Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
how to specify monitor layout with drm console ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: how to specify monitor layout with drm console ? Reply with quote

Hi,

After the recent X upgrade I realized that radeonfb conflicts with drm/radeon and I have to drop radeonfb in order to use X (the new x.org I mean).
Q1: am I right about drm/radeon and radeonfb being incompatible ?

Q2: I have an old laptop in a docking station. For some reason, display layout is autodetected incorrectly (it was always like that), but so far, I was able to give radenfb.monitor_layout=NONE, TMDS to get a working screen. Now, with the drm stuff, how can I do that ?

thx,
Tiv
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed radeonfb is incompatible to modern X and KMS. Even before it stopped working entirely, radeonfb often caused graphics corruption or loss of acceleration.

"display layout is autodetected incorrectly" might be solved by passing the video=... kernel parameter. See http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting near the bottom (applies to radeon too). To find out the correct output names, look in /sys/class/drm/card0. Else you'll have to provide more details about the problem.
tiv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks, I have learned a lot by reading that - however it seems my system does not honor the video= arguments.
Actually it's not even clear to me WHO should honor that (which module should parse it and take action).

according to dmesg, drm code seems work, it identifies all the card outputs, but (this is the old problem) it tries to force the LCD panel's mode settings to the external monitor - and that's what the problem is.

thx,
T.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start by passing only a resolution, e.g. video=1024x768 (or whatever is your desired resolution).

If that works, add the output name, e.g. video=DVI-I-1:1024x768 and be aware that kernel and xrandr use different names for the outputs.
tiv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] how to specify monitor layout with drm console ? Reply with quote

I had to compile it into the kernel, and now it works.
If drm and fb are compiled as modules, apparently the video= parameter is ignored.

thanks for your help!
T.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] how to specify monitor layout with drm console Reply with quote

tiv wrote:
I had to compile it into the kernel, and now it works.
If drm and fb are compiled as modules, apparently the video= parameter is ignored.

thanks for your help!
T.

:roll: Well, duh...
If that's compiled as modules, you pass it via /etc/conf.d/modules.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: