Gentoo in the enterprise
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slugggerzzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Gentoo in the enterprise Reply with quote

Does anyone run Gentoo in there business ?

Is so what for ?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slugggerzzz,

Lots of people do. Some don't want it made public, some are Gentoo sponsors (look at the side bar ads).
There have even been gentoo.org front page news items about Gentoo in the enterprise.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it on all my servers that have to be Linux and cannot run on BSD for software reasons.

It works great and hardened just makes that better.

Before anyone pipes up with "BSD can run anything Linux can", It really cant.

I know the system is secure with gentoo and I only build what I need, compiling takes no time at all and it just works for me.

I prefer BSD over Linux/Gentoo for servers as I personally think it performs alot better and PF works alot easier. Having said that both my Gentoo and Free/OpenBSD servers are all PCI-DSS class 1.

So theres no reason in my mind, why I would not use Gentoo when using Gentoo comercially.
ryao
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crooksey wrote:
I use it on all my servers that have to be Linux and cannot run on BSD for software reasons.

I know the system is secure with gentoo and I only build what I need, compiling takes no time at all and it just works for me.

I prefer BSD over Linux/Gentoo for servers as I personally think it performs alot better and PF works alot easier. Having said that both my Gentoo and Free/OpenBSD servers are all PCI-DSS class 1.

So theres no reason in my mind, why I would not use Gentoo when using Gentoo comercially.

Gentoo can be either Linux or FreeBSD, so the fact that you are using Gentoo does not mean that you are using Linux.
deno
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardened is nice and sexy, but how do you see the security of gentoo repositories (mirrors)?

Anything positive happened in the mean time regarding problems mentioned here?

You remember Unreal IRC server infected with backdoor?
Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryao wrote:
Crooksey wrote:

Gentoo can be either Linux or FreeBSD, so the fact that you are using Gentoo does not mean that you are using Linux.

Im sorry, but you mean portage can be used on either Gentoo or FreeBSD?

Gentoo Linux is called "Gentoo Linux" on the homepage because its a linux system, with linux libs and a Linux kernel.

FreeBSD is BSD because of its libs and kernel.

Some IBM packages will only run on a Linux system and wont run on FreeBSD with compat linux, so thats why I use Linux (Gentoo) when I cant use FreeBSD due to a lack of IBM support for freeBSD
jdhore
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo in the enterprise Reply with quote

slugggerzzz wrote:

Is so what for ?

I'd say Gentoo works well for the enterprise given it's used by NASDAQ (Or at least was, as of about a year ago, according to this article: http://www.itworld.com/open-source/193823/how-linux-mastered-wall-street?page=0,2 )

Given that NASDAQ is the 2nd largest stock exchange in the world, i'd say Gentoo works damn well in the enterprise since there isn't any much bigger test for it than this.
forrestfunk81
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crooksey wrote:

Im sorry, but you mean portage can be used on either Gentoo or FreeBSD?

Gentoo Linux is called "Gentoo Linux" on the homepage because its a linux system, with linux libs and a Linux kernel.

FreeBSD is BSD because of its libs and kernel.

Some IBM packages will only run on a Linux system and wont run on FreeBSD with compat linux, so thats why I use Linux (Gentoo) when I cant use FreeBSD due to a lack of IBM support for freeBSD

He meant the Gentoo/FreeBSD Project.
Quote:
Gentoo/FreeBSD (or Gentoo/FBSD, or G/FBSD) is an effort to create a complete FreeBSD-based Gentoo system, sharing the complete administration facilities of Gentoo with the reliability of the FreeBSD kernel and userland.

Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, so what I was saying was his statement was incorrect.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we use it heavily at my work
for everything except systems where we're installing one of our binary RPM's - for these systems it's mostly meaningless what distro we use
or, for systems where the VPS providers (we use craptons of VPS's) do not offer Gentoo and/or have no way to install your own distro

but for everything else, by my choice (I get to make those decisions!), we use Gentoo.

A chunk of web servers
A chunk of database servers
A chunk of load balancers
A chunk of DNS servers
Our internal mail server
Our VPN's

heaps of stuff. I need the granular level of control Gentoo gives us. Bonus points? This is great for my job security.

We are a SaaS vendor, with many many users. Not saying the company name, largely as I don't want it being associated with my occasionally dickish behaviour on the forums :)

But my paycheck depends on Gentoo being"enterprise ready". And it is. So I get my paycheck.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo in the enterprise Reply with quote

slugggerzzz wrote:
My company laptop is set up using Gentoo with latest geek-sources (init6 overlay), a heavily mixed tree (478 entries in /etc/portage/package.keywords) and 10 overlays using layman.

My company desktop uses Gentoo with almost stable-only tree (only a view items unkeyworded) and very few overlays (init6 + sunrise).

The laptop is used for all the "office" stuff, the desktop is a development machine.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a research scientist. I run Gentoo on my laptop and my calculation server.

Gentoo is the only Linux platform I know of where I can precisely control my toolchain (necessary for some research software to work) while still getting the latest greatest software and security updates.

To reduce headaches I mostly use stable software, and only upgrade when a package disappears from the Portage tree or I explicitly want the latest version for some features.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it on on VMware. I have a hardened vm template that can be used for just about any purpose. DNS, NFS, LAMP, network testing, network monitoring, router for virtual test environments that I dont want visible on my main network.

I also have a hosted xen server I use to convert portage to git so I can get live syncs behind my firewall via https.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: