Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can I install applications from a livedvd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jusong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Can I install applications from a livedvd? Reply with quote

Hi!
I have installed gentoo by stage3. and now I have a livedvd, it include a lot of applications, can I install those applications on my gentoo from the livedvd ? :?:
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

short answer is no. See "Working with Gentoo" and "Working with portage" in the handbook for a discussion of application installation.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jusong,

DONAHUE has provided the short answer. The longer answer is maybe but you won't really want to.
You can use the quickpkg tool to make binary tarball of installed packages, move them to your install and use emerge -K to install from the binaries.
However, these binaries won't match your CFLAGS, nor will the match your USE flags.

It you think that installing binaries is a good idea, you are missing the point of Gentoo. Gentoo provides you with a toolkit to build your own Linux install your way.
When you use binaries, you are giving up that. Still, Gentoo is about choice, you choose.

Oh, a word of warning, the LiveDVD is about 6 months old now so if you use its binaries, your Gentoo will be about 6 months old too.
It will be hard work but very educational getting that up to date. A 'follow the handbook' install will be a faster route to a current state..

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Jusong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Jusong,

DONAHUE has provided the short answer. The longer answer is maybe but you won't really want to.
You can use the quickpkg tool to make binary tarball of installed packages, move them to your install and use emerge -K to install from the binaries.
However, these binaries won't match your CFLAGS, nor will the match your USE flags.

It you think that installing binaries is a good idea, you are missing the point of Gentoo. Gentoo provides you with a toolkit to build your own Linux install your way.
When you use binaries, you are giving up that. Still, Gentoo is about choice, you choose.

Oh, a word of warning, the LiveDVD is about 6 months old now so if you use its binaries, your Gentoo will be about 6 months old too.
It will be hard work but very educational getting that up to date. A 'follow the handbook' install will be a faster route to a current state..

Thank you for your careful answer, you awoke me, I should build myself linux.
In addition,about quickpkg, I have read emerge's man page, and there is an annotation of -K "All the binary packages must be available at the time of dependency calculation or emerge will simply abort.", that's means I have to use the quickpkg tool to make all binarys that be dependtent。it's a little ttrouble. :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: