View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] alternative driver to "nouveau" Reply with quote

After recent xorg-upgrade I get a blank screen.
xdm.log only gives me:
Code:
nouveau:    0x00000000
nouveau:    0x00fffff0
xdm info (pid 3102): Shutting down
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
      after 176 requests (169 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xdm info (pid 3102): display :0 is being disabled
nouveau: kernel rejected pushbuf: Invalid argument
nouveau: ch3: krec 0 pushes 1 bufs 1 relocs 0
nouveau: ch3: buf 00000000 0000000b 00000006 00000006 00000000
nouveau: ch3: psh 00000000 00000002b0 00000002c4

What are alternative drives are there to "nouveau"?

Last edited by Joseph_sys on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the closed-source, proprietary nVidia driver ;)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the "nv" driver, which is nVidia's official open source driver.
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

I have "nouveau" driver build into kernel, but I don't see there "nv" driver?
Is "nv" still develop? I can not seem to find instruction on how to use "nv" on Gentoo.
I can find "nvidia" or "nouveau" but not "nv"
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:
Ant P. wrote:

Is "nv" still develop? I can not seem to find instruction on how to use "nv" on Gentoo.

nv is an xorg driver, you wont find it in the kernel.
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:
Joseph_sys wrote:
Ant P. wrote:

nv is an xorg driver, you wont find it in the kernel.

I see, so I suppose to only change in make.conf
VIDEO_CARDS="nv"
I rebuild the xorg-server and drivers but it did not change anything, still blank screen.
Do I have to remove "nouveau" from the kernel?
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:

in general, yes
and there is more to nv than just building xf86-video-nv (the kernel has to be set up correctly - i forget the settings offhand)

though id be somewhat interested in figuring out what's broken/breaking with nouveau
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
Joseph_sys wrote:

in general, yes
and there is more to nv than just building xf86-video-nv (the kernel has to be set up correctly - i forget the settings offhand)

though id be somewhat interested in figuring out what's broken/breaking with nouveau

I would be curious to know it as well, what/who broke the "nouveau" I filed a bug but it might take them a while to figure it out.
Sometimes I have an impression that Gentoo doesn't have a good quality products testing procedures. I wasted more then one day on this and wasn't able to solve it, so I switched to "nvidia".
Problem like this sometimes make me think if life with Windows wouldn't be easier.

Solution to long lasting Linux box might to to install it and forget the upgrades as they tend to break the system at least on Gentoo.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:
I would be curious to know it as well, what/who broke the "nouveau" I filed a bug but it might take them a while to figure it out.
Sometimes I have an impression that Gentoo doesn't have a good quality products testing procedures. I wasted more then one day on this and wasn't able to solve it, so I switched to "nvidia".
Problem like this sometimes make me think if life with Windows wouldn't be easier.

Solution to long lasting Linux box might to to install it and forget the upgrades as they tend to break the system at least on Gentoo.

Actually the problem is that you're throwing money at a well known FOSS-hostile hardware company and then complaining about the volunteer-run OS you get for free not being able to run said broken hardware properly, but keep telling yourself it's everyone here's fault if it makes you feel better.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
FOSS-hostile hardware company

How exactly are they "hostile"? They simply don't have an open source strategy for Geforce cards (Tegra is a different matter). That's it. Their position is "we will neither help nor hinder nouveau development". I don't see any hostility in that, apathy at most.

Also, it's not like the intel driver is always flawless, there's plenty of "updating to kernel X gives me a black screen on my intel graphics" posts around. Software, especially software for driving complex hardware such as graphics, has bugs. That's all there is to it, no hostility.
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Joseph_sys wrote:

Actually the problem is that you're throwing money at a well known FOSS-hostile hardware company and then complaining about the volunteer-run OS you get for free not being able to run said broken hardware properly, but keep telling yourself it's everyone here's fault if it makes you feel better.

What I'm trying too imply is that we are releasing (stabilizing) those updates too fast without proofing it at all.
If you look through the forum you will notice I'm not the only one caught off guard by this bug.

I don't mind to volunteer as a tester for Gentoo community for the benefit of all, if they ask me to.
I can provide them with the hardware I have.
There must be a better approach to testing the package not just stabilizing it blindly and causing problems.
bobtongue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Trouble with nouveau Reply with quote

I also have a problem with the nouveau driver after upgrading xorg server. Xorg pukes on startup. Everything was working fine before the upgrade but after upgrading I get the following error in my Xorg log:

[ 4801.336] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Loaded DRI module
[ 4801.402] (EE) NOUVEAU(0): [drm] failed to set drm interface version.
[ 4801.402] (EE) NOUVEAU(0): [drm] error opening the drm
[ 4801.402] (EE) NOUVEAU(0): 818:
[ 4801.402] (II) UnloadModule: "nouveau"

Then I get the dreaded no screens found........

I recompiled my xorg drivers after the upgrade so that is not the issue. It would appear that the nouveau driver has a problem with the new version of Xorg server.

The X server seems to be working fine and I get a screen remotely with tigervnc, just can't get a local desktop.

Any ideas?
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with nouveau Reply with quote

I suggest you switch to "nvidia" as I did. I filed a bug with Gentoo but when and if it is going to be fixed, nobody knows.
Just dump that noverau and go with "nvidia". You have to remove "nouveau" from the kernel first.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
Ant P. wrote:
FOSS-hostile hardware company

How exactly are they "hostile"? They simply don't have an open source strategy for Geforce cards (Tegra is a different matter). That's it. Their position is "we will neither help nor hinder nouveau development". I don't see any hostility in that, apathy at most.

The drivers for most of their "nforce" motherboards also had to be reverse-engineered. Things like AC97/HDA sound, and ethernet. There's no trade secrets in that kind of hardware.
bobtongue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with nouveau Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:
I suggest you switch to "nvidia" as I did. I filed a bug with Gentoo but when and if it is going to be fixed, nobody knows.
Just dump that noverau and go with "nvidia". You have to remove "nouveau" from the kernel first.

I **was** going to try that. But when I did an emerge -p nvidia-drivers to see if it was possible, it wanted to downgrade xorg server back to 1.12. I am running an older geforce4 card. I think I should have waited to upgrade X for a while, but I wanted to upgrade tigervnc and it required X 1.13. Now it looks like something has to go.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody in this thread has made mention of the kernel version they are using.

Nouveau is working fine here (1.04), with xorg 1.13, and gentoo-sources 3.6.6, as well as 3.7-rcX

Could well be that you need a sufficiently new kernel to work with newer versions of the nouveau X driver.
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with nouveau Reply with quote

Something is blocking it. Post the output of: emerge -p x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
Do you have in your make.conf:
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
bobtongue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with nouveau Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:
Something is blocking it. Post the output of: emerge -p x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
Do you have in your make.conf:
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

I am blocking it. LOL. I had to add >=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-97.00 to my package mask to get the proper driver for the older nvidia card. when I do emerge -p x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers I get this:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild UD ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.4 [1.13.0-r1]
[ebuild N ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.23 USE="-acpi -custom-cflags -gtk (-multilib)"

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

x11-base/xorg-server:0

(x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.0-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
=x11-base/xorg-server-1.13* required by (net-misc/tigervnc-1.2.0::gentoo, installed)

(x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
<x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.99 required by (x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.23::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

I haven't changed my make.conf yet. I will if I decide to install it. But I haven't decided what to do yet.
bobtongue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
Nobody in this thread has made mention of the kernel version they are using.

Nouveau is working fine here (1.04), with xorg 1.13, and gentoo-sources 3.6.6, as well as 3.7-rcX

Could well be that you need a sufficiently new kernel to work with newer versions of the nouveau X driver.

I was thinking that I should try that next. I am using kernel version 2.6.35-gentoo-r12. Perhaps it is time to move up to version 3. Until now everything has worked fine so no reason to upgrade. Looks like it's time now.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
The drivers for most of their "nforce" motherboards also had to be reverse-engineered. Things like AC97/HDA sound, and ethernet. There's no trade secrets in that kind of hardware.

That's ancient history. It's silly to bring that up now. After they saw the silliness of their ways, Nvidia themselves contributed to the forcedeth driver.

Nowadays, Nvidia is working on an open-source Tegra driver. So like I said, there's no hostility whatsoever. That the Geforce driver remains closed has to do with the codebase being oooooold, and being covered by contracts and NDAs with third parties. So even if Nvidia wanted to do something about it, they can't. Tegra is proof of that - it's a new design, so the stuff that's preventing the release of docs and/or code regarding Geforce doesn't apply, hence open source Tegra drivers.
wcg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nouveau driver in kernel 3.5.7 is working fine here, with
a geforce GE6150se (nforce 430 gpu) and with a
PNY PCIe-x16 card with an nvidia g86 chip. nvidia-drivers
is not installed, no framebuffer drivers are enabled
in the kernel except the nouveau internal one (framebuffer
functions that do not depend on a particular framebuffer
driver are enabled). xorg-server-1.13.0-r1,
xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.4.

My nouveau and pci drivers are built-in, not modules, and
I pass this on the kernel command line in grub.conf:
Code:

video=640x480-8@75

(If you have more than one video output, you may need
to figure out the "connector" syntax for the one that you
want to use. I only have one hooked up, the kernel finds
it without specifiying it. The monitor supports 640x480
with 8-bit color at 75hz in text mode. X changes the video
mode when it starts up to whatever I have it configured with
in the desktop environment.)
bobtongue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Thanks Loads Reply with quote

I just finished upgrading the kernel to 3.5.7. It was pretty painless, and when I rebooted, everything worked like a charm. I guess it really was time to upgrade the kernel. Thanks for the help and all the suggestions. This is why I love working with Gentoo, help is always just a forum post away. Thanks again my fellow nerds :D
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Solved my problem too Reply with quote

I have to agree. I was very frustrated after the recent xorg-server and drivers upgrade, but I realized that I had been dragging my feet on moving away from my very stable 2.6.34-r12 Gentoo Sources installation. I upgraded to 3.5.7 and X started flawlessly.
amd64/17.1/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: