View previous topic :: View next topic  
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
queen,
Code:
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device c0d8
        Kernel driver in use: ahci

Tells that you need SCSI Disk and the AHCI driver as built ins. You may also need AHCI Platform too. That seems to be BIOS dependent.

Your fdisk tells that you really have a MSDOS Partition Table, so you need support for it. That was missing further up the thread.
You also need your root filesystem support built in. That covers the hardware settings.

The boot process won't get very far after root is mounted unless you also have DEVTMPFS and mount DEVTMPFS. If you miss that, udev will hate you.

First of all, now it boots. So thanks a lot for all the help. I will add the ahci platform too, even though it booted already without it. MSDOS Partition Table indeed exists and I have dos support and all the other windows filesystems. Settings of DEVTMPFS and mount DEVTMPFS are OK. Root filesystem is ext4 and it's built in.

I still have 4 issues that I need to solve:

1. scsi_wait_scan hangs for quite a long time. I can't disable it in the kernel. I also commented scsi_wait_scan in /etc/conf.d/modules but it doesn't help. What can I do about it? It quite annoying.

2. The fan works all the time. It's not noisy but I don't understand why it has to work all the time. Starts working right away after the boot. What will be the correct approach?

3. USB during boot it shows that USB-2-1 was detected. There should be 2 ports of usb2 and 2 ports of usb3. As far as I saw usb 3 is xHCI and it is enabled in the kernel. So what's USB-2-1? It detected 6 ports of usb. weird. I know of only 4.

4. For some reasons i don't get the login manager kdm even though I have DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm and xdm is added to default run-level. I have hybrid intel and amd 7600 series. In VIDEO_CARDS=fglrx,intel

Queen

Last edited by queen on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen,

Why do you think scsi_wait_scan hangs?
With only one HDD it will do nothing. It delays the spin up of HDDs until they are addressed. This saves the power pulse of all the HDDS spinning up together and is generally a good thing. From memory, its forces as a module, so it won't be loaded when your one and only HDD spins up. Further, not all drives support it anyway.

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS=fglrx,intel
Thats the wrong syntax, so it probably doesn't do what you want, nor what you expect.

Your motherboard will have a temperature sensor and probably a fan speed controller too.
You need kernel support and possibly a user space tool or two

Where do you have DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm ?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS=fglrx,intel
Thats the wrong syntax, so it probably doesn't do what you want, nor what you expect.

Your motherboard will have a temperature sensor and probably a fan speed controller too.
You need kernel support and possibly a user space tool or two

Where do you have DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm ?

I found now the guide. The syntax for VIDEO_CARDS should be without the comma.

About the fan, I enabled it in the kernel. Do you happen to know which user space tools I should use?

I have 2 ports of USB 3 and 2 ports of usb 2. It detects USB-2-1. And reports about 6 ports. Is it due to AHCI PLATFORM? I know the driver for usb 3 is xHCI and I have it enabled in the kernel

Quote:
Where do you have DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm

In /etc/conf.d/xdm
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are few more issues. Besides that USB 3 is not detected (even though I enabled xhci and xhci platform and ahci, ahci platform) and ehci is enabled for usb2 should I enable ohci, uhci too?

The 2nd problem is that it can't determine the hardware clock. Is it related to the usb problem? I have this feeling that it doesn't read everything from the bios. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen,

Please pastebin your dmesg output so we can see what happened during startup.

The content of /proc/interrupts may be interesting too.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
queen,

Please pastebin your dmesg output so we can see what happened during startup.

The content of /proc/interrupts may be interesting too.

dmesg output:
http://pastebin.com/zP2UwDcw

output of /proc/interrupts:

Code:

cat interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3       CPU4       CPU5       CPU6       CPU7       
  0:        126          0          0          0          0          0          0          1   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:       1248          0          0          0         21          9          1          1   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  8:        103          0          0          0         10          4          1          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc0
  9:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 12:       4298          0          1          0        441        124         33          8   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
 16:      54563          3          4          3       1648        634         85         12   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1
 17:        370          0          0          0         53         74          0          1   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ath9k
 23:          0          0          0          0         20          5          1          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2
 41:       6877          1          1          0        271        185         31          3   PCI-MSI-edge      ahci
 42:       1194          4          1          0        116         82         25          5   PCI-MSI-edge      xhci_hcd
 44:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      eth0
 45:        443          1          0          0        548         25          5         13   PCI-MSI-edge      snd_hda_intel
NMI:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
LOC:      63165      29565      26725      27541      24384      24715      22499      27578   Local timer interrupts
SPU:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Spurious interrupts
PMI:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Performance monitoring interrupts
IWI:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IRQ work interrupts
RTR:          7          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   APIC ICR read retries
RES:      17938       4491       1167        864        529        330        326        319   Rescheduling interrupts
CAL:        112        266        267        261        258        265        270        243   Function call interrupts
TLB:       3157       3240       3411       3298       4508       4224       4404       4286   TLB shootdowns
TRM:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
THR:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Threshold APIC interrupts
MCE:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Machine check exceptions
MCP:          5          5          5          5          5          5          5          5   Machine check polls
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

kdm.log file I still can't login. I get a black screen.
http://pastebin.com/Pv25zbQs

rc.log
http://pastebin.com/HJvS4L4A

Xorg.log.0 output.
http://pastebin.com/v5xNzAx0
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen,

xhci_hcd is generating IRQs and appears normally in dmesg.
Why do you say it doesn't work?

Xorg isn't running for you. The log says
Code:
[    83.413] Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

Xorg also successfully loads the intel driver before it dies.

Play with just one video driver at a time.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
queen,

xhci_hcd is generating IRQs and appears normally in dmesg.
Why do you say it doesn't work?

Xorg isn't running for you. The log says
Code:
[    83.413] Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

Xorg also successfully loads the intel driver before it dies.

Play with just one video driver at a time.

The dmesg I sent was a clean dmesg without mouse or disk on key in the ports. In the begining it didn't see usb3 at all. Now apparently it works. The weird results appeared when I plugged the mouse in the usb2 port. It used the xhci driver and reported low speed. I know that usb3 has a fallback to usb2/usb1. So I can understand the low speed claim. But I can't understand why it used the xhci driver.

Regarding Xorg, I decided to remove intel driver inside. I want to try first with the amd card. I didn't remove xf86-video-intel package and in the kernel, but removed only from /etc/make.conf and xorg.

I know it seg faults. I don't understand what's wrong there. Do I have to add the keyboard and mouse in xorg.conf or it's enough that this is dealt by udev? I removed all the unnecessary xf86-video-*.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen,

You probably need to remove Intel and KMS from your kernel too.

An xorg.conf with just a device section should be enough.
udev will do the rest.

If you don't likes the default USA keyboard layout, you will also need and Input Class section for the keyboard, so you can set your keyboard layout.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
queen,

You probably need to remove Intel and KMS from your kernel too.

An xorg.conf with just a device section should be enough.
udev will do the rest.

If you don't likes the default USA keyboard layout, you will also need and Input Class section for the keyboard, so you can set your keyboard layout.

I disabled kms, intel in the kernel too. There is a small progress that I have a cursor on the screen, but nothing more.

Here is the full log of Xorg.0.log. http://pastebin.com/ejRzUirw
Code:
grep EE Xorg.0.log

[    79.635] (EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module does not exist, 0) //I don't know from where this comes from
[    79.765] (EE) fglrx(0): Invalid video BIOS signature!
[    79.765] (EE) fglrx(0): GetBIOSParameter failed
[    79.765] (EE) fglrx(0): PreInitAdapter failed
[    79.765] (EE) fglrx(0): PreInit failed
[    79.766] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[    79.780]
Fatal server error:
[    79.780] no screens found

BTW, Direct rendering for fglrx should be disabled according to this link:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Fglrx
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen,

I've never seen this before - I'm not even sure if it matters. All video cards are VGA compliant ... I thought.

Code:
[    79.765] (II) fglrx(0): Invalid ATI BIOS from int10, the adapter is not VGA-enabled

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
queen,

I've never seen this before - I'm not even sure if it matters. All video cards are VGA compliant ... I thought.

Code:
[    79.765] (II) fglrx(0): Invalid ATI BIOS from int10, the adapter is not VGA-enabled

I saw some posts over the internet to disable the BusId and it solves the problem. I tried it but it didn't help. Further, if one wants to use hybrid graphics, the BusId must be present.

So far I still get a black screen. I can login from black screen but if I try startx, I get No screens found. And in Xorg.0.log appear all the errors mentioned
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: