View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: [Newbie] Gnome3 from ~arch - USE flags? Reply with quote

Hello
I'm very new to Gentoo and I would like to get gnome3, as I really love it, even though it's only in ~arch and not very stable yet.

The problem is, I don't really know how and I can't find any informations about it which are not for users, which already know Gentoo quite well.

What I did so far:

-ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
-eselect profile set 4
-emerge -e world

Now, I wanted to emerge gnome-base/gnome (I hope it's right?), but he tells me he needs some USE Flags (mesa-9.0 xa and libkms for libdrm)

Can anyone help me?
Thanks a lot!
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but we will need more information.

Would I be correct in assuming that you set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf and that profile 4 is desktop/gnome?
The emerge -e world was a bit excessive. emerge -uND world would have updated the important packages, but emerge -e should have done the trick as well.

As for the errors you are getting with emerge, you'll need to post them. If you have X working you can simply post it. If you do not have X working yet because you are waiting for gnome3, then emerge wgetpaste and then run emerge -pv gnome | wgetpaste and post the URL that is returned. You may also want to consult the Handbook's section on use flags.

Also, the gnome includes everything gnome. There is another meta package gnome-light which includes a slightly smaller number of packages. Either one is fine.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
kevin22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi The Doctor,
Thanks a lot! I will try to provide more informations.

I just installed Gentoo and those steps which I wrote, were the first and only thing I did. So I have no gnome and no X installed yet.
I set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in /etc/make.conf and profile 4, I set by typing the command: "eselect profile set 4".

The errors I get are:

Quote:
The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware-12.0.2-r1, required by x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.13[video_cards_vmware], required by x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.0[xorg], required by x11-drivers/xf86-video-glint-1.2.8
>=x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.39 libkms

#required by x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware-12.0.2-r1, required by x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.13[video_cards_vmware], required by x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.0[xorg], required by x11-drivers/xf86-video-glint-1.28
>=media-libs/mesa-9.0 xa

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring CONFIG_PROTECT)

If there is a gnome-lite version, that is awesome. With FreeBSD, I also installed only gnome3-lite which was enough for me.

EDIT: God I'm so stupid. I used /etc/make.conf instead of /etc/portage/make.conf. I added ~amd64 there and made emerge -uND world now.
kevin22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, after adding ~amd64 to the correct make.conf and doing emerge -e uND, gnome-light is now emerging :)
Thanks a lot.

The question now is, what happened when I made emerge -e world with the unchanged /etc/portage/make.conf? It reinstalled like 350 packages.
Should I start from scratch or did nothing really happen?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I take it this is a virtual machine?

Anyway, This line
Quote:
>=x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.39 libkms
means that that you need to add libkms to the use flags for x11-libs/libdrm. There are 2 ways you can do this. You can set it globally in make.conf or on a per package basis in /etc/portage/package.use

The general guideline is that if one package uses it it should be in package.use. If many packages need it, it should go in make.conf. In this case, I would opt for package.use

Using nano or your favorite text editor create the file nano -w /etc/portage/package.use and then enter the following two lines:
Code:
x11-libs/libdrm libkms
media-libs/mesa xa

Once you have done that you are ready continue. You can use emerge -av xorg-server gnome-light to install X at the same as gnome. You may need to repeat the above procedure a few times, but it should go fairly smoothly.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
kevin22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a vm, right. Thanks a lot, I will revert to the snapshot of the freshly installed system and do what you told me.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin22 wrote:
ok, after adding ~amd64 to the correct make.conf and doing emerge -e uND, gnome-light is now emerging :)
Thanks a lot.

The question now is, what happened when I made emerge -e world with the unchanged /etc/portage/make.conf? It reinstalled like 350 packages.
Should I start from scratch or did nothing really happen?

The emerge -e world stands for "rebuild everything" and it literally is everything. You don't need to include the -e unless you want to rebuild every package. Its completely harmless to your computer, but it does take a long time.

For example emerge -uND world stands for update all packages with new versions, check installed versions for use flag changes and check the dependencies of dependencies

kevin22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some hours of compiling, gnome3 works fine on my vm and I can't wait to do the same on my notebook. Thanks a lot for your help again!

Now I really have to learn a lot about USE flags and portage as I really have problems understanding it...the handbook itself didn't really help.
For example, I don't see why I didn't have to add a single USE flag to install Gnome. When I used gentoo a few years ago, I gave up because those use flag were just driving me crazy., and I also don't see, where those USE flags were added when I used "eselect profile set 4"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: