View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, maybe I just screwed something up. I updated the ebuild and it's working here too. But servers are also too busy for TF2. Will try again tomorrow.

I hope this will give linux another push. Tired of lame official hardware support.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I'm still not entirely sure why it thinks it should create the Steam directory at ~/ instead of where the ~/.steam/root points at, I just moved it elsewhere and made a symbolic link for it...

After finally getting some space for TF2 (which seems to be the only game that actually does something else than pretending to install for me, it does seem that the servers are still busy (figures, I already expected that since yesterday, even before observing it happening on the Mint-test at the time).

Getting rather random Segmentation faults now as well, while it is preparing for the install (it segfaulted on Mint once, too, while it was actually doing nothing, but I digress).

As a side note, if I remember correctly, on Mint it did have a system-tray icon...
Toffer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started fresh (x86) and followed the wiki as it was 15 minutes ago, all listed dependies into place, but still stuck with what I believe is the font problem?

Code:

uns@hal9000 ~/steamscript $ ./install.sh
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Serial number of failed request:  12
  Current serial number in output stream:  13

Emerged font-bitstream-100dpi and ttf-bitstream-vera, still no success...
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toffer,

Did you restart X or/and re-log the user after installing the fonts? (New log-in probably isn't necessary, but that's what I did after installing the fonts, thus getting rid of that error. Perhaps env-update would have been enough? I forget.)
Toffer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Toffer,

Did you restart X or/and re-log the user after installing the fonts? (New log-in probably isn't necessary, but that's what I did after installing the fonts, thus getting rid of that error. Perhaps env-update would have been enough? I forget.)

I thought I did, most appearantly not then. Upgraded to the masked nvidia-drivers which i've forgotten and did a reboot, now it works.

Thank you for making me reboot a second time!

EDIT:

Looks like it needs just one of the font packages font-bitstream-100dpi OR font-adobe-100dpi.

I tried unmerging one at a time(including logout/login this time), and reproduced the failure only when both were unmerged.
iamben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten this working on amd64 with open drivers like intel/radeon/nouveau? It looks to me like mesa-8.x's libGL.so.1.2 (which is only used by open drivers, not nvidia/fglrx) does not provide all of the required symbols. x86 users can just use mesa-9.0 but amd64-multilib users are stuck on mesa-8 because that's what emul-linux-x86-opengl-20121028 provides.

I could be wrong, though.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamben wrote:
Has anyone gotten this working on amd64 with open drivers like intel/radeon/nouveau? It looks to me like mesa-8.x's libGL.so.1.2 (which is only used by open drivers, not nvidia/fglrx) does not provide all of the required symbols. x86 users can just use mesa-9.0 but amd64-multilib users are stuck on mesa-8 because that's what emul-linux-x86-opengl-20121028 provides.

I could be wrong, though.

I think that steam doesn't supports the foss drivers, at least not the radeon/nvidia due to lack of opengl support.
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
After finally getting some space for TF2 (which seems to be the only game that actually does something else than pretending to install for me, it does seem that the servers are still busy (figures, I already expected that since yesterday, even before observing it happening on the Mint-test at the time).

From what I've heard the servers aren't actually busy. That is just the message you get when trying to run TF2 without actually being part of the beta.
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who added pulseaudio to the wiki article? At least for amd64 it's wrong, can someone test for x86?

also encountered:

Quote:
[1108/160758:ERROR:shared_memory_posix.cc(167)] Creating shared memory in /dev/shm/org.chromium.Chromium.shmem.libcef_9638457701002737413 failed: Permission denied
[1108/160758:ERROR:shared_memory_posix.cc(170)] Unable to access(W_OK|X_OK) /dev/shm: Permission denied
[1108/160758:FATAL:shared_memory_posix.cc(172)] This is frequently caused by incorrect permissions on /dev/shm. Try 'sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm' to fix.

seems that steam makes use of tmpfs

so you would need to have /dev/shm mounted. Can someone confirm?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darklegion wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:

From what I've heard the servers aren't actually busy. That is just the message you get when trying to run TF2 without actually being part of the beta.

Heh, yeah, that's what I was thinking as well... I can certainly wait for the wide release to test more, nor was I expecting to get into the ßeta, but it was a little bit fun to try and get it running!

On that note, can someone explain the need for gcc-4.6 (other than “two of the libraries demand GLIBCXX_3.4.15 in libstc++”? I was wondering about it from the start, and now I switched the active one back to gcc-4.5, and it installs and starts up fine with that as well (now that all other dependencies are set).

Might definitely not be understanding something obvious, heh, like only having it installed is enough?

hasufell wrote:
also encountered:

Quote:
[1108/160758:ERROR:shared_memory_posix.cc(167)] Creating shared memory in /dev/shm/org.chromium.Chromium.shmem.libcef_9638457701002737413 failed: Permission denied
[1108/160758:ERROR:shared_memory_posix.cc(170)] Unable to access(W_OK|X_OK) /dev/shm: Permission denied
[1108/160758:FATAL:shared_memory_posix.cc(172)] This is frequently caused by incorrect permissions on /dev/shm. Try 'sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm' to fix.

I can confirm that steam creates a bunch of files such as the ValveIPCSharedObjects, Shm_<numbers>, and a bunch of org.chromium.Chromium.shmem.libcef_<numbers> files there (I don't even have chromium, and in fact get a “Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error”, perhaps relate?).

I didn't even remember I have a tmpfs... go memory!
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can the people who use ATI or intel add information to the wiki article? Is there a minimum version? Does foss work? I only tested with nvidia-card/driver.
ZeroDivide
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not part of the beta and couldn't get any games to install but I read a comment over on reddit that the world of goo demo works. I just tried it and it worked great. FYI I think it's still listed as a windows demo.

On another note, has anyone gotten flash to work in the steam client yet?
I tried to drop libflashplayer.so in the ~/Steam/ubuntu12_32 directory but it had no effect.
spacelike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeroDivide wrote:
I'm not part of the beta and couldn't get any games to install but I read a comment over on reddit that the world of goo demo works. I just tried it and it worked great. FYI I think it's still listed as a windows demo.

On another note, has anyone gotten flash to work in the steam client yet?
I tried to drop libflashplayer.so in the ~/Steam/ubuntu12_32 directory but it had no effect.

Just got it working.

Used this post:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/882965239653368215/

I already had a /usr/lib/firefox/plugins folder with the 64-bit flash plugin so to not make a conflict with that I created /usr/lib/browser-plugins instead (which did not exist)
Then just downloaded the 32-bit flash from the adobe website and extracted only the file libflashplayer.so into that folder. Restarted the steam client and flash works.

Should I add this to the wiki? Or someone else can
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
who added pulseaudio to the wiki article? At least for amd64 it's wrong, can someone test for x86?

also encountered:

Quote:

Are you sure that's not your browser (Chromium)?

Anyways, /dev/shm should be mounted automatically without an entry in fstab these days (devfs init script)
ZeroDivide
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacelike wrote:

Just got it working.

Used this post:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/882965239653368215/

I already had a /usr/lib/firefox/plugins folder with the 64-bit flash plugin so to not make a conflict with that I created /usr/lib/browser-plugins instead (which did not exist)
Then just downloaded the 32-bit flash from the adobe website and extracted only the file libflashplayer.so into that folder. Restarted the steam client and flash works.

That did the trick.. Thanks
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haarp wrote:
Are you sure that's not your browser (Chromium)?

I don't have Chromium.
spacelike wrote:

done.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Steam on amd64 today after making a simple ebuild. I already had all the emul packages installed as well as gcc-4.6. Steam started without issues using the command-line that is required if you are not part of the beta. A large number of my humble bundle games are showing in the list and I am able to install them. Most don't appear to run. I was able to download and run the full version of World of Goo. The in-game Steam overlay works when I push shift+tab. I did not try to get any achievements. I will continue trying to install games and report back if I find more that work.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the games in my Steam list, which is a pretty good number, the following work:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    And Yet It Moves
    Aquaria
    Darwinia
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    Space Pirates and Zombies
    Steel Storm: Burning Retribution
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
    Uplink
    World of Goo

The Steam overlay works in most of these games. I did not try to get any achievements. After installing the flash plugin I was also able to look at pictures and watch videos in the store. I also tried out the "Big Picture" mode and it worked without issue. I have not had any crashes. It pretty much works as expected except that I don't get the tray icon. I'm very excited about how much they have gotten done.
jd823592
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get:

http://bpaste.net/show/56856/

i have emul-linux-x86-{baselibs,gtklibs,opengl,sdl,soundlibs,xlibs,medialibs}-20121028
gcc-4.7

/usr/lib32/libgtk-1.2.so.0
/usr/lib32/libgtk-3.so.0
objdump -T /usr/lib32/libgtk-3.so | grep gtk_widget_device_is_shadowed #returns the symbol

/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1
objdump -T /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 | grep glBindFragDataLocationIndexed #returns nothing

Now i really dont know whats wrong :/ or how to fix it
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jd823592 wrote:
I get:
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1
objdump -T /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 | grep glBindFragDataLocationIndexed #returns nothing

Afaik you need >=mesa-9.0 if you are using open source drivers, e.g., nouveau, radeon. (which is not included in current emul*-2012-1028 packages)
iamben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, which means amd64-multilib users will need to wait until emul-linux-x86-opengl is bumped to mesa-9
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darklegion wrote:
The first error actually doesn't matter. It goes away when you fix the font error, which you can fix by installing a 100dpi font. Emerging "font-bitstream-100dpi" fixed it for me; font-adobe-100dpi didn't seem to work, which I tried first.

I get an error after that though, which supposedly is a result of missing dependencies. I'll have to find the actual binary to run ldd on it, to see what is missing.
are you sure about font-bitstream-100dpi for me there is no change after installing that font.

Flux & Contemplation - Portrait of an Artist in Isolation

jd823592
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
are you sure about font-bitstream-100dpi for me there is no change after installing that font.
did you restart X? made it load the font directory?
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look into the wiki for actual information http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, the little laptop I have been mentioning, which has the Steam client itself graphically glitching when using hardware acceleration, works well with World of Goo demo.

Only I have to stroll to the download page while using Gallium (which falls into using Software Rasterizer), because otherwise the interface is unreadable. The game itself runs perfectly fine from what I can see. I did expect it to run, but did not expect it to run that well.

That is using mesa-8.0.4-r1, by the by, with xf86-video-intel-2.20.12.

Using mesa-9 only Gallium “works”, so that's pretty much unusable for that machine.

I wonder if I could test some other demos as well. ^^

Last time I tried to install Amnesia, it didn't work, but looks like it's downloading now! Very nice. I have been meaning to buy the Penumbra series as well as Amnesia for Linux ever since I discovered that there are native Linux versions of them. I guess I don't need to do it any longer, though the games run fine via Wine, so the main reason for it would have been just to support them guys for supporting Linux...

I guess I can still do that, but I digress.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: