Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Not Pursuing] Q: How to rearrange icons in Fluxbox taskbar?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solamour
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: [Not Pursuing] Q: How to rearrange icons in Fluxbox taskbar? Reply with quote

At least in Windows 7 and GNOME, I can grab the icon, drag it to where I want to place, and drop it, so that I can arrange the icons to my taste. But that doesn't seem to be the case in Fluxbox.

For example, when I open terminal, firefox, and eclipse, they are shown like the following, in the order they are opened.

Code:
terminal | firefox | eclipse

Suppose I'd like them to show up as

Code:
firefox | eclipse | terminal

Once they are up and running, there is no way for me to rearrange them. Well, I can close terminal and open it again (which would put it on the right side), but things would be quite complicated if there are many apps running and I want to rearrange them in a particular way. I'd appreciate any suggestions. It doesn't have to be drag-and-drop; even an alphabetical order would work.
__
sol

Last edited by solamour on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
solamour
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think that perhaps Fluxbox isn't exactly meant to be used like Windows 7 or GNOME. The reason I want to arrange the icons is to quickly switch among multiple programs by clicking on the icons on the taskbar. If, say, Firefox is always on the left, I don't need to hunt for it.

I've been playing with Fluxbox's keyboard shortcuts (http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Keyboard_shortcuts), and I think using the keyboard shortcuts seems more Fluxbox-ish, because I no longer need to hunt for the icons; for example, press CTRL + ALT + F to either start Firefox or bring it up if it's already running. Maybe that's why Fluxbox doesn't support drag-and-drop icon rearrangement.

Anyhow, I'd still be interested in the ways to rearrange the icons, but until then, I'm going to keep adding more shortcuts to my "~/.fluxbox/keys" file.
__
sol
solamour
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up mapping all the shortcut key combinations in "~/.fluxbox/keys", so now I rarely need to move the mouse pointer to the taskbar to select the apps.

I also shamelessly stole "find_app.sh" script from http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Keyboard_shortcuts, which 1) finds the app and bring it to top if it's already running and 2) if not, start the app. The problem was it didn't work quite well when I pass additional arguments, such as the following.

Code:
find_app.sh aterm -e 'vim ~/myfile.txt'

Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with the shortcut keys and going to stick with it. I don't feel I need to rearrange the icons, although I still would like to see such a feature.
__
sol
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: