View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pa1983
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: File manager for Openbox Reply with quote

I'm looking for a file manager suitable for Openbox with a GUI. Now I have tried Gentoo (the file manger) but beside being a bit designed like it wants to be a terminal app is has an annoying bug that I cant figure out. Fore some reason I cant rename files/folder all the time. Its not a permission issue that I know. It docent complain when you try to change the name but it will just go back to what ever the name was before. Some times it works and some times it takes a few attempts. Now to day it even crashed when I tried to change the name of a dir. Now my PC is rock solid, memtest86+ over night, 2+ passes, 1-2h 2 instances of intel linpack, 24h+ prime so its not a hardware issue because that part Im pretty good at.

So a while back I decided to give Xfe a go. Used it back in the day and I figured it would cover my needs. Sens I use a gentoo powered 28Tb file server for storage over ftp, samba (primary), nfs (secondary) to my other two gentoo boxes (Workstation and HTPC) runs SSD for OS only and uses the file server for pretty much anything that is not OS or apps.

I dont know but I suspect gentoo file manager dislikes samba but thats just a theory but sens all my personal files are there thats where I spend most of my time managing files. Most of the times I manage them over SSH with screens and mc (midnight commander) but at times I want to do it from my Workstation in a GUI when ever I might be sorting and cataloging stuff etc.

Problem I have with Xfe is the fact that every time I want to brows my Samba share (I basically share the servers mnt dir where drives are mounted in dirs like sda4,sdb1,sdc1 etc etc) its spins up all the sleeping drives one by one on the File server. I basically started using 25min to idle time before spool down on the servers last rebuild (new hard drives and controller). Saves quite a bit of power and reduces noise considerably with 13 drives and I have 4 Samsung F3EG and they hates even the slightest vibration. I wish I never bought them. Even with rubber suspension they dont like more then a few drives close by spinning at the same time or there G-sens error rate gose crazy and I also multizone error rate starts climbing so its a real issue just not smart registering a few raw values. I do not have that problem on the other drives that are 7 WD green and 2 Seagate baracudas. They can be spun up all of them with out any read/write errors in SMART but the samsungs are just killing me. But I cant just trow away 8Tb of storage so they have to serve the best they can.

So any way I cant find any way of browsing my share thats made up of individual hard drives with Xfe so usually when I brows the share with most file managers like say mc from terminal it will only spool up the drive once I access it and theres no cached pages in ram. But Xfe seems to think its a good idea to run ahead and probe the dirs of all drives once I enter the root of the share when theres no need for it. Takes like 20 seek to spool up 5400rpm greens drives and with 11 of 13 spun down 99% of the time it will take for ever before I can brows the dam thing.
I'm the only user on the file server so its not enterprise grade because theres no need so for the most time I use 1-2 drives at any give time and the rest are spun down.

So either I need to find a way for Xfe not to probe a dir until I actual enter that dir or I need a File manager that dose not try to access every dir in my share at once.

I have always had a hard time finding a file manager with GUI that I like. I have used Linux for 12 years I believe and gentoo for 11 of those years and I have never realy found one with a GUI that I like. I have tried gnomes and kde's file managers, Xfe is the closest one to what I would like but the biggest problem most have are the fact that there so dam buggy.

So stability is of grate concern. I use mc in a terminal 99.9% of the time (because its stable and reliable unlike most GUI based file managers I have tried) but I do want a good GUI option when I feel its faster and more practical for what ever reason.

So suggestions is appreciated. I would prefer if they didn't require any gnome or kde packages because I want to keep the system slim and pretty bare.
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not using mc I'm quite happy with spacefm ...

HTH
swimmer
pa1983
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes seems like that is a brows that could work for me. Now I think I found whats causing the other problem.

I know why gentoo file manager had such problem renaming files.

The fact that I try to rename for example "test" to "Test" is the problem. Sens samba imitates windows file sharing protocol I suppose it docent distinguish between high case and lower case letters. Thats a bummer. Never realy notice that shortcoming before. So the question the becomes. How do I get around this?

EDIT:
Dot know why but every time I write a forum post when I think I cant fix it my self I end up finding the solution :P

case sensitive = yes
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes

Added to smb.conf and now it works.

Still going with spacefm for starters and gentoo and Xfe will be unmerged.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: