lacks any graphics/sound settings options.
Dungeons of Dredmoor works, but i wish it had an ascii graphics option.
It was nice that no root access was needed.

What didn't work:
I usually use windowmaker, and i can't move steam windows or click the steam drop down menus. The menus work if i start a second X session with no window manager, which i'm well accostomed to doing anyway.
I tried changing the beta status setting, since i was set to the big picture beta in my windows install. This made the game try to 'update' the client which failed. I reinstalled. I suspect any normal updates will also fail, needing a re-install.

To Do:
Find a different window manager. *sigh*
Wait until it's out of Beta. *sigh*
Use shorter directory paths for less typing.

All in all, getting steam working was the most fun computer game i've played in ages.
_________________
koradji login: emerge nvidia-drivers
password: ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spacelike
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the problems I was having yesterday, I didn't change anything this morning and decided to just run it and hope for the best. It worked.
Is it working now for the other two of you who were having the same problem?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverPenguin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the last Update yesterday Steam working now.
Thats what I call fast support from Valve^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cynede
Developer
Developer


Joined: 30 Nov 2012
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just patched steam-overlay for upstream changes:

Pull request here: https://github.com/anyc/steam-overlay/pull/11
_________________
GitHub
Twitter
Last.fm

“Pain is inevitable Suffering is optional” Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 440
Location: Huntsville, AL.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: what i did: Reply with quote

Koradji wrote:
Code:
$cd ~/Steam/Steam
$./steam.sh steam://open/friends

Gets me to the friends window.
Right-clicking a friend and looking at their profile opens the main steam window, letting me access the library.
World of Goo and Oil Rush are listed there. None of the other games i play in wine are listed.
I started the download of World of Goo
I visited the store and bought Dungeons of Dredmoor. I didn't see how to filter for linux games, steam seemed to still want to tell me about windows ones.


If you would like Steam to go straight into your library start it like this:

Code:
steam steam://nav/games


Then you don't have to go through a friends profile to get to the main window.
_________________
Gentoo Gaming Videos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnnyBubonic
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynede wrote:
Just patched steam-overlay for upstream changes:

Pull request here: https://github.com/anyc/steam-overlay/pull/11


any thought of either hosting your own overlay and getting it registered in layman or, and this might be better, getting the ebuild incorporated into the sunrise overlay? that might get more people testing it for you and get it into portage faster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koradji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 76
Location: Townsville, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: what i did: Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:

Code:
steam steam://nav/games

Then you don't have to go through a friends profile to get to the main window.


Thanks :)

I wonder how many surprise extra beta testers there are at the moment?
_________________
koradji login: emerge nvidia-drivers
password: ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum