View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.maverick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc-4.6 is needed (two of the libraries demand GLIBCXX_3.4.15 in libstc++), libappindicator definitely not, I've got it running (apart from it messing with my mouse cursor) flawlessly on x86 without that over here using the ebuild I posted on bugzilla.

Problem though: It doesn't provide a normal systray icon :/
ph03
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do also have gcc-4.6 and no dev-libs/libappindicator installed and it is running fine (without tray icon, of course). Haven't been able to install TF2 using
Code:
./steam.sh steam://install/440
though, server claims to be busy but I haven't got a beta key either... Does anybody know if a beta key is required already for the installation of TF2?
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, after installing gcc-4.6 it starts but segfaults shortly after:

Quote:

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1352224866_client)
main.cpp (423) : Assertion Failed: Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
Assert( Assertion Failed: Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check ):/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamexe/./main.cpp:423

unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 1176 with name 0eBlobRegistryMutex_2AA7D511F4EF63DE0DBF4615AE863A07
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 1176 with name 0eBlobRegistrySignal_2AA7D511F4EF63DE0DBF4615AE863A07
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 1176 with name 0emSteamEngineInstance
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 1176 with name 0eSteamEngineLock
[1107/141215:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
[1107/141215:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
Uploading dump (in-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/crash_20121107141216_1.dmp
success = yes
response: CrashID=bp-304a1355-6957-48d6-991c-93fc42121107

Segmentation fault

I improved the list of dependencies a bit for amd64, will upload soon to https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=442176
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a strong feeling there is something missing in gentoos emul-linux-x86 packages. I have them all installed, but still get

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1352224866_client)
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily check with
Code:
LD_DEBUG="libs" ./steam.sh
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

$ LD_DEBUG="libs" ./steam.sh 2>&1 | grep error:
12105: /home/jule/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamui.so: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: _XGetRequest (fatal)

Quote:

$ ldd /home/jule/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamui.so | grep X11
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 (0xf62a9000)

Quote:

$ strings /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 | grep _XGet
_XGetAsyncReply
_XGetAsyncData
_XGetHostname
_XGetScanlinePad
_XGetWindowAttributes
_XGetBitsPerPixel
_XGetLCValues
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem solved, you need

=app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-20121028

20120520 does not have that symbol
ph03
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
problem solved, you need

=app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-20121028

20120520 does not have that symbol

Yeah if have all emul-linux-x86-*-20121028 installed and it worked.
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I updated the ebuild in the bug shortly before your first post hasufell.
But I'm still getting a segfault :(
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started a page in the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
I have a strong feeling there is something missing in gentoos emul-linux-x86 packages. I have them all installed, but still get

Did Steam actually not start start with that?

Asking because I got the exact same message on a Mint install, where I first tried this, but Steam does run regardless. It's on an ooold Fujitsu laptop so 32-bits only. I do have an issue when it does run, however. The graphics are messed up (some buttons for example have white boxes where there should be text, while the other button next to it with, CANCEL for example, shows up properly.

I'm suspecting the Intel graphics chip (or rather the drivers/chip combo) is the culprit there.

Off to try on Gentoo with nVidia next!
.maverick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel graphics works over here. Maybe you are missing fonts? corefonts or ttf-bitstream-vera maybe?
ph03
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody managed to install the TF2 beta with a running steam already?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.maverick wrote:
Intel graphics works over here. Maybe you are missing fonts? corefonts or ttf-bitstream-vera maybe?

I figured that might be the case, and tried some fonts out (now including your suggestion as well), but no help. It's not only the buttons with fonts, either. For example in the Steam Login screen, where there should be the Steam-logo, the minimise and close buttons (_ and X), the 'remember my password' box, and “Login” have white boxes covering more or less of them.

Interestingly, if I start typing a password, one character shows as a *, when I type in the next character, they are covered by a whiteness. When I type the third one, they all appear as * again.

Four and five is whiteness, and after six, they show up as stars until the whole area is filled, where the whiteness comes again. Must be something about the length/size of things. :S

In any case, the reason I was suspecting the Intel/driver being an issue, the particular machine is affected by this (I believe): [855gm] GPU hang whilst playing Imperialism 2 under wine (@ bugs.freedesktop.org).

Granted, I've only really experienced it with DirectX apps, not OpenGL.
ANYblue, that's just another story; getting off-topic'ish.

Edit:

On Gentoo, I should be OK after installing gcc-4.6, I guess (that, or I have to compile everything with it first), but it simply exits with the same “Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1352224866_client)” message, hrm.

Also, is there something obviously wrong with the /usr/bin/steam claiming that “# these variables can be overridden on commandline”? I don't have room in the default path to install anything large. While I was able to make Steam install to a custom location by editing the /usr/bin/steam itself, using the variable LAUNCHSTEAMDIR=/blah/blah only results to:

Code:

/usr/bin/steam: line 64: /blah/blah/steam.sh: No such file or directory

hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Chiitoo
that's why the ebuild is useless

place the .desktop file, the bootstraplinux_ubuntu12_32.tar.xz and this script http://slexy.org/view/s2iz51l62y in one folder, edit it to your liking, run it and be done

add known dependencies to the wiki article
dapp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuild worked fine for me. It's not entirely useless as it keeps needed dependencies installed without cluttering /var/lib/portage/world. The steam installed into /usr is just small installer which downloads and installs steam into ~/Steam.
Russel-Athletic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I try to start steam (with the ebuild from the bug report) and use LD_DEBUG="libs" I get these errors. I am running radeon open source drivers and emul-linux-xlibs-20121028. Without the env variable I just get a segfault crash.
Anybody an idea?

Code:

10359:     /home/USER/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: gtk_widget_device_is_shadowed (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glBindFragDataLocationIndexed (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glBlitFramebufferEXT (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glBlitFramebufferANGLE (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGetQueryObjecti64v (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGetQueryObjectui64v (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGetTranslatedShaderSourceANGLE (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glQueryCounter (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleANGLE (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glTexStorage2DEXT (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGenFencesNV (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glDeleteFencesNV (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glSetFenceNV (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glTestFenceNV (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glFinishFenceNV (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glIsFenceNV (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glGetFenceivNV (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXCopySubBufferMESA (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXBindTexImageEXT (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXReleaseTexImageEXT (fatal)
     10359:     /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: glXSwapIntervalEXT (fatal)

Oh I seem to have fixed it. Problem was probably emul-linux-x86-sdl library.

Last edited by Russel-Athletic on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dapp wrote:
The ebuild worked fine for me. It's not entirely useless as it keeps needed dependencies installed without cluttering /var/lib/portage/world. The steam installed into /usr is just small installer which downloads and installs steam into ~/Steam.

That's hardly an argument. You can use "sets". Create a file called "/etc/portage/sets/steam" and enter all the needed deps there.

then "emerge @steam"
spacelike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
place the .desktop file, the bootstraplinux_ubuntu12_32.tar.xz and this script http://slexy.org/view/s2iz51l62y in one folder, edit it to your liking, run it and be done

I did this and still get the message:
no other info, and it just quits.

I did also updated to: =app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-20121028
But same error.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up to my above testing, still not running on the 64-bit main-machine (not yet sure what is missing), but I tried on a Gentoo install on the little laptop that has graphical weirdness when using Mint.

That is a ~x86 install, and using the ebuild to easily get the dependencies, it would almost be ready to run, but I would need to grab fonts for it still. I'm not sure which fonts did the trick, since I re-started X only after 2 or 3 packages, but I would either font-bitstream-100dp as mentioned by darklegion, or ttf-bitstream-vera as mentioned by .maverick.

So it runs without the graphical glitches that way, only it is using software rasterizer, because gallium does not work with this old chip, as I understand it, and with classic, I get the GLXBadContext X Window System error.

That is with mesa-9~, and I imagine the graphical glitches will happen there as well if I try mesa-8~ (confirmed later with 8.0.4-r1).

Moreover, when trying to install something (this happened with Mint as well), for example Osmos or Penumbra or Amnesia, it will say it is/was installing, but doesn't download anything, and it will show them as installed, but the folder it creates are empty. :S

Don't have space on that tiny little thing to even try and start downloading TF2.

While writing this, I noticed the addition of app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs to the deps. I guess I forgot to install that earlier... silly me. Not sure why app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-sdl is now a block? I'm not removing that since it's depended on by packages such as wine and znes currently.

After installing them gtklibs (facepalm), it works, but it's still trying to install the games to ~/ even though the launch path is different, meaning no space to install anything, ha! I've been meaning to sort my partitions for ages...

spacelike wrote:
hasufell wrote:

I did this and still get the message:
no other info, and it just quits.

I did also updated to: =app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-20121028
But same error.

I do believe that 'error' is not an error, or at least not fatal, because as I stated earlier, I got it on Mint where the thing runs OK (and I get it now on Gentoo just as well, where it runs). I would suggest you to check that you have all the emul-linux libs that are needed.
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the wiki page https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam

As said there... ask here first, post your solutions and if people confirm that it works, update the wiki page.
The bugreport (ebuild request) is not for discussion on getting this experimental piece of software working.
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my system, steam segfaults after startup if emul-sdl is installed. I guess it's interfering with the sdl-lib provided by steam itself. If no one else can confirm this, I'll remove the block.
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

empanyc wrote:
On my system, steam segfaults after startup if emul-sdl is installed. I guess it's interfering with the sdl-lib provided by steam itself. If no one else can confirm this, I'll remove the block.

it does not work _without_ app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-sdl here.

error message when x86 sdl is uninstalled:
Quote:

Main.cpp (1840) : Assertion Failed: !"Fatal Error: VGUI_Setup failed"
Assert( Assertion Failed: !"Fatal Error: VGUI_Setup failed" ):/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamui/Main.cpp:1840
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

empanyc wrote:

Ah, I see!

I do have app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-sdl-20121028 installed (have not tried without), and no segfaults here (can log in successfully and mess around with non-installing applications just as with my Mint-test, only without the graphical glitches other than the mouse cursor being flipped from left to right (or from right to left, whatever)).

Last edited by Chiitoo on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
spacelike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I got it working guys thanks. I had 2 more things to do

so I can confirm that it did not work until updating to gcc-4.6
and it also did not work without emul-linux-x86-sdl-20121028
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: